Trigger pull

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like mine about 4 pounds. Not too light as I'm forced to shoot with gloves in later seasons and less than that can go off before I'm ready.

Crisp is more important to me than actaul weight.

Anyone else have an opinioin on trigger pull?

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
3lbs is a good pull. Not too much, but not enough to discharge the rifle on accident. And like everyone else, it needs to be crisp.

FURMAN

WKR
I like mine around 1.5 lbs. I do make sure they will not slam fire. A couple of my varmint rigs are set at 10oz.

tstowater

WKR
Big game rifles are 4+/- and varmint rifles are lighter (2-3). Need to be clean and crisp. Problems arise when too heavy or too light. Too many of the new factory rifles are not good for assorted reasons, usually too heavy.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear I'm pretty normal.

rfurman24: 10 ounces! Hope the wind isn't blowing.

Yes, some factory guns amaze me at the poor triggers. Seems like it wouldn't cost much for a factory to engineer a good trigger for heaven's sake. Picked up my cousin's gun (I'll call it "x" brand) and thought I was going to need a come-along and a tree to pop a cap! He'd been shooting it so long, he thought it was fine. Probably 8 pounds or more!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The savage accutriggers I have owned and used have all been nice and clean straight from the factory. Easy to safely adjust too.

I'm with you Robby, I've had Pete adjust the triggers on my rifles to the 3.5-4lb range.

About 2-3# on every one of my rifles. Definately not over 3. Some of the factory triggers are very nice if tuned correctly. I have a Timney on one gun. Money well spent, once you know what a good trigger feels like it is hard to shoot anything else. I will clarify that a little: not difficult to shoot but noticeably easier to shoot with a good one.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
About 2-3# on every one of my rifles. Definately not over 3. Some of the factory triggers are very nice if tuned correctly. I have a Timney on one gun. Money well spent, once you know what a good trigger feels like it is hard to shoot anything else. I will clarify that a little: not difficult to shoot but noticeably easier to shoot with a good one.

Did the Timney make a huge difference? I considered one for my model 700, But that trigger is pretty that's on it now. Is it worth the investment?

Did the Timney make a huge difference? I considered one for my model 700, But that trigger is pretty that's on it now. Is it worth the investment?

Timney makes a solid trigger and if you ever shoot one under three lbs you will have a hard time going back to a sloppy trigger. I forget what Exact year but the Remington 700 triggers pre 2006 are 95% of an aftermarket trigger when tuned. Same with savage accutrigger... current 700 triggers aren't too great from the few new senderos I've played with. Just my personal opinion and experience...

Mike

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a rem 700 guy with all my triggers set at 30oz with lightweight firing pin and a heavy firing pin spring.

I also do not like much creep in my trigger, there are a bunch of long range guys who actually prefer to have creep in their triggers just for a mental preparation I believe.

JG358

WKR
Hunting rifles are 2.5-3 lbs, Target/Varmit rifles are .5 -1.5 lbs... crisp with 0 creep.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Timney makes a solid trigger and if you ever shoot one under three lbs you will have a hard time going back to a sloppy trigger. I forget what Exact year but the Remington 700 triggers pre 2006 are 95% of an aftermarket trigger when tuned. Same with savage accutrigger... current 700 triggers aren't too great from the few new senderos I've played with. Just my personal opinion and experience...

Mike

Well mine is a pre 2006. The trigger is nice on it now. Almost am considering an aftermarket one if they are that great.