Trijicon Ascent and Huron 3-12x40 Scope

Anybody have any experience with these scopes? There is not a lot of information out there yet since these are 2 new lines of scopes. I'm primarily looking at the Ascent with the BDC Target Hold reticle (MOA-type) to use on a general purpose elk/deer rifle.

As an alternative, I might be interested in the Huron with the BDC Hunter Holds reticle (traditional BDC-type).

The Ascent and Huron appear to be the same scopes with different reticles, but I think I'd prefer the MOA-style reticle. My biggest concern is that the reticle is not too fine, since my eyesight continues to get worse as I get older. I have a Bushnell LRTS 3-12x and Nightforce SHV 3-10x MOAR and find the reticles to be on the edge of usability for hunting purposes. I really like the glass in my Accupoint 3-9x40, so I think the Ascent may be a good higher magnification option. A bonus would be if these scopes could occasionally be dialed for elevation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shraggs

WKR
Getting experience with the credo soon and lots of years with accupoints. Good scopes in general. Not sure they have the longer... range for hunters figured out.

OP
L
Nobody has looked through either of these scopes and can give me an opinion on the reticles? I do not think I can find one locally to see for myself.

OP
L
Getting experience with the credo soon and lots of years with accupoints. Good scopes in general. Not sure they have the longer... range for hunters figured out.
The Credo is getting a little too rich for my blood in the higher magnifications and was hoping for a little more than 3-9x40. Which scope are you getting and with what reticle...Mil-Square or Precision Hunter reticle? I take it you have not looked through the Credo firsthand.

Shraggs

WKR
I ownthe credo 1-6 x 24. And a swfa 1-6 hd. This is a unique project for a light fast handling elk gun. Browning blr in 358 win. Not done loading it but it will probably land with 400-440 range using 220 hammer hunters. I’m good with 6 power to 400 yards but needed a fast reticle in bear country. I looked at the NF 1-8 nx8 too but passed. I like these two very much.

the swfa ended up on blr and I put the credo on my 20” ar for coyotes. Both are mrad ffp.

51ECA4FB-1F37-458E-9D80-0543BA3C82D3.jpeg

F1B434BC-561F-4CA5-864D-1D52FDF5A6B3.jpeg

Shraggs

WKR
some comments to another member on this forum as I tried for the right solution:

“thought id keep you updated on this project. so have both in possession. both nice scopes, your right the swfa is good glass, i thought trijicon a touch better, brighter and more detail - but very close. both reticles very similar and close - loved them both, but swfa get the nood. neither has zero stop. both dail, but the turrets on swfa certainly more reader/user friendly. neither is daylight bright on full power illumination here in sunlight with snow. both are very bright for any mixed lighting, or in timber or cloudy days. the trijicon had some artifacts in the dark at very low power, not useable until setting 3, swfa good down to 1. fov much larger in trijicon and massive difference in weight favoring trijicon. last, on one power in birght conditions, neither works like NF bright, so i turned them off and keep on one power to see which i acquired quicker - no contest here - the solid black circle was larger, bolder and very visible where the trijicon was acceptable - smaller and segments detracted a bit - doable. overall (excluding proven reliability dailing) the trijicon is to me a slightly better scope. score swfa 5 trijicon 3 one tie on attribute tradeoffs. you laughing at my ocd...

not to make to much of bears, but if im looking for a "cqb" ability on one power in any light, and stretch this amazing killer of game with the rainbow trajectory dailing - im leaning towards the swfa. fov probably not that big a deal, the weight is. i can take my very nice leather sling and my leather wrap and laced comb riser off and save 4-6 oz right there. just need to find something very light to raise comb that i don't have to ruin this beautiful wood with screws.”

Shraggs

WKR
I have two light weight mountain bolt guns I’m also going to re scope as I transition to dialing and stretch my range.

trijicon is high in the running with the 2.5-10 x 42 along with the NF nxs 2.5-10 and swfa 3-9.

trijicon doesn’t have the reputation for reliable dialing if the other two, but form has recent experience that they are doing well. Beyond that I have 3 accupoints and they’ve been bombproof in use.

going to pm you too

John

morgaj1

WKR
I have two light weight mountain bolt guns I’m also going to re scope as I transition to dialing and stretch my range.

trijicon is high in the running with the 2.5-10 x 42 along with the NF nxs 2.5-10 and swfa 3-9.

trijicon doesn’t have the reputation for reliable dialing if the other two, but form has recent experience that they are doing well. Beyond that I have 3 accupoints and they’ve been bombproof in use.

going to pm you too

John

Are you seeing reports of unreliable tracking with Trijicons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
No I’m not but I’m just moving in that direction. Dialing that is.

formidilosus a member here sees tens of thousands of rounds annually on every imaginable optic, platform etc and has not seen problems with their equipment. Apparently keeps records too, so I trust statistical proof. That said trijicon is pretty new compared to hundreds of thousands of rounds observed thru night force, swfa, leupold, etc.

OP
L
I ownthe credo 1-6 x 24. And a swfa 1-6 hd. This is a unique project for a light fast handling elk gun. Browning blr in 358 win. Not done loading it but it will probably land with 400-440 range using 220 hammer hunters. I’m good with 6 power to 400 yards but needed a fast reticle in bear country. I looked at the NF 1-8 nx8 too but passed. I like these two very much.

the swfa ended up on blr and I put the credo on my 20” ar for coyotes. Both are mrad ffp.

View attachment 276548

View attachment 276549
Love that BLR in stainless. That setup will be a bear hammer in the thick woods!

