Trijicon Credo 4-16×50 review

prm

WKR
There seems to be little rhyme or reason for Trijicon designs and naming conventions. Why is the 2-10x36 Credo FFP and Mil, while the 2-10x56 is SFP? Just one example.

I want a 3-12x42 (40-44) in FFP/Mil with a reticle that remains excellent for hunting at low power. Keep it in the low 20oz range and I’ll buy a few. Even 10x max would be fine for me.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
There seems to be little rhyme or reason for Trijicon designs and naming conventions. Why is the 2-10x36 Credo FFP and Mil, while the 2-10x56 is SFP? Just one example.

I want a 3-12x42 (40-44) in FFP/Mil with a reticle that remains excellent for hunting at low power. Keep it in the low 20oz range and I’ll buy a few. Even 10x max would be fine for me.
I'm curious why you want ffp for such low magnification?
I really don't like ffp on a scope less than 18x, there's really no benefit

prm

WKR
I'm curious why you want ffp for such low magnification?
I really don't like ffp on a scope less than 18x, there's really no benefit
With the right reticle design you can have the best of both worlds. Bold enough to see in timber on quick shots, accurate mil scale at mid and higher zoom levels. A bit easier to do when the zoom ratio isn’t too high. I like having it be accurate at all times. On my 2-10x36 I can be at 6x, 8x, or 10x, whatever, and its accurate. .5 and 1 mil are generally very good holdovers for 200 and 300 yds, if you need them quickly. One less thing for me to screw up. I’m not hard over on FFP, but with the right reticle I do prefer it over SFP. Problem is there are very few good reticles IMO. Most fail with the 10 or 12 mil of windage that result in the reticle being too fine for my liking.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Update:
I've been using this scope pretty hard over the past month, dialing it out to 1340 yards.
I continue to be really impressed with this scope, the clarity makes even 1000 yards plus really doable at 16x.
Yesterday I did a tall target tracking test dialing up 30 moa then back to zero for each shot.
Here's the results
Shot 1 required a zero adjustment then I verified RTZ twice
20220429_113641.jpg
4 shots into a 1/2" group right on the money, I dialed back to zero then up 30 moa between each shot.

20220429_113757.jpg

wcoats

FNG
Thanks for the write up and review. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on buying the Credo 4-16x50. I have a Burgara B14 HMR that I cut down to 18" to use as a cross over rifle that I can shoot steel with but that isn't to big and heavy to take deer hunting that I've been trying to decide on a scope for. I was thinking about the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 but I'm liking the looks of the Credo 4-16 and like that I can get it with a MIL reticle.

Scopelist and Euro Optic both have them on for a great deal right now. Seems like an amazing value.

wcoats

FNG
I just noticed Scopelist has the Tenmile HX 3-18x50 SFP with the same MIL reticle for $200 more than the Credo 4-16x50. They are both SFP and have the same reticle, is it worth spending a little extra to get the Tenmile vs the Credo?

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
I just noticed Scopelist has the Tenmile HX 3-18x50 SFP with the same MIL reticle for $200 more than the Credo 4-16x50. They are both SFP and have the same reticle, is it worth spending a little extra to get the Tenmile vs the Credo?
I guess if you want 18x then yeah I'd do it

I just picked up a trijicon Credo 4-16×50 and got it mounted today.
I did a ton of research on these scopes and really couldn't find much, soo I'm starting a review thread that I'll update as I go along.

I mounted it on my Tikka 7-300 LRI with Talley rings, and spent some time comparing it to my 3-15×44 vx5hd.
Right off the bat I'm very impressed with the glass and easy eye box.
I'm very particular about scopes that are fussy to get behind, my vx5 is decent but still not my favorite.
The credo however is awesome to get behind, I could get full sight picture instantly from a variety of positions on the stock without any tunneling.

I compared the glass on the two scopes on all sorts of backgrounds out to several miles away.
I like the vx5 glass but when going back and forth it was clear that the credo is much brighter and provides more color contrast.
I mean it actually makes the vx5 look kinda grey in comparison.
I took them out again this evening and again the Credo did a lot better in low light.
I glassed long range targets, and as it got to the legal light limit I compared them looking into dark brushy patches on a timber fringe 300 yards away.

Now I've never been a big illumination guy but damn! I couldn't make out any details in the darkening backdrop using the vx5, and the image was getting dark and grainy.
I switched to the credo and it was incredible how much more detail I could pick out.
I turned the illumination on its lowest setting and could easily have gotten myself in trouble if taking a shot at a game animal.
Without a doubt it was beyond legal shooting light.

The Turrets are pretty dang good, very positive tactile clicks. Again they killed the mushy sloppy feeling turrets on the vx5.
So far I'm really impressed, I'll update this thread with a tall target test when I get my load development done.

Here's a few pics mounted up, and next to the vx5
View attachment 382036
View attachment 382037
View attachment 382038
After time has passed, are you still happy with the scope?

I like what trijicon is offering lately, but I selfishly wish they had more options in the 40-42mm objectives, there are a few that seem to check a lot of boxes but I don’t care for big objectives… I probably should try a 50mm bell again, especially on the chassis rifles, but in the past I didn’t like them on traditional hunting rifles, because smaller bells can be mounted lower and are easier to get behind

Your review makes me want to try one even more though, especially the eye box, I am tempted to get one for the 6.5cm I put together for my wife and daughter that currently wears a swfa 3-9x, which is good in that regard, but I would like to have an illuminated reticle for them, and steal the 3-9x for my rat gun that I plan to put in an xlr this coming year

wildcat33

WKR
Just got mine in the mail today. Haven't mounted it up yet, but the quality seems to be there. SFP for 16x is fine with me, so no issue there. Also dig the tool-less reset for zero. Think I might need to grab another one for good measure before they are gone.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Just got mine in the mail today. Haven't mounted it up yet, but the quality seems to be there. SFP for 16x is fine with me, so no issue there. Also dig the tool-less reset for zero. Think I might need to grab another one for good measure before they are gone.
Nice
I used mine to smoke an antelope last month, I love this scope for LR hunting.
signal-2022-09-25-15-33-05-485.jpg

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
They are awesome scopes, and a bit of a secret in the market. I've had the predecessor, Accupower 3-9x40 on my Tikka Ultralight for about 5 or 6 years. I don't abuse my gear, but it's held up very well, has awesome glass and I LOVE the green reticle! It was also one of the lightest illuminated 3-9x40's on the market

How is the green illumination? I’ve never used anything other than red.
I was a skeptic of the green but had read enough good reports to get one with it. I am super happy with it. I think it’s because it’s closer to white than red is so it contrasts better against darker earth colors.