Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Given the street prices and test results, the tenmile seems to be pretty comparable to the shv-f1 minus 4oz. For those that have shot both, what were the notable differences?

The Trijicon is a bit friendlier/easier to get behind with the eyebox and eye relief, has the tool less reset turrets, “better” reticle, and is lighter. The SHV F1 has known reliability and durability.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Off-topic on the Trijicon, but curious - if the choice was between an LRTS 3-12 (no donut, but also fainter "posts"), LRHS 3-12 (bold posts but a donut), which one would you go for for a general hunting option out to 600?

I know you rate the SWFA 3-9 as good for 600 and in, but my aging eyes seem to like the step up in glass and ability to go over 9x at times.

Mmm. Neither? 😉

I really don’t like donuts, but to me the LRHS reticle is more usable. As Hondo stated the LRTSi reticle is thicker and more visible.

Dobermann

WKR
Mmm. Neither? 😉

I really don’t like donuts, but to me the LRHS reticle is more usable. As Hondo stated the LRTSi reticle is thicker and more visible.
Ach, and to think I nabbed some LRTS/LRHS scopes on your recommendation! :) (Ok, technically not a recommendation, but an observation that they worked.)

Sooo ... if the NF reticles aren't currently great for hunting, does that suggest the Tenmile might be our best option in this 'mid-range' (for magnification and weight)?

Or are you just so loved up about the THLR reticle that mag range, size, and weight are (possibly temporarily) not the main concern - and it's just ZP5 all the way?

brn2hnt

WKR
Ach, and to think I nabbed some LRTS/LRHS scopes on your recommendation! :) (Ok, technically not a recommendation, but an observation that they worked.)

Sooo ... if the NF reticles aren't currently great for hunting, does that suggest the Tenmile might be our best option in this 'mid-range' (for magnification and weight)?

Or are you just so loved up about the THLR reticle that mag range, size, and weight are (possibly temporarily) not the main concern - and it's just ZP5 all the way?
Forgive me if I missed an update, but I thought the SWFA 3-15 w/mil-quad was the current mid-range option?

brn2hnt

WKR
That's fair, I'm just trying to keep up with which ones are on the "leader board" so I can replace the scope on my current rifle and I'm having a heck of a time keeping up 😂

SDHNTR

WKR
Form, could you please compare glass in the Tenmile vs NXS glass. Cost is similar, durability seems similar, reticles similar, eyebox sounds similar. Wondering if there’s a clarity, color or brightness edge of one over the other.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, could you please compare glass in the Tenmile vs NXS glass. Cost is similar, durability seems similar, reticles similar, eyebox sounds similar. Wondering if there’s a clarity, color or brightness edge of one over the other.

The NXS has high resolution at the cost of “color pop”. You can see fine details, it’s just doesn’t have an image that pops out at you. The Tenmile is good all around- clarity, contrast, resolution and I think most people would say it is “better” just by how it looks.

brn2hnt

WKR
I'm very interested to see how this does after umpteen thousand rounds but had a thought over the weekend.

Have you ever had a scope pass drop-testing and fail within the 3,000 round timeframe?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm very interested to see how this does after umpteen thousand rounds but had a thought over the weekend.

Have you ever had a scope pass drop-testing and fail within the 3,000 round timeframe?

You’d have to define “pass” and “fail”. If the standard is absolutely no shift, then no- every scope that has stayed on a 1 inch dot at 100 yards through the drop eval has lasted 3,000 rounds. The Meopta failed at something like 3,500’ish rounds of centerfire.

If “passing” is staying centered and nothing coming out of a 1.5’ish inch dot, then yes a couple have failed before 3,000 rounds.

brn2hnt

WKR
And the Trijicon was the latter of those right?

And where I'm ultimately headed with this line of thinking is this:

If I just want to shoot rocks to 1200+ and hunt with the same scope (ie low power usability) am I better off waiting to see what shakes out with this scope or just buy the first mil quad swfa 5-20 I see?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And the Trijicon was the latter of those right?

And where I'm ultimately headed with this line of thinking is this:

If I just want to shoot rocks to 1200+ and hunt with the same scope (ie low power usability) am I better off waiting to see what shakes out with this scope or just buy the first mil quad swfa 5-20 I see?

The Trijicons have not lost zero. Groups sizes opened up approximately .25moa when dropping, but center of the group did not shift.

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for an new riflescope and this one has drawn my attention. The trijicon ten mile hx 3-18 moa. Is the riflescope still performing at a high level? Could anyone comment on their current experiences with this optic?

huntnful

WKR
@Formidilosus any new update with the durability and the trijicon?
I am in the market for an new riflescope and this one has drawn my attention. The trijicon ten mile hx 3-18 moa. Is the riflescope still performing at a high level? Could anyone comment on their current experiences with this optic?

I recently put this optic on a Muzzleloader and it’s an excellent optic in that price point.

Attachments

• 8E90E703-C2A1-4EF3-8194-94428052D16F.jpeg
    8E90E703-C2A1-4EF3-8194-94428052D16F.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 120
How is the reticle on 3x for hunting? I'm concerned that it will be too small for quick target acquisition. Looking at the 3-18x44 in MOA

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider

Take a look for yourself

I have read through that and have seen the posted pictures of the reticle at different zoom ranges against a white wall.
Those pictures don't give good representation of hunting situations.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk