Tripod help.

trdhunter

WKR
I just ordered a new spotter. 85 Razor from paul aka elknut. Great guy and great service btw. My current tripod sucks and im shopping for tripod/head. Needing some recomendations and any input. Would I be better of getting 2 tripods, one heavier-more sturdy for close to roads and a compact for backpacking, even though i might sacrifice some on smaller tripod?

Or would I be ahead with one tripod, something like slik 634/624, promaster, etc. Looking to be between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs for tripod/head and compact enough to pack.
I know i am wanting fluid/pan head not ball or pistol grip.
Thanks

Last edited:

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Both of the Slik's you mentioned, 634/624 would be your best bet to keep the weight down and also provide a quality solid tripod. For a good pan head and not breaking the bank, look at the new Vangaurd PH-113V. Weighs a pound only and supports even the biggest spotter with ease.

What is your budget for two tripods?

I don't know much about pan heads, but I have played with a lot of tripods.

If your budget is less than $400 for both:

- Vortex Summit SS is very light and compact 2lbs $130 a little less stable fully extended than I liked but still very good for the money.

- Manfrotto basic can get you pretty tall by the truck, and is under $200 4-5lbs. Built like a tank.

If you don't have a budget, check out the Outdoorsmans website for:

- Medium compact tripod 2lbs+-

- Tripod w/center post extension 3 lbs+- (80 inches extended!!)

First post was quite scatterbrained after 16 hour shift. I have narrowed down my search down to few tripods. Great price on promaster c423w.
Anyone have any experience or feedback on this tripod? http://www.amazon.com/Promaster-C423W-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod/dp/B003AXECSU
max height-57.5 weight-2lbs 8oz folded height-19"
Would promaster t525, slik 634, others be worth the extra money?
Thanks

Oops, missed this.

Slik has a wonderful reputation. I have not used it, but am very skeptical of 'tall' lightweight tripods with skinny legs, carbon fiber or not.

Extra money on a quality tripod really depends. At this point the balance is more about weight savings and stability, and to get both you have to spend a little money IMO. Spend a little more on the one you will use the most.