Trimming Trim

@fulldraw

FNG
I've recently converted to grinding my own meat and I am curious how "clean" your trim meat is before running it through the grinder. Although large pieces of fat and pure sinew/silverskin were discarded, I sent a lot of that stuff through the grinder. I operated under the assumption that "trim pile" got its name for a reason. As a result, my grind definitely has some small white sinew-y bits in the mix.

Although I am not overly bothered by it, I am curious if those of you who have been doing this longer have a particular practice? For instance, the ribs on this deer were a light pink they were loaded with so much sinew and fat (did not stop my from grinding most of it)--aside from this clogging up the grinder some, any downside to grinding all that together versus grinding cleaner cuts?

Thanks in advance.

Felix40

WKR
I grind it all up. If its going to take me more than 5 seconds to cut the silver skin out I dont mess with it. Just cube it all and mix it together before you run it through. This has come from a lot of experimenting with how I grind my meat.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I cube it and grind it all. If you spend too much time cleaning trim, you won't want to grind your own anymore.

Keep the meat and grinder as cold as possible and you will not have any clog issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
My trim is fairly clean. Any sizable silver skin comes off before I grind.

Tod osier

WKR
I've recently converted to grinding my own meat and I am curious how "clean" your trim meat is before running it through the grinder. Although large pieces of fat and pure sinew/silverskin were discarded, I sent a lot of that stuff through the grinder. I operated under the assumption that "trim pile" got its name for a reason. As a result, my grind definitely has some small white sinew-y bits in the mix.

Although I am not overly bothered by it, I am curious if those of you who have been doing this longer have a particular practice? For instance, the ribs on this deer were a light pink they were loaded with so much sinew and fat (did not stop my from grinding most of it)--aside from this clogging up the grinder some, any downside to grinding all that together versus grinding cleaner cuts?

Thanks in advance.

Lot of different approaches, so I’ll add mine. I trim nearly all fat, as if on a mission (I am, a mission to remove fat), but don’t worry about silver skin for people. We do people grind and dog grind. The dog grind is by far the smaller pile, it has the fat and silver skin with no meat and gets run through the coarse die. People grind is meat and meat with silver skin and goes through the fine die. The only thing thrown out are lymph nodes and blood clots.

204guy

WKR
Starts out fairly aggressive but by the 4th or 5th animal of the year a little sinew in the burger doesn't look to bad.

You'll have to find your balance. You can take it to the point where your grind pile is less than the garbage pile.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk