Tripod Feature/Properties Suggestions

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I want to use a tripod for use with a 65mm spotter, a set of binos and a rifle. I don't mountain hunt a ton, so I can't justify dropping a ton of money on this. Also it will get used just as frequently at the gun range. Lastly when I do hunt, I tend to go pretty ultralight.

So I currently have a Vortex SS-P, the panhead obviously isn't great but more annoying is the lack of stability which seems to really limit the use of the spotter.

I'm looking to upgrade a little and am looking for suggestions. What contribute to stiffness of the tripod? Is it strictly weight or are there lighter tripods that are still stiff?

Can I get a good panhead and use a cheap tripod that is pretty heavy for the time being or are cheap tripods not going to be very stiff even if they're heavy?

Is something like the Sirui T-024SK VA-5 Fluid Head a significant upgrade from the Vortex SS-P or will that not really improve the stability?

Thanks for any feedback, sorry for any rambling nature here.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I personally think tripod leg "stiffness" comes directly from how many leg segments there are, the angle of the legs, leg thickness, and how good the twist locks are. I currently have a Promaster XC-M 525C, and it's a great little tripod, but fully extended it's pretty garbage IMO. I sold a a Slik CF834 to get the Promaster, and i regret the decision. The Promaster is just as stable as the Slik up to about 45 inches. Once the promaster gets up to standing height, it's very unstable due to the last leg section (5th segment) being pencil thin, and the angle of the legs. The legs are very narrow and once you put a 65mm spotter on the promaster, it gets a little sketchy. If you want a tripod for mostly standing, don't get anything under 3 pounds. If you're mostly going to be sitting, then the options are endless. I don't think you can go wrong with Slik or Sirui. The Slik twist locks are nice and fat and you feel like there is alot of real estate on the twist locks when you have gloves on. Sorry for being long winded.

You should look for a tripod that gets to the height you need with legs alone. Optics/cameras are more stable the closer they are to the apex of the tripod. Center columns add instability. Large diameter tubes are more rigid thus more stable. Always use the large outer tubes of the legs first and then the inner tube last if it is needed to achieve the height you need for the situation at hand.

My tripod is a Really Right Stuff TVC-34L MK2 with BH-55LR. It does not have a center column. I am 6'7" and I can glass standing with it. Expensive but worth every penny I spent.

IMO there is no better compact tripod for the money then the Sirui T024SKVA5. That is echoed all over this forum. The VA5 is 2nd to none in it's price range as well. The Carbon fiber legs absorb a lot of vibration and are very stiff. Thru the end of July members here save 15% on all Sirui tripods and heads. You also get a mail in rebate from Sirui.
You can order on line using TS21 in the code area or call us at 516-217-1000. This promo also includes Promaster tripods and the Promaster SPCH20 fluid head

Feel free to call us with any questions

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
This Sirui is a great setup for sitting. I am very happy with it, and don’t think I will need a tripod for a long time.

The max height makes it not work for standing, but as everyone says, sitting is best for stability.

Last edited:

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
What did you end up getting??
I'm in the same situation, currently running a Vortex ss-p setup. I wanted to upgrade to something a bit more smooth and solid, especially when using the 65mm spotter. Just ordered a combo Sirui T-004SK with VA-5 head from Cameraland last week. Can't wait to see what all the hype is about!