Tripod for Binocs

ChanMan

FNG
Going on my first mule deer hunt out west. Will be in AZ for the OTC archery hunt. I am from Arkansas and have a pair of vortex diamondbacks I am going to use. I haven’t purchased a tripod yet. Was wondering if there was any affordable options that you guys had. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on my first mule deer hunt out west. Will be in AZ for the OTC archery hunt. I am from Arkansas and have a pair of vortex diamondbacks I am going to use. I haven’t purchased a tripod yet. Was wondering if there was any affordable options that you guys had. Thanks in advance!

Gohunt sells the SlikPro best tripod out for glassing. Pair it w a good panhead like the ones from Outdoorsmans and you can’t go wrong

Jbehredt

WKR
Th vortex summits come up on here regularly. A good cheap option to try your hand a glassing. Will hold your diamondback plenty steady to sit behind.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for affordable, definitely look at the Sirui TS 005- aluminum, but still light and very sturdy- you can lose the lowest set of legs to save even a little more weight; comes with a very nice ballhead mount

OP
C

ChanMan

FNG
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

manitou1

WKR
I went with a Promaster 525 C this season and like it. It is a bit bigger so I can use it to get over the top of vegetation if needed, but it came highly recommended and Cameraland gives a good price on them.

Reactions: lif

lif

WKR
I also have the promaster and love it. But it’s generally $250+ purchase. Best bang for the buck is to look in the classifieds on here for a tripod in your price range. As previously stated, those vortex are pretty common on the lower end purchases.

I picked up a Vanguard Alta Pro 254 CT on ebay for $75 with an SBH 50 head and Bino Adapter. I think its rated for 18lbs. I used it with a set of Vortex Diamond back 10x42's and a 20x60x80 viper spotting scope. Worked great with the binos, the head is nothing special and was a little light for the spotting scope, but it was functional. I think this was a fluke but if you've got time and aren't hung up on one brand I think its an area you can snag a deal on Ebay.

I personally used a ProMaster tripod this past week in Idaho. Almost no shake at all with 25+ mph wind gusts with my binoculars attached to it. I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase.

horse43

FNG
Promaster for me too, XCM525C. Got it from @S&S Archery (Rob) on clearance and was also able to stack their discount they give to rokslide members here, which made it very affordable!

Find that balance between affordable and useful so you don't buy a $150 tripod, then later buy a $250 tripod.

I've done that so many times in my youthful days, I've learned my lesson and recommend/remind that to everyone I talk to now about gear.

holzgene

FNG
Promaster for me too, XCM525C. Got it from @S&S Archery (Rob) on clearance and was also able to stack their discount they give to rokslide members here, which made it very affordable!

Find that balance between affordable and useful so you don't buy a $150 tripod, then later buy a $250 tripod.

I've done that so many times in my youthful days, I've learned my lesson and recommend/remind that to everyone I talk to now about gear.
What was the final price you got on this?

HuntnID

FNG
I use a Promaster as well. I went with the XC325. It's a bit longer when folded up but extends about 10" higher which is nice for glassing while standing.

I’d buy a used, beat up, mid quality tripod.... (manfrotto’s are all over) before I wasted money on a vortex tripod. Ask me how I know.... collapsing legs, shitty components... I think the two vortex tripods were the shiftiest pieces of hunting equipment I have ever bought.

mcseal2

WKR
My set up isn't cheap, but I have a Promaster 525 for most hunting and a Slikk 634 for when I need full standing height. If I was to only own one I'd probably have to go with the tall one although I like the removable leg feature on the Promaster very much. I've been hunting places where I have to glass standing more and the 634 lets me do that without leaning over with the 15's or spotter.

For a head I really like my Outdoorsmans pan head. I have adapters for a window mount and both tripods for that one head. I also have their shooting rest and use it for my rifle. It is a fairly light and very versatile set-up.

GoBig

FNG
SLIK carbon fiber with an outdoorsman pan head. Broke my tripod during deer season and had to use an old vortex to finish... painful. felt like I lost an arm.

manitou1

WKR
Cameraland gives a good discount to us also. I run the Promaster XC 525 and it serves me well.