Tripod newbie need some advice on heads

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Have a hunt coming up that I want to have my spotter on. I come from western Oregon where seeing very far is in most cases not an option. Needless to say I’m behind on the times in this respect.
Looking to purchase a slik 634 to go with 65mm spotter. That is the part I know. But when it comes to fluid heads my head starts spinning a bit. Not sure what features are important. And then quick release plates?
Can someone point me in the right direction. Not trying to go high end but want something for backpacking and the possibility of adding a Spartan davros for my rifle.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of folks love the Sirui VA-5 fluid head. I use a ball head but I don’t use a spotter much, mostly binos on an outdoorsmans adapter and my rifle.

As for rifle, I have a Spartan cup in my stock and use the supplied stud adapter on other rifles and love the bipod, but adding an ARCA plate to your rifle is a better option in my opinion than the davros. Spartan really needs to make a male stud with 1/4-20 thread so you can put it on a QD plate and use a standard tripod head rather than adapting your optics to use the davros.

Legend

WKR
Get a pan head so you can effectively grid. I like the outdoorsman panhead.

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
I will look into the arca plate on the rifle.
Yeah definitely want a pan head. I think the outdoors man is out of my budget thought. I’ll look into that suiri

slatty

WKR
I have a really nice sirui and for the cost and weight I end up always using the field optics research fbh 30d (I think it’s called that). Really nice ball head and holds my giant meopta 82mm scope well.

DRUSS

WKR
Surui, Manfrotto, and Outdoorsmans make nice stuff. Keep in mind , that many great heads and tripods come up in the classifieds for great deals

rob86jeep

WKR
I have the Slik 634 with a Sirui VA-5 and it's I really like it. I use it more for my bino's but also have a 65mm spotter that works great on it as well. The head should come with one plate but they're not too expensive so just buy one for each of your devices (bino's, spotter, etc.).

It's not the lightest setup, but it makes me smile with how smooth it is every time I bust it out to glass compared to my old budget Slik tripod with the cheap ball head that came on it.

The Slik CF634 is a great option and there is an instant rebate plus the Rokslide discount. The VA5 head is the best for the money. It has a 6 year warranty, is Arca swiss plate and the handle is adjustable to any angle. With the current promo's we are running for members here the tripod, normally $249.99 would be $195.00. That includes the instant savings. The head, normally $164.90 would be $140.17 and then Sirui will mail you back $10

I am here today until 6:00 at 516-217-1000

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
The Slik CF634 is a great option and there is an instant rebate plus the Rokslide discount. The VA5 head is the best for the money. It has a 6 year warranty, is Arca swiss plate and the handle is adjustable to any angle. With the current promo's we are running for members here the tripod, normally $249.99 would be $195.00. That includes the instant savings. The head, normally $164.90 would be $140.17 and then Sirui will mail you back $10

I am here today until 6:00 at 516-217-1000

I was on the road all day today. I’ll call tomorrow. Thank you

Good morning. I am here until 10:00 today. I am here now. If you call after 10:00 ask for Jeff. I filled him in

516-217-1000