Tripod for a Kowa 553

I have been looking at tripods for my Kowa 553. The Slik 633 and 733 are two that I am thinking about in particular. I am not sure whether the Slik 633 will shake in the wind when fully extended with the Kowa 553 on it. I have read about this issue happening when using heavier spotters, which is why I am wondering if this still happens to a lesser degree when using a smaller spotter.

One of my purposes in buying the 553 was to go as light as I possible could. So for my true backpacking hunts I pair my 553 with this tripod…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PK9Q627?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I paired it with this

Between the two I have a very light weight setup. Is it as stable as other big spotters and tripods? No. But it is a very nice light weight setup. Quite a few other guys on the forum use this setup as well as seem to like it.

tdhanses

WKR
I used a very light sub 1lb tripod (aoka above) and it worked fine but at certain angles I just didn’t have enough adjustment and the legs did’t spread far creating issues for getting behind it, I have a slik 624 I’ve gone back to that I use for everything from my binos, 553 amd 773, it works perfect. Wind is more of an issue with the 773 then the 553.

I do use an RRS ball head for my binos and 553 and an outdoorsman for the 773.

As for the tripod i’ll take a 1lb penalty for more stability, adjustments and height.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
One of my purposes in buying the 553 was to go as light as I possible could. So for my true backpacking hunts I pair my 553 with this tripod…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PK9Q627?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I paired it with this

Between the two I have a very light weight setup. Is it as stable as other big spotters and tripods? No. But it is a very nice light weight setup. Quite a few other guys on the forum use this setup as well as seem to like it.
Why did you add the extension tube to the aoka, it comes with one but with it installed it’s shaky.

Why did you add the extension tube to the aoka, it comes with one but with it installed it’s shaky.
The one that comes with it is pretty long and quite flimsy in my opinion. The other one is shorter and sturdier. Without the few extra inches the tripod wasn’t tall enough for me when sitting but it was too much with the supplied extension. So this other one was just right for me, Mr. Goldielocks.

tdhanses

WKR
The one that comes with it is pretty long and quite flimsy in my opinion. The other one is shorter and sturdier. Without the few extra inches the tripod wasn’t tall enough for me when sitting but it was too much with the supplied extension. So this other one was just right for me, Mr. Goldielocks.
I might have to give that extension a try.

Give me a call to discuss. There are a lot of great options. I am at 516-217-1000. Take a look at the Sirui ST-124 with the VA5 head

Not significant. Both are very stable tripods. Right now members here get 15% off on Slik as well. Use code TS22