Tripod head recommendation

tommynealy

Well Known Rokslider
What are some recommendations for a tripod head that will be used for glassing/shooting on backpack hunts. An arca swiss style plate is a must. I’d like to keep it under $200. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdog

Well Known Rokslider
I've been using a Sirui VA-5 for a few years now and it's been great so far. Mostly day trips with some 2-3 day trips as well. Very smooth for glassing with binos or a spotter and sturdy enough to shoot off of as well. Weighs 20oz so you'd have to decide if that weight was worth it for a backpack hunt.

Gbrecka

Well Known Rokslider
Just upgraded to the sirui va-5 as well. Seems much nicer than my old slik sprint, but haven’t put it thru all the paces yet

OP
tommynealy

tommynealy

Well Known Rokslider
Is a pan head like the VA5 as nice to shoot off of as a ball head? I’ve never shot off of a tripod but was just thinking a ball head would be easier to shoot off of but probably not as nice to glass with.

gilby

Well Known Rokslider
Is a pan head like the VA5 as nice to shoot off of as a ball head? I’ve never shot off of a tripod but was just thinking a ball head would be easier to shoot off of but probably not as nice to glass with.

I've taken two whitetails off the VA-5 head with an arca attachment. It's a pain to make sure everything is level since you have to correct cant with your legs.

The VA-5 is amazing for glassing though, and I had a much easier time spotting game than a buddy with a ball head.

roadrunner

Well Known Rokslider
Check out the offering from Bog Pod. Works fairly well and you can use the remaining $150 to buy something else.

Shoalwater

I’ve been very happy with mine from Two Vets. I run the kit tripod with the 44mm head as a dual purpose tripod for hunting and PRS.

OP
tommynealy

tommynealy

Well Known Rokslider
I’ve been very happy with mine from Two Vets. I run the kit tripod with the 44mm head as a dual purpose tripod for hunting and PRS.

I was looking at that one. Seems very nice. I’m assuming it’s smooth?

tdot

Well Known Rokslider

I now only use ball heads for glassing, and prefer them to pan heads. An integrated panning function can help split the difference in functionality. As a lightweight head for glassing, its pretty hard to beat the RRS BPC-16, at roughly 4oz and $130. I've shot off of it, but it's not ideal, if I truly wanted a shooting head, I'd look elsewhere.