Tripod questions

Ktwebb33

FNG
I have zero experience with quality tripod’s. Is there a way to use a tripod that serves multiple purposes? I enjoy photography, so using the tripod with a camera is one purpose. Besides that, I would like to be able to use for glassing with bino’s, as well as mounting rifles to it. I have tried to figure it out on my own, but I haven’t been able to wrap my head around it. I would like to be able to attach an ARCA adapter to the picatinny rail’s I already have on my rifles. Any help is greatly appreciated. Open to any ideas or suggestions.

Northpark

WKR
So I used a cheap vortex aluminum Tripod for several years. This fall I moved up to a sirui Carbon fiber tripod with the va-5 fluid head and wholly cow was that an upgrade. I spend a lot of time glassing coues deer with binos and spotter. I also use it with a triclawps rifle rest to shoot off of. Basically I have 3 plates to simply switch options around between binos spotter and rifle quickly.

Elkangle

WKR
Two products will help you out

I haven't done it yet but looking at salmon river solution arca/pic combos would be dang handy mounted just infront if the floor plate of the rifle..I have a standard arca on my chasi rifle and love the center mounted versatility out to 300-400 yards

The next is RRS dual clamp that accepts arca & pic..I've had this for a couple years now and gives you just one more option when hunting in rough country

Being as versatile as possible and having options when set up situations are less then ideal will always yield the best results

I started with a cheaper aluminum vortex tripod and now have a carbon pro master with a pan head that is way nicer and more stable but is pretty heavy for too much packing. I’m thinking about getting something lightweight for longer trips. In hindsight I probably should’ve just spent more on one lighter and still stable tripod instead, something to consider. I spoke with someone at camera land who was very knowledgeable and answered all of my tripod questions. I don’t remember his name but I was very impressed with his customer service, I recommend trying them if you don’t get the answers you need here.

madcalfe

WKR
just need a arca plate any gunsmith or even yourself if you have the know how can mount it on your rifle. Like mentioned above mount it in front of your bottom metal for better stability. also make sure the tripod head you get can support the weight of your rifle