Tripod Options Similar to Slik 624

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Since you don't need the height, you could remove 2 of the lower leg sections off the promaster. Threads on here for how to find end caps to fit, I removed 2 and cut the thread off the bottom of the remaining leg, dropped over 1/2lb if I recall.
I actually played around with removing a lower leg section tonight and it would be easier than I thought. That said, I have enough rubber falling off and other issues developing with that tripod that I'd like to keep it as a backup and upgrade to a newer model for my primary.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
That is an interesting setup for sure. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with the stability with the center post on that particular tripod but you've made me think about it a bit, especially with the rifle sitting on top. I'll have to play around with widening the legs and see how I feel a out it with the center post that came with the Aoka to see if I think an upgrade might make it usable for me. Thanks for the idea.

No problem, just be forewarned the included Aoka center post is absolute garbage. The cheap Sunaway or whatever its called is 1000x more stable and rigid. I like that it gives me the ability to sit down with the Aoka and fine tune height using the center column.

Schaaf

WKR
No problem, just be forewarned the included Aoka center post is absolute garbage. The cheap Sunaway or whatever its called is 1000x more stable and rigid. I like that it gives me the ability to sit down with the Aoka and fine tune height using the center column.
is it sturdy enough for an 80mm spotter?

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I use the Aoka ball head. A light option that gets the job done. Surprisingly stable.
I thought that might be the case. I couldn't use that head, it's lightweight for sure but the pan control was awful on mine. Props to you if it doesn't bother you in use and can save you some money. I spent the money on the RRS BPC-16 which I like a lot better for smaller optics, but it certainly costs more.

Tunsei

FNG
Oben makes some sturdy light tripods similar to slik, but models constantly changing and they always try to package with ballhead combos so its hard to figure out weight of tripod alone. Worth a browse.

I’m late to the party here but nobody has mentioned the Peak Design carbon fiber tripod. It’s expensive at $600 BUT it’s the most compact tripod I’ve found. It’s only 14” long and has the girth of a soda can when it’s folded; and that’s without having to flip the center column. PLUS, it has an integrated (yet removable) ball head with a 20 pound weight capacity! All that in a 2.8lb package!

I’ve been considering it for my video and photo setup but I think it would make a first rate setup for my Swaro 85mm ATX and even for shooting one of my light backpack rifles. I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick one up and test it out. If I do, I’ll do a video comparing it to my other tripods; including my Promaster 525c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I’m late to the party here but nobody has mentioned the Peak Design carbon fiber tripod. It’s expensive at $600 BUT it’s the most compact tripod I’ve found. It’s only 14” long and has the girth of a soda can when it’s folded; and that’s without having to flip the center column. PLUS, it has an integrated (yet removable) ball head with a 20 pound weight capacity! All that in a 2.8lb package!

I’ve been considering it for my video and photo setup but I think it would make a first rate setup for my Swaro 85mm ATX and even for shooting one of my light backpack rifles. I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick one up and test it out. If I do, I’ll do a video comparing it to my other tripods; including my Promaster 525c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Peak Design stuff I have, but their tripod has flick locks and is fairly pricey in comparison to the Slik. I'd certainly be interested in your comparison once you get one.

The closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for that would sway me from the Slik is the Blackovis Treeline Carbon tripod but I'm worried it won't be as stable as I want and may be lacking in height just a bit in certain situations. Either way, it's about time I make a purchase as I have some upcoming scouting trips planned where I could put it to use.

colt1776

FNG
LS-254C would be another option little heavy at 40oz but if you remove the lower section it’s 6oz lighter plenty sturdy to shoot off of

Attachments

• 699FFD14-CC28-4C78-A108-63D2B34ADBE0.jpeg
    699FFD14-CC28-4C78-A108-63D2B34ADBE0.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 48
  • E260A982-7513-42D7-82AA-99D538828607.jpeg
    E260A982-7513-42D7-82AA-99D538828607.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 4DE31D86-609C-4A2B-B2A1-FB7EF8800164.jpeg
    4DE31D86-609C-4A2B-B2A1-FB7EF8800164.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 44

ChrisAU

WKR
is it sturdy enough for an 80mm spotter?
I’d like to revisit this question - I’m taking my Aoka/Sunaway system to WY for a mule deer hunt this week and after playing with it more it is fine with my 85mm Leupold SX4 on it. The weight of the spotter helps with stability. That using a Wiser Precision pan head too. I’ll have my 36mm Innorel and Sirui VA5 for truck camp use but the Aoka/Sunaway will be in my backpack.

I’d like to revisit this question - I’m taking my Aoka/Sunaway system to WY for a mule deer hunt this week and after playing with it more it is fine with my 85mm Leupold SX4 on it. The weight of the spotter helps with stability. That using a Wiser Precision pan head too. I’ll have my 36mm Innorel and Sirui VA5 for truck camp use but the Aoka/Sunaway will be in my backpack.
How did it go on your hunt?

ChrisAU

WKR
How did it go on your hunt?

Absolutely loved using the Aoka/Sunaway/Wiser Precision combo with a Aziak adapter on my binos. The big spotter was a bit much, both for toting around and for the tripod setup. Acquired a Razor 11-33x50 for that role in the future after I got back from the hunt.

253B688D-20D0-4E1A-9673-E3BD456BB38B.jpeg

Absolutely loved using the Aoka/Sunaway/Wiser Precision combo with a Aziak adapter on my binos. The big spotter was a bit much, both for toting around and for the tripod setup. Acquired a Razor 11-33x50 for that role in the future after I got back from the hunt.

View attachment 506044
Awesome! I have really been thinking about picking this system up. Thanks for posting back. Was your big spotter causing the head to fall?

kaboku68

WKR
Leupold Pro compact tripod with a ball head is pretty darned good too. The new Vortex summit 2 tripod needs a better panhead but the outdoorsman's minipanhead is freaking money on it. The Sirui 024X is pretty good too and would work with an 80 mm. The Vortex Summit 2 will work with 85 mm as well.