OP
L
some comments to another member on this forum as I tried for the right solution:

“thought id keep you updated on this project. so have both in possession. both nice scopes, your right the swfa is good glass, i thought trijicon a touch better, brighter and more detail - but very close. both reticles very similar and close - loved them both, but swfa get the nood. neither has zero stop. both dail, but the turrets on swfa certainly more reader/user friendly. neither is daylight bright on full power illumination here in sunlight with snow. both are very bright for any mixed lighting, or in timber or cloudy days. the trijicon had some artifacts in the dark at very low power, not useable until setting 3, swfa good down to 1. fov much larger in trijicon and massive difference in weight favoring trijicon. last, on one power in birght conditions, neither works like NF bright, so i turned them off and keep on one power to see which i acquired quicker - no contest here - the solid black circle was larger, bolder and very visible where the trijicon was acceptable - smaller and segments detracted a bit - doable. overall (excluding proven reliability dailing) the trijicon is to me a slightly better scope. score swfa 5 trijicon 3 one tie on attribute tradeoffs. you laughing at my ocd...

not to make to much of bears, but if im looking for a "cqb" ability on one power in any light, and stretch this amazing killer of game with the rainbow trajectory dailing - im leaning towards the swfa. fov probably not that big a deal, the weight is. i can take my very nice leather sling and my leather wrap and laced comb riser off and save 4-6 oz right there. just need to find something very light to raise comb that i don't have to ruin this beautiful wood with screws.”
I have an SWFA 3-9x and have never been impressed with the glass or the turrets. Mine are mushy, but it's new so I hope that works itself out. I love the mil-quad SWFA reticle, and seems to be a bold enough reticle that won't wash out in the dark woods during a hunting situation.

As for switching out your leather, check out the neoprene cheek riser kit in brown from Beartooth Products (cheap and light).

OP
L
No I’m not but I’m just moving in that direction. Dialing that is.

formidilosus a member here sees tens of thousands of rounds annually on every imaginable optic, platform etc and has not seen problems with their equipment. Apparently keeps records too, so I trust statistical proof. That said trijicon is pretty new compared to hundreds of thousands of rounds observed thru night force, swfa, leupold, etc.
I thought I'd heard some whispers from his camp that the Trijicons have tested well so far. Between that and positive experiences with the Accupoint, I was thinking there might be some new Trijicon options worth trying.

OP
L
Be sure to check out the eye relief numbers on the Huron and Ascent model that interests you.
The listed eye relief specs do seem to be a bit of a concern. The Ascent lists 2.2-3.2" of eye relief. However my Accupoint is listed at 3.2-3.6" of eye relief, and I didn't have a problem with it on my 30-06, and it visually seems to have more than enough room. Now take this with a grain of salt, as I read elsewhere on the internet that Trijicon is giving you the "sweet spot" for eye relief whereas other manufacturers may be giving you what they consider all "useable" eye relief. I would hope that with Trijicons history of being used on hard-recoiling African big game rifles, that they would give us adequate eye relief for scopes used on softer-recoiling rifles.

They do make a point on their website to say that the Huron line is for whitetail hunters....so I wonder if they have non-magnum and short action cartridges in mind, and thus the smaller eye relief.

Shraggs

WKR
Thanks for the reciprocal help back!

ive seen the bear tooth but hard to tell quality from a pic. My leather is nice but heavy.

really interesting comments on your turrets. Never handled the 3-9, so so noted. $600 for reliable dialing is attractive. My new 1-6 is pretty impressive actually, but it’s near a grand oddly. Swfa has reticle that works for hunting to me.

my write up above between them was after considerable time viewing in a lot of lighting conditions. They were close but trijicon beat it. All of my now 5 trijicon scopes have great glass and I had them for years.

I’ve looked thru several if the new credo models in higher magnification and all very good. For me that 2.5-10 checks my list of features, but it’s the only one other than the 1-6.

Shraggs

WKR
Oh, I did talk to trijicon tech service. According to them the lower price lines like the Huron are the same construction through out internally and glass. Minus fiber or illumination but basically accupoints. So limited range adjustment. But the trend in white tail is a lot bdc. So I guess repurposed bits and pieces to get to a market price for an untapped market for them.

I did look thru one Huron and it was typical good glass w a bdc

OP
L
They do make a point on their website to say that the Huron line is for whitetail hunters....so I wonder if they have non-magnum and short action cartridges in mind, and thus the smaller eye relief.
Hard to say...but I also did find it suspicious that they singled out "whitetail" vs. "deer" or "big game" hunters. I think that would be silly to base their shorter eye relief on recoil. Some of the worst kickers I've had were non-magnum. Maybe the Huron being tailored to whitetail hunters has to do with the reticles, or that they are a Michigan-based company (whitetail country).

Shraggs

WKR
Here in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana - lots slug guns. Trijicon pretty popular here in their home state. Mine hurts enough and sports the original 1.25-4 accupoints. I agree they are generous on eye relief.

OP
L
Thanks for the reciprocal help back!

ive seen the bear tooth but hard to tell quality from a pic. My leather is nice but heavy.

really interesting comments on your turrets. Never handled the 3-9, so so noted. $600 for reliable dialing is attractive. My new 1-6 is pretty impressive actually, but it’s near a grand oddly. Swfa has reticle that works for hunting to me.

my write up above between them was after considerable time viewing in a lot of lighting conditions. They were close but trijicon beat it. All of my now 5 trijicon scopes have great glass and I had them for years.

I’ve looked thru several if the new credo models in higher magnification and all very good. For me that 2.5-10 checks my list of features, but it’s the only one other than the 1-6.
Shraggs...my SWFA scope is quite new and I have not had a chance to do any dialing. I need to check and see if there is some thick grease in their I need to remove. Otherwise, the Trijicon glass (Accupoint) is brighter/clearer to my eye...but again that SWFA MQ reticle looks to be a winner for hunting.