Tripod adapters

lif

WKR
Scored some razor 12x50s and a promaster xc525c tripod. Now I need to get a good quick adapter from binos to tripod head. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

twall13

WKR
Outdoorsman's, field optics research, and KDC are the only three I would consider. I think the build quality and usability of the field optics research is a step below the other two but it's a great value when you compare the price difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tag_Soup

WKR
Outdoorsman is the most solid I have used, field optics research is the most convenient and lightest...I'll be picking up a field optics for my new razors next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoJo

WKR
I had a Field Optics Research, it was a bit wobbly up-and-down. Just got an Outdoorsman's and it is solid. A buddy has a Swaro and it seems very solid too, but a good bit more expensive.

WKR
I have the kdc and I like it. Very small and light. The cam system does not squeeze all the way past the hump which feels less secure, but I have never had anything come loose. Have attached 8x Maven up to 12 and 15x Euro/Meopta and it works well for all sizes.

muddydogs

WKR
The outdoorsman adapter might be the ticket.
I have a vortex adapter and its a pain to screw into my 12x50 vortex binos as theirs no room to get your finders between the objectives to turn the screw. I ended up building a small platform with a strap that I can just slide my binos into when using them on a tripod.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Not looking for neccesarily cheap options. Just good quality. And preferably something that isn't to intrusive while I'm carrying binos on my neck. I know the Swarovski adapter is killer for that purpose. Anyone tell me what hardware is left on the binos when using a outdoorsman

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not looking for neccesarily cheap options. Just good quality. And preferably something that isn't to intrusive while I'm carrying binos on my neck. I know the Swarovski adapter is killer for that purpose. Anyone tell me what hardware is left on the binos when using a outdoorsman

Both the outdoorsman and field reseach have stud sticking out is all so not intrusive on most optics. The outdoorsman is like a 1/4" diameter, its firmly installed with a set screw and sleek, however when you put it in the adaptor your need to tighten the adaptor down to lock in the side/side rotation. The field research is more like a 1/2" dia stud with a slot in it that gets set on top of the blade of the adapter. Its installed with a compressed oring to provide resistance to unthreading, this also provides resistance to rotating side to side which is more quickly adjusted but also can't be locked in place.

So outdoorsman costs more, is sleeker, takes a tad more time to lock into place but is then firm.

Field research is cheaper, quick on/off, not as rigid of a final installation if that is needed.

twall13

WKR
Here is a crappy Youtube video I did when someone else was asking a similar question and the discussion got into the stability of the Outdoorsman. I bought both the Outdoorsman and Field Optics Research and compared them side by side. I ended up keeping the Outdoorsman mostly because I felt like it was easier to use with cold hands. The Field Optics Research mount was harder to squeeze with finger tips to release it. Not that it was difficult to release, just that it wasn't as easy as I wanted. [video=youtube;NyG5qxx1EEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyG5qxx1EEU&t=1s[/video]

twall13

WKR
And here are some side by side photos of the Outdoorsman Tall adapter vs. the field optics research.
20160608_215757
20160608_215749

I apologize for the crappy photo quality as it was dark and I was using my cell phone. Hopefully it gives you an idea of what they are. You can get a shorter Outdoorsman adapter as well but I opted for the tall.

OP
L

lif

WKR
That's great help twall13. Any chance you could post pic of binos with stud on seperate from adapter