Tripod head options

Firehawk

WKR
I need some help. I have a Kowa 774 and a SLIK 733 tripod with a Promaster SPCH20 fluid head. I am trying to utilize my digiscoping tools better than I have before and I am finding myself really struggling. If I "lock down" the head in one position, the weight of the spotter makes it move a little bit. I have to put my "target" at the very top of the image, if not out of the image, so that when I let go, it settles into the image. Seems that there has to be a better way. What would you all recommend?

I am a fan of ball heads, but this spotter is big for any of the ball heads I have used, and I like the ability to pan, assuming the animal or whatever moves on a "level" line.

Thank you!
FH

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
For a more budget option, the Slik SVH-501 head is great. Super smooth and lightweight, and has no issue with larger 85mm spotting scopes.

For a step up, I would suggest looking at the Sirui VA5 fluid head. It's bulkier and heavier than the slik, but I would argue it's also more robust (even though I've never had an issue with my Slik head).

tdhanses

WKR
I have an outdoorsmans pistol grip head, pretty much a ball head and a 773, this isn’t an issue for me. Add a panner and your set.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need some help. I have a Kowa 774 and a SLIK 733 tripod with a Promaster SPCH20 fluid head. I am trying to utilize my digiscoping tools better than I have before and I am finding myself really struggling. If I "lock down" the head in one position, the weight of the spotter makes it move a little bit. I have to put my "target" at the very top of the image, if not out of the image, so that when I let go, it settles into the image. Seems that there has to be a better way. What would you all recommend?

I am a fan of ball heads, but this spotter is big for any of the ball heads I have used, and I like the ability to pan, assuming the animal or whatever moves on a "level" line.

Thank you!
FH
IF you want to spend a little extra money, go with a two vets or RRS ball head. They are great for spotting and allow you to scan along with strong enough to support a spotter even if the weight is not centered. We run/shoot 20-25 lb rifles on them and they lock up tight!

Superdoo

WKR
Sounds like the optic is considerably out of balance on the head. Have you tried to use a longer arca plate so the optic will balance better?

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Sounds like the optic is considerably out of balance on the head. Have you tried to use a longer arca plate so the optic will balance better?
That thought crossed my mind too. I am going to play with that a little bit. The plate I have is quite long, so I have room to moved it accordingly.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Call me at 516-217-1000 to discuss. I'm sure I can help you out
Thank you Joel! I am going to play with the balance as suggested by Superdoo and see what happens. If I still have a problem, I will give you a shout.

Also, my buddy loaned me his Sirui VA5 to try as well. I will let you know what I find.

FH

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Okay, I have been playing around in my backyard looking up at the Wasatch Front for the last 30 minutes or so. I am pretty certain that the balancing of the plate was the main culprit. Also, no matter how careful I am, my iPhone camera will pick up movement at 2-3 miles, when I am at full 60x zoom and have zoomed in with the phone. If I back off the phone's digital zoom, the head is hanging in there pretty good. Just noticing lots of movement on zoom with the camera. I guess I should learn how to use the zoom and digiscope better, rather than blame a perfectly operating panning head. Doh!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

tdhanses

WKR
Okay, I have been playing around in my backyard looking up at the Wasatch Front for the last 30 minutes or so. I am pretty certain that the balancing of the plate was the main culprit. Also, no matter how careful I am, my iPhone camera will pick up movement at 2-3 miles, when I am at full 60x zoom and have zoomed in with the phone. If I back off the phone's digital zoom, the head is hanging in there pretty good. Just noticing lots of movement on zoom with the camera. I guess I should learn how to use the zoom and digiscope better, rather than blame a perfectly operating panning head. Doh!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You need to set a timer delay so it can settle before taking a pic, 3 to 10 seconds i think is an option on the iphone.

sndmn11

WKR
Oh yeah forgot about those, i bought one once, tested it at home and all, worked amazing, then I immediately lost it.
I rubber banded mine to the spotter so it doesn't get left behind, but I always forgot to charge it. Now I have a battery pack thing, and just keep adding more sh!t to remember to take.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Luckily, I have an Apple Watch, so I have been practicing using it to take the photos through the iphone camera, from my wrist. And it even has a 3 second timer on it too. This has made it much easier to avoid the "shake" from touching the screen to push the button to take the photo. Learned about that one last Saturday. Good thing I have all this tech around and didn't have a clue until nearly a year later. DOH!!!

Last edited:

ZackP

WKR
Luckily, I have an Apple Watch, so I have been practicing using it to take the photos through the iphone camera, from my wrist. And it even has a 3 second timer on it too. This has made it much easier to avoid the "shake" from touching the screen to push the button to take the photo. Learned about that one last Saturday. Good thing I have all this tech around and didn't have a clue until nearly a year later. DOH!!!

That’s pretty handy 😂
I too have one of those Phone Skope BT thinger dingers, and I too also misplace mine at least a few weeks of each season lol.

I realize you’ve got the problem sorted out, but I’m just gonna mention I also love the VA5 head and it works well with the 773!

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
That’s pretty handy 😂
I too have one of those Phone Skope BT thinger dingers, and I too also misplace mine at least a few weeks of each season lol.

I realize you’ve got the problem sorted out, but I’m just gonna mention I also love the VA5 head and it works well with the 773!
Thank you ZachP! I put my 774 on my buddy's tripod (SLIK 624) with the VA5 head. That head is smoother than mine for sure. If I could figure out a way to switch it without him knowing, I would do it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have an outdoorsmans pistol grip head, pretty much a ball head and a 773, this isn’t an issue for me. Add a panner and your set.

Can’t wait to try this setup out! Wish there were more videos on YouTube to get a better idea of it’s all around function.Looking for a used setup on here hopefully.