Tripod for Rifle

I was thinking about drilling n tapping my picatinny rail with a 1/4”x20 and then mounting a tripod adaptor plate on the rifle (tikka t3 300 win) so that I can use my summit gt tripod with my rifle and no longer need to carry a bipod. I figure this reduces weight and adds massive stability to the rifle for shooting. Has anyone done this before or tried this idea? Thanks and good luck hunting every one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Why not just make a Y yoke for the tripod to rest the rifle in that way the rifle isn't hooked to the tripod. It would be simple to adapt A yoke to a tripod plate. Here is the light weight on for a trigger stick. Primos Gen 3 Clam Trigger Stick V-Yoke by Primos at Fleet Farm

I mounted the trigger stick yoke on a plate so I can hook it into my pistol grip pan head that I run on top of the trigger sticks for glassing.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Field optics research makes a gunrest for a tripod for 9.99. I have one on the way I’ll post how I like it in September after a trip to the range.
9920bc60ee9b763d4efbb93c49c6e035.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans pan head and really like their shooting rest. It is steadier for me than a single Y rest with only one point of contact between the rifle and rest. The cradle system lets me lock in steadier and is almost as quick to set up. I can't see a scenario where I have time to set up the tripod I wouldn't have time to use this also. Less time to shoot and I'm using my pack or improvising. I'm taking this set-up to Alaska for moose next month where I might have to shoot standing at a distance. I'd much rather call one right in, but I've talked to some hunters who had bulls locked up with cows across a meadow and ended up shooting 300yds. I did a review on the rest on Outdorsmans site where I explain it a little further.

Outdoorsmans Rifle Rest

I was thinking about drilling n tapping my picatinny rail with a 1/4”x20 and then mounting a tripod adaptor plate on the rifle (tikka t3 300 win) so that I can use my summit gt tripod with my rifle and no longer need to carry a bipod. I figure this reduces weight and adds massive stability to the rifle for shooting. Has anyone done this before or tried this idea? Thanks and good luck hunting every one!!

Do you have picatanny mounted to to the rifle already? If so, its pretty easy and cheap to make a picatanny to arca adapter to attach to the tripod. I have 2 small sections of pic rail mounted to the rifle. One at the front where the bipod goes and another right in front of the magwell. My pods are on a pic quick connect that can be used in either location and then I have the pic/arca adapter to use to attach to the tripod when situations require one. This setup is significantly more stable than the yolk style pictured above and more stable than a pig saddle as well. Pods with a rear bag of some sort are probably the most stable of them all but a lot of hunting situations this is not tall enough.

ROJO23

FNG
really right stuff has a bunch of mounts for tripods. their stuff is not cheap, but could be what you are looking for

SC-LR

OP
T
d7bb2d0ba68aa77324e4e5b958643cff.jpg
3f96594db47b1a8681fe7474154f8377.jpg

Well I did it last night! Used a 13/64 drill bit drilled a hole in the picatinny then used my 1/4”-20 tap threaded the hole and bam! My tripod now attaches directly onto my rifle. Thanks for all the ideas. I had to go dirt cheap on this one spent to much on gear this year all ready.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Field optics research makes a gunrest for a tripod for 9.99. I have one on the way I’ll post how I like it in September after a trip to the range.

Wasn’t too impressed with this thing it was a little tight to the forearm and a bit slick. Better than nothing if my pack is too low but not great. I suppose that’s what 9.99 buys. I do like the tripod, head, and adapter I got from the same company though.

Well I did it last night! Used a 13/64 drill bit drilled a hole in the picatinny then used my 1/4”-20 tap threaded the hole and bam! My tripod now attaches directly onto my rifle. Thanks for all the ideas. I had to go dirt cheap on this one spent to much on gear this year all ready.

Good job using some ingenuity and not being afraid to make something work.
If I may add some advice. If you can put your attachment point closer to your mag area it will be much more stable if you had to really solely on the tripod.
In the current configuration of you could put your pack in the back end it would be rock solid.

A direct attachment works great and I dont think you'll be disappointed. I use an RRS and frequently take shots at 300+ with a 20lb rifle(NV hunting a feeder) standing with only the support of the tripod.

rd8

FNG
I own a kimber hunter and have been wanting to do this, but am having trouble finding the right spot for it. Right now I am looking at mounting my rail to my mag and attaching it to my tripod there. Any input on this idea? Thanks!

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans pan head and really like their shooting rest. It is steadier for me than a single Y rest with only one point of contact between the rifle and rest. The cradle system lets me lock in steadier and is almost as quick to set up. I can't see a scenario where I have time to set up the tripod I wouldn't have time to use this also. Less time to shoot and I'm using my pack or improvising. I'm taking this set-up to Alaska for moose next month where I might have to shoot standing at a distance. I'd much rather call one right in, but I've talked to some hunters who had bulls locked up with cows across a meadow and ended up shooting 300yds. I did a review on the rest on Outdorsmans site where I explain it a little further.

Outdoorsmans Rifle Rest

Used this set-up for my moose at 300 yards kneeling and my whitetail at 370 yards sitting this year. It continues to impress me with it's stability for it's size/weight.

The set-up pictured above looks really slick too if you have the right gun to put the attachments on.

I bought a cheap $12 Arca rail from Amazon for my .22 Trainer rifle. Drilled it right into the for end of the CZ-455. Then I can mount it directly in the RRS leveling head and get +/- about 35-degrees of travel. I use this for PRS shooting and I love it.

brushape

WKR

I have the same tripod and I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while, how does that tripod hold up to recoil? I can’t imagine the legs holding position very well if extended to sitting height

Rbonsen

FNG
I own a kimber hunter and have been wanting to do this, but am having trouble finding the right spot for it. Right now I am looking at mounting my rail to my mag and attaching it to my tripod there. Any input on this idea? Thanks!

Not sure about the Kimber but too much upward pressure on the mag may bind the bolt by pushing the feed lips up into the action area, keeping you from being able to cycle the action. Something to check before you put too much work in.

OXN939

WKR

How did you like this? This uses the same threads that most cameras have on their bases, correct?