Tripod for the Backcountry

Bails-UK

FNG
Hey Roksliders,
I'm looking at buying a Tripod for glassing with my 8x and 15x Vortex Vipers, I'll be carrying them into the backcountry for 3-4 day hunt stints(Colorado), so needs to be sturdy, limited vibration, lightweight, height is not essential as I will be glassing either sat down on a rock or on the ground. My budget is $250 or £200, yep I'm from the UK, so I'll be taxed , unless I can find the equivalent Tripod in the UK. It would be better if there was a ball-head fitted, as my budget wont allow to buy separate or upgrade. Which would be best Alloy or Carbon. what's everybody else using, Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Dave, I’m no expert by any means. The tripod I’ve been using for my mini glassing is the Sirui T-005x. It’s around $130, weighs 2# and has a pretty smooth ball head with a panning feature. They make it in a carbon mode to save a few ounces but it’s closer to $200. Having had both....I stuck with the aluminum version for the price. I stripped all unnecessary parts off of it and it weighs about 1.5# and works perfect for my 10x42’s or spotter up to 65mm. Yes, there’s a lot “better” tripods out there but pound for pound it’s gonna be hard to beat. Good luck with your search. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Viper 15x50's as well and I use the Vortex High Country Tripod. I paid about $75 for it I think. Its not the greatest tripod but its fairly lightweight and relatively inexpensive. You will have to get a tripod adapter if you don't have one already.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also use a stripped down Sirui t-005x, I pulled the lowest legs and the center piece- the ballhead is solid and easy to use, tripod is very steady and stripped is below the 2# mark

tripodweight_zpsklwlfkju.jpg

OP
B

Bails-UK

FNG
Thanks Guys, I was looking at the Slik 624cf, but by the time I add the shipping and tax, I'll be looking at around $400 and that's just too much. I'll take a look at the Sirui T-005x, as it popped up twice 👍

Thanks again.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Slik 340EZ Sportsmans Exclusive, which is the same as the regular EZ, except it uses Arca Swiss plates instead of Sliks quick head and has an FDE paint job. I got it on sale at sportsmans for $120 and love it so far. I run it with Vortex 15s and 10s

OP
B

Bails-UK

FNG
Went with the Promaster XC-M 525c from S & S Archery, I'll upgrade the head at a later date, but for now it will do. Gotta say I'm really impressed with how light and easy it is to set up, cannot wait to get it used out on the mountains .

Attachments

• Promaster XC-M 525c.jpg
    Promaster XC-M 525c.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 31