Tripod Advice

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks, so I'm new to the spotting scope thing. There is a Cronus 12-36X50 in the mail from a member here. I have a low budget tripod that came in a package deal that I infrequently use with my dslr. I'm looking for advice for a sturdy tripod for the little spotter, something that won't break the bank. It'll be used for hunting, birding, and showing the offspring the moon and stars. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

grfox92

WKR
You mentioned not breaking the bank so this is along those lines. There are certainly better options out there so take it for what it's worth.

I use a tripod from Amazon called the Ranger.

It was $69 when I bought it. All aluminum, not too heavy, comes with a ball head that performs great for my 10x42 Mavens.

I know it might not be best for a heavy spotter, but there are tons of tripods like the Ranger on Amazon that IMO are just as good as higher end ones for a fraction of the money.

This is basically the same tripod under a different name and it's rated to 17 lbs. Might be worth a look.
129010b6339f3ad1c21341a92d9bc1ac.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Acidbraker

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I read someplace that a ball head was not good for a spotter. I'd like to keep my budget around or less than $150 or so. The spotter is only 27oz, but the sturdier the better.

I would recommend slik sprint pro 2. It’s not the sturdiest for spotting but you can hang some weight off it to make it better

Oohmatron

FNG
Buy a tripod to match the quality of the scope. There is no point losing acuity from a wobbly, unstable, flimsy support. Ask any serious photographer - their advice would be the same. So many people buy three or four tripods of increasing quality before they recognise this - and end up spending more than just buying the good one first. Gitzo, RRS, ProMediaGear are excellent tripods.

You bought a fantastic spotter. You want a fluid head with any tripod you get. Ball heads are great for binoculars but when you have a spotter fluid heads with a handle are preferred.
The Sirui T004SKVA5 is awesome. It comes with the most popular fluid head, and IMO the best fluid head in its price range, the VA5. The head alone retails for $164.90.
HOWEVER, thru the end of September we are giving forum members 15% off. The tripod WITH the VA5 head retails for $189.90 less 15% is $161.42 and then Sirui rebates you back $15.00
They just arrived again yesterday.
Huge Sirui delivery yesterday and more coming in Monday!!!

You can order on our website, www.cameralandny.com with promo code TS21 or call us today at 516-217-1000 and mention Rokslide.
Under $150 (After rebate) there is NO BETTER tripod kit on the market with a head like the VA5.

Happy to answer any questions

Joel

longjoshr

FNG
Joel, FYI, it says that model is "Temporarily out of stock, due in end of June". I'll assume that is a dated remark and it is in stock?

joelzilla

FNG
I have a Peak Design carbon tripod. It's a bit pricey for what it is but it's so compact and lightweight. I actually used my REI dividends and coupon to get it.

I have a Peak Design carbon tripod. It's a bit pricey for what it is but it's so compact and lightweight. I actually used my REI dividends and coupon to get it.
We always discount Peak Design tripods 1`5 Percent for members here. Just give me a call
Joel
516-217-1000

BirdPoop

FNG
I think for viewing, you can get by with a less sturdy tripod since some people view and digiscope with monopods. For digiscoping in low light conditions, more sturdier is better. Some people even go with a mirrorless camera and a remote shutter release to prevent vibrations (totally depends on exposure time). You can pick and choose depending on the conditions instead of carrying around a do it all behemoth. I think some monopods convert into a tripod and vice versa to facilitate navigation around crowded areas.