Tripod for 85mm Optics?

longjoshr

FNG
Just purchased the Gen 1 Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotter, and realized that my Vanguard CF tripod isn't quite up to the task like it is for my 65mm spotter.

Any suggestions on a reasonable midrange tripod for larger spotters? A Really Right Stuff or Outdoorsman's is in my future, but not ready to head to that pricepoint this fall. Under $300 would be excellent, but interested in hearing options that are sub-$500 as well.

This will be something I'll backpack with, but I'm not afraid to sacrifice some weight for stability.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Slick 634 or 624 with a Suriu VA-5 is all you'll really ever need.

Didn't you get a Vortex Pro GT tripod with it? Those are decent, a little heavy but stable.

If you want to go expensive, Gitzo or an Outdoorsman.

I have a Slick 634 and a Suriu VA-5 for my Sawro ATX 85mm, like it a lot.

Go with as thick of legs and as few of sections as possible of good quality carbon fiber, as you can afford. You won’t regret spending more than $300.

rhsmith3

FNG
I have been very impressed with Slik, also keep in mind you preferred application. A 773 might fit your needs better then smaller models. Especially if you are running a straight spotting scope.

My Manfrotto 290 XTRA CF has been bullet proof and there are no issues with my STX 95. Biggest downside is it’s still pretty long when collapsed.

WKR
I have used a slik 634 for my Lieca 82mm but I prefer the slik 833 for the heavier optics. I would get a Slik 833 with a Sirui VA 5 head and be done with it.

Firehawk

WKR
I ran into a similar problem earlier this year when I upgraded my spotter. I ended up with a SLIK 733 from Cameraland and it does the job really well.

two vets sporting is what I have been using for two years now. odt model I can spot and shoot off of this

wyosteve

WKR
I use a Silk 834 for my 95mm. Check with Cameraland. I got mine on sale for a good price.

OP
longjoshr

longjoshr

FNG
Happy to help. Give me a call at 516-217-1000 to discuss the various options

Joel
Just wanted to follow up and say that I was able to talk with Joel, and he was incredibly helpful.

I ended up with the Sirui VA-5 and Slik 734 tripod, and couldn't be happier. I think it's the perfect blend of weight and sturdiness, and the VA-5 head is awesome. With the deals they have going on right, now, this was a great deal as well!

Thanks again Joel and Camera Land!