Trimming the Sitka Ascent Cap bill

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first trad season and the brim on the Sitka ascent cap is too large so I wanted to trim it down.

Otherwise, I need to move it to the side and in the heat of the moment there is no way I’ll remember to do that.

has anyone else trimmed the bill on any cap for bow string clearance, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Not sure how you can trim it. It probably has cardboard in the bill to stiffen it and help it keep it's shape. If you cut some off the front of the bill, it will leave the cardboard exposed, and once any moisture gets in there, it will be a mess. Maybe wear the cap with the bill to the back unless you really need it to shade your eyes.

nastynick

FNG
I have actually done this to a Carhartt billed duck-hunting style cap. I cut the bill (it was a plastic sheet inside) then used a heavy gauge needle to run braided fishing line around the bill to prevent fraying. Then add super glue as well to “seem seal”. It wasn’t prettiest thing ever but gave the hat character and it worked.

There’s a “hats for trad” thread on here that goes through the woes of hats and trad. I use a short-brimmed cadet-style hat as a clicker basically. Once I get to anchor and the string touches the brim, I release. It works almost too well, to the point where I can’t shoot very well without it.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Im thinking of pushing the “easy button” on this one and not wearing the cap around sunset and sunrise when I’m more likely to get a shot.

i have a hooded Sitka baselayer and beanie.ill be so close I’ll need the hood over me anyways

thanks!!

ScottinPA

WKR
I did this last year. Used a sharp knife (Havalon) to cut the material along the edge of the brim. Slide the material back and trim the plastic bill. I trimmed the underside material and glued it to the bottom of the bill. Then trim the top material - I left this long to wrap over to the underside and glued that. It looks pretty good and doesn't interfere with the string. It doesn't keep as much sun out either.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I did this last year. Used a sharp knife (Havalon) to cut the material along the edge of the brim. Slide the material back and trim the plastic bill. I trimmed the underside material and glued it to the bottom of the bill. Then trim the top material - I left this long to wrap over to the underside and glued that. It looks pretty good and doesn't interfere with the string. It doesn't keep as much sun out either.
What type of glue did you use ?

ScottinPA

WKR
3d80a12ca212dafdf0a925c68ece8028.jpg

818699609d4b37e7c0bd09392bb96ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done this for the same purpose. Use a seam ripper to remove the seam on the bill. The ridged bill is a plastic material, simply cut to your desired length and fold or cut the excess fabric. Hand sew the seam and you're done. Really easy, if you can make a pb and j you can shorten the bill.
That being said with the anchor point I use any billed hat interferes. I end up spinning my hat around or wearing a toque.

cheers

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider just getting their boonie hat rather than cut your cap up. I tried cutting caps in all different ways and just ended up going with a soft brim.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider just getting their boonie hat rather than cut your cap up. I tried cutting caps in all different ways and just ended up going with a soft brim.
You’re right. I’ve been hesitent to get a boonie for fashion reasons 😂

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
LOL none of us are winning any runway contest in the woods! Just get one and you will learn to love it, keeps the sun off your neck and can get stuffed in any pocket. Im never going back from a boonie.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
LOL none of us are winning any runway contest in the woods! Just get one and you will learn to love it, keeps the sun off your neck and can get stuffed in any pocket. Im never going back from a boonie.
I can’t tell from descriptions, does the Sitka boonie hace side snaps

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Side snaps? No it has a draw cord for your chin that i took off mine and an elastic strap of the back to tighten the fit.