Tripod for Big Eyes

Outwest

WKR
I recently built up a set of Kowa twin spotters. The setup came in just under 6.5lbs. My Slik 634 is a bit under-gunned for the weight in anything but the calmest conditions and at a very low height. I have an older set of aluminum legs but ideally I would like a 3-section set of carbon legs stiff enough for the weight and could be used at a standing height in a pinch. Weight isn't a huge issue but lighter is nicer.

I'm considering the Manfrotto 290 Xtra carbon legs or the Slik 833.

Any opinions on these or any other options I should look into?

Thanks

I don't have any Big Eyes but I recently bought the Sirui ST-124 carbon tripod to use with my Meopta S2 spotter. I was using a Slik 634 which I like but with the S2 it could vibrate a little at full height in the wind. The ST-124 is rock solid with the S2 spotter even in the wind. The St-124 weighs 0.6 lb more that the Slik 634 (2.6 lb. vs 2.0 lb) but the load capacity on the ST-124 is 26.5 lb vs 6.6 lb for the Slik. So for four times the load capability and only a 0.6 lb weight penalty, it was worth it to me.

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
I don't have any Big Eyes but I recently bought the Sirui ST-124 carbon tripod to use with my Meopta S2 spotter. I was using a Slik 634 which I like but with the S2 it could vibrate a little at full height in the wind. The ST-124 is rock solid with the S2 spotter even in the wind. The St-124 weighs 0.6 lb more that the Slik 634 (2.6 lb. vs 2.0 lb) but the load capacity on the ST-124 is 26.5 lb vs 6.6 lb for the Slik. So for four times the load capability and only a 0.6 lb weight penalty, it was worth it to me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
I would be looking at tripods that guys are using for shooting. You'll be well served jumping up to a 4-5 pound tripod to help stabilize that much glass. Leofoto and Two Vets Sporting Goods have some "affordable" options or you could really step up your game and look at offerings from RRS.

Take a look at Field Optic Research. I have a SLIK tripod and also this one from FOR:

http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/...d-System-NEW-Ultra-Light-Weight-x49408691.htm

The Field Optic Research is less than 3lbs and has a capacity of 35lbs. It’s rock solid and I shoot off of it shooting hogs with thermal optics just about every week. Also use it for a 95mm spotting scope and I’ve packed it in more times than I can count. The legs also screw off and I’ve used them for shelter poles, shooting sticks, trekking poles, etc…. It’s a really slick setup. PM me with any questions or photo requests. Good luck!

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
I have a gitzo carbon fiber tripod that is a beast. Even in super windy conditions it's a solid as a rock. Gitzo's are not cheap though. Only downside.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ericl33

Lil-Rokslider
I use a slik 700dx from the truck or short distances for my twin 664's and a promaster xc525c if I'm hiking a long ways.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jon01

FNG
Which gitzo are you running?
I have a gitzo carbon fiber tripod that is a beast. Even in super windy conditions it's a solid as a rock. Gitzo's are not cheap though. Only downside.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk