Tripod for Kowa 664 straight?

ELKMO

FNG
Midwesterner with little spotter experience, always been using 15x50's. Need to get a tripod and head for a Kowa 664 straight weight is 36oz.

* Want to use it standing mostly. I am 6'.

* Fast access/setup to check size while covering ground on foot.

* Hunt in P/J with taller sage.

* Day hunts only.

* Using MR pop up 38.

* Weight not a primary concern.

* Very dusty conditions, so will twist or snap legs be better over time.

* Under $350 for both

Appreciate any suggestions...thanks

The best bet would be thew new Fotopro X-Go max tripod with the Promaster SPCH20 fluid head

Right now the Tripod with the supplied ball head would be $229.99 and the Promaster head would be $71.99. Call us to get that pricing or if you have any questions

Here are the links.
Tripod

The Promaster SPCH20 head

Look forward to hearing from you

Joel
516-217-1000

I have a 662 and use a Promaster 525cf and spch20 head. Works great sitting, not sure if it will go tall enough to stand and use it though.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I’d give Joel at cameralandny a call. What I use would work but will not check all your boxes and isn’t what you are looking for.

OP
E

ELKMO

FNG
Joel..appreciate it.

Other than weight, what's the advantages of carbon over aluminum?

tdot

WKR
I have a Kowa 663 and I'm 6', I have not been able to effectively use any of the lighter tripods, while standing. Especially with the center post extended. With the 664 you would probably need to have roughly 6" additional height, over my needs with a 663.

I would suggest looking at tripods that are a little heavier then the ultralight tripods that so many of us recommend on here. Also try to find something that will give you your height that you want with the center column only partially extended, not maxed out (it will be more stable). Slik 733 comes to mind, though not sure of its final height.

On the Promaster 525 I demoed I didnt like the double center column. Too much of its height was depending on extending that too far.

I'd suggest looking at leg diameter, larger diameter is generally stiffer. Stay away from tripods that gain the height you need by extending a thin little final leg, a rough suggestion would be a minimum size of 16mm.

Carbon will naturally attenuate small vibrations better then aluminum. Stiffer for a given weight. Animals will expose themselves to a Hunter with a carbon 60% more often then an aluminum tripod.

OP
E

ELKMO

FNG
great insight tdot!!...appreciate it....college must be too far in the rear view mirror, had to googelize attenuate!

OP
E

ELKMO

FNG
I came across leg extensions, they could be used in place of extending the lower, thinner legs producing more stability. Correct?

With what Tdot said, and he makes many valid points, look at the Fotopro I mentioned earlier. It's great with spotters