Trinity Alps Backcountry Archery

Jstolte

FNG
I am starting to plan my first solo backcountry hunt and from the information I have gathered so far it looks like the Trinity Alps may be a good bet for me.

Any intel on the area, or specific spots to be looking at would be greatly appreciated. I am in great shape, have experience in the backcountry, and enjoy the challenge of difficult terrain. However, I will be hunting solo so this may be a factor selecting a spot.

I'm not dead set on the Alps so would be open to other suggestions, my main goal is to see as few people and as many deer as possible.

Thanks in advance!

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
Welcome to the forum. OnX, Google Earth, is where I'd start.

Rob5589, thanks for the welcome. Scouting onX and google earth is exactly what I’ve been doing. It’s a ton of terrain and I’m curious where the less travelled areas are, away from the recreational hikers and backpackers.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Realize though if you shoot a bear in the wilderness solo, your trip is done. They don’t last more than a a couple days unless we get unseasonably cool weather or you are by a cold stream.

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
Absolutely,
Realize though if you shoot a bear in the wilderness solo, your trip is done. They don’t last more than a a couple days unless we get unseasonably cool weather or you are by a cold stream.
Absolutely! I am excited to get out into the backcountry, learn, and hopefully bring some meat home with me. A buck would be awesome but I would be happy with a bear, too.

JNDEER

WKR
RB gives great info and although I have not hunted that specific WA I will say that many blacktails are where you find them- keep that in mind and if possible do a scouting trip about two weeks before the opener.

I’ve definitely seen more bears than bucks in the Alps. I usually hike in about 7 miles. Only taken one small buck in three trips. Rifle season. I would stay away from any lakes. I’ve never even tried hiking the “popular” trails. Just chose random small trails with no big picturesque lakes and got off the trail about 3-5 miles in. Saw one other pair of hunters on two of the trips and saw no one in 6 days on the last trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
RB gives great info and although I have not hunted that specific WA I will say that many blacktails are where you find them- keep that in mind and if possible do a scouting trip about two weeks before the opener.
Thank you. Definitely planning some scouting trips throughout the summer.

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
I’ve definitely seen more bears than bucks in the Alps. I usually hike in about 7 miles. Only taken one small buck in three trips. Rifle season. I would stay away from any lakes. I’ve never even tried hiking the “popular” trails. Just chose random small trails with no big picturesque lakes and got off the trail about 3-5 miles in. Saw one other pair of hunters on two of the trips and saw no one in 6 days on the last trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solid advice, thank you.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I start scouting the last week of May if the roads are open. The bucks are for the most part at the tops already or very close to it.

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
I start scouting the last week of May if the roads are open. The bucks are for the most part at the tops already or very close to it.
Copy that, thanks for the tip. I plan on getting up there around the same time, late May/early June.