Tripod questions, new head or entire set up

Rob5589

WKR
Currently I use a Vortex Summit SSP but an older version with a very basic ball head. The ball head is a pita when trying to glass and pan, line up on the target, etc. I generally glass from a seated position, rarely standing. The base has worked fine for me, the head is what I do not like. So question is; replace the head with the Sirui VA5 that Cameraland has on sale; or buy the entire Sirui T024 and VA5 head combo they have.

Thanks

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got rid of my SSP tripod in pretty quick order. Too shaky in even a slightest breeze. If you want the lightest head that will pan then look at the Really Right Stuff BPC 16. It's a 4oz ballhead with a panner on it. Holds up to 5lbs. Otherwise the VA5 gets some killer reviews.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll just echo all of it, ran the VA5 for over 60 days last year and it got thrashed by me and never skipped a beat. I love this head. I've got two plates to switch between binos on an outdoorsman adapter and my straight spotter. Make's target acquisition to verify animals so quick and the head doesn't move. Just make sure to line up your plates with the bino adapter/spotter before going out.

That combo on GoHunt is ridiculous - https://shop.gohunt.com/collections...i-t-004sk-va-5-fluid-head-aluminum-tripod-kit

I still prefer the Slik 624 Pro though

The tripod from Go hunt at $189.90 is full retail. We have it, through April, for members here for $151.92 and you get $15 back from Sirui
Give me a call if I can help you
Joel
516-217-1000

The tripod from Go hunt at $189.90 is full retail. We have it, through April, for members here for $151.92 and you get $15 back from Sirui
Give me a call if I can help you
Joel
516-217-1000

Just received mine from Cameraland. It’s a nice little setup. Tripod alone is 2lb 3oz. Pretty solid for the weight, amazing for the price! Basically a free tripod as the va5 is usually 150.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Called CL today and Joel got me squared away with the Sirui T024 and VA5 head combo. Thanks all for the help.

I'll just echo all of it, ran the VA5 for over 60 days last year and it got thrashed by me and never skipped a beat. I love this head. I've got two plates to switch between binos on an outdoorsman adapter and my straight spotter. Make's target acquisition to verify animals so quick and the head doesn't move. Just make sure to line up your plates with the bino adapter/spotter before going out.

That combo on GoHunt is ridiculous - https://shop.gohunt.com/collections...i-t-004sk-va-5-fluid-head-aluminum-tripod-kit

I still prefer the Slik 624 Pro though

Hey,

What plates should i buy for the VA-5? I just got the head but I am confused on what the head will accept.