trigger weight for an ultralight rifle

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to see what others are doing. For background, I have a jewel trigger in my 300WM model 70 that weighs 9 lb, 110z and that has worked well for me elk hunting in Colorado.

I have a Kimber Mt Ascent on order. Total weight with scope should be around 5 1/2 lb-6 lbs. The factory setting for the trigger is set around 3 1/2-4 lbs

I am planning on setting this trigger to 2 1/2 lbs as well.

Thanks in advance.

2 1/2 lbs is on the heavy side in my tastes, I usually set my triggers at~ 1lb,12oz~ including my kids rifles. In the end it's going to be your personal preference on what is safe in YOUR rifle and what you are comfortable shooting accurately from field positions.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure it's all person preference but for me (with a scope) anything below 1.5lbs for hunting just seems light. Over 2.5lbs feels heavy. That 1.75 to 2 lb range is what I'd prefer.

Open sights, I really don't care. I shoot 4.5 lbs with peep sights and don't notice but that is for sub 100 yard shots.

tdot

WKR
2lbs, anything less seems just way too light for me when I have cold or wet hands.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
1.75-2 lbs in all of mine. 1.5 lb feels too sporty. 3.5 lb feels like I'm dragging a rock and I can see the reticle move.

Dhbwa

WKR
I'm sure it's all person preference but for me (with a scope) anything below 1.5lbs for hunting just seems light. Over 2.5lbs feels heavy. That 1.75 to 2 lb range is what I'd prefer.

Open sights, I really don't care. I shoot 4.5 lbs with peep sights and don't notice but that is for sub 100 yard shots.

^This^

My preference is 1.5-1.75lbs.

Just make sure you slam the hell out of the bolt a few times and bump the gun around some before you call it safe. My Kimbers won’t go below 1.75 without slam firing - granted this is working the bolt and literally slamming it closed but still, bumped it up to 1.75 and no issues anymore.

My preference is 1.5-1.75lbs.

Just make sure you slam the hell out of the bolt a few times and bump the gun around some before you call it safe. My Kimbers won’t go below 1.75 without slam firing - granted this is working the bolt and literally slamming it closed but still, bumped it up to 1.75 and no issues anymore.
Interesting. This is why I set my Kimbers at 1lb,12oz as well. Anything less and they slam fire
8400m

I’m also in the 1.5 to 1.75 crowd. I was handling some new rifles at sportsmans yesterday and the factory triggers felt ungodly heavy to me.

16Bore

WKR
Pull weight doesn’t matter, knowing when it brakes does. I prefer heavier than most and if I have a tight hold on a heavy kicker, I want a heavy trigger.

Make a fist and see how much “feel” you have in your trigger finger, when you try and “disconnect” it from the rest of your grip.

Yeah....it’s mind scramble now. It’s like asking someone if they inhale, exhale, or hold their breath during their back swing.

🤯