Tripod preference ?'s

I am working on putting together an S&S Archery edition OEM manufactured lightweight carbon fiber Tripod. I know what features I like/want in a tripod but was wondering what everyone else is looking for? In an ideal world what is your "perfect" tripod?

What is the ideal height?
What is the ideal weight or better put what are you willing to give up; more weight for more stability or lighter in weight and not as stable?
Twist locks or lever locks?

Thanks,
Steve

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds pretty good Steve!

Here is my list:

1. Flip locks.
2. Seated glassing height.
3. Replaceable feet.
4. Accepts any head.
5. No more than 4 leg sections.
6. Hook for hanging weight.
7. Under 2 pounds.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Steve,

I personally think there is no ideal tripod,

I like having two, one tall, heavier sturdier tall enough to stand up behind.

The other smaller, lighter for backpacking.

Flip locks without a doubt.

Are you also thinking about heads?

R

red

Personally it's all about weight for me. I have been using a Cullmann tripod for the last 10 years. It is 18" compressed including the head, it expands up to 50" and hits the scales at 1 lb 8oz including head and two quick connect plates. I usually drop 2 sections of legs for backpack hunting and that drops 7oz off the weight and still allows me 12" in leg adjustment. Ive been wanting to upgrade it but I can't justify spending $300-$400 on a new tripod that weights more.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Steve,

I personally think there is no ideal tripod,

I like having two, one tall, heavier sturdier tall enough to stand up behind.

The other smaller, lighter for backpacking.

Flip locks without a doubt.

Are you also thinking about heads?

Yeah I would agree with that, I guess I am approaching it from the backcountry perspective where weight is always an issue.

Surprised about lever locks instead of twist. I like twist a lot more as its faster to adjust.

Yeah I am working on designing my own 2 way pan head. Shooting for something crazy light but still rock solid and smooth.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Personally it's all about weight for me. I have been using a Cullmann tripod for the last 10 years. It is 18" compressed including the head, it expands up to 50" and hits the scales at 1 lb 8oz including head and two quick connect plates. I usually drop 2 sections of legs for backpack hunting and that drops 7oz off the weight and still allows me 12" in leg adjustment. Ive been wanting to upgrade it but I can't justify spending $300-$400 on a new tripod that weights more.

I have seen the Cullmann's before and was not at all impressed with the stability on them. They are light though.

dotman

WKR
Sounds pretty good Steve!

Here is my list:

1. Flip locks.
2. Seated glassing height.
3. Replaceable feet.
4. Accepts any head.
5. No more than 4 leg sections.
6. Hook for hanging weight.
7. Under 2 pounds.

X2...but also try to keep the price within reason.

dotman

WKR
Yeah I would agree with that, I guess I am approaching it from the backcountry perspective where weight is always an issue.

Surprised about lever locks instead of twist. I like twist a lot more as its faster to adjust.

Yeah I am working on designing my own 2 way pan head. Shooting for something crazy light but still rock solid and smooth.

I feel flip are more durable, twist seems to develop issues easier and need to be maintained more often in my experience.

R

red

I have seen the Cullmann's before and was not at all impressed with the stability on them. They are light though.

Yes, they are not as stable as most. If I will be glassing for a long time I hang a filled water bottle from the middle of the tripod and it makes a world of difference.

bowuntr

WKR
Need some more info. Are you packing it, using a chair, sitting/standing, what optics....

I use the Cullman Nanomax 220 with a Jim White head.... its my backpacking tripod an supports my Swaro 65 and Leica Geovids fine. Ed F

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Need some more info. Are you packing it, using a chair, sitting/standing, what optics....

I use the Cullman Nanomax 220 with a Jim White head.... its my backpacking tripod an supports my Swaro 65 and Leica Geovids fine. Ed F

What are your needs specifically? For me I am packing it and need it tall and stable enough for Video use and running 80mm spotters.

bowuntr

WKR
Maybe I should have just agreed with Drhorsepower's first sentence... There's no perfect tripod for all needs.

Here's what I would use and buy... A compact, light, sturdy tripod with flip locks and max of 40". Carbon fiber, large diameter tubes might help accomplish this. Anything that is lighter, smaller and sturdier than my current tripod... I'd be looking at and would consider buying.

Anything that handles a big video camera is a whole different tripod. I use mine for my binos, spotter and a small video camera... Ed F

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Maybe I should have just agreed with Drhorsepower's first sentence... There's no perfect tripod for all needs.

Here's what I would use and buy... A compact, light, sturdy tripod with flip locks and max of 40". Carbon fiber, large diameter tubes might help accomplish this. Anything that is lighter, smaller and sturdier than my current tripod... I'd be looking at and would consider buying.

Anything that handles a big video camera is a whole different tripod. I use mine for my binos, spotter and a small video camera... Ed F

Thanks for the input, that would be a great backcountry tripod.

Gman

WKR
Steve,

I love the idea for the project but may I ask "why"? I'm not being a smart a** but what are the current options like the Slik and the Promaster carbon missing that can be greatly improved upon? Just curious as I have debated this a million times but feel like those are two pretty good options in that class of tripod.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Steve,

I love the idea for the project but may I ask "why"? I'm not being a smart a** but what are the current options like the Slik and the Promaster carbon missing that can be greatly improved upon? Just curious as I have debated this a million times but feel like those are two pretty good options in that class of tripod.

Good question, I guess because there is always room for improvement. There are a few little things about each of those tripods I would change if I could. So far they are the best I have found and that's why I sell them but if I can have one made to my exact specs with the "hunter" in mind its a win win.

Gman

WKR
Thanks for the insight. I like tinkering to get as close as I can to perfection as well so I understand the motivation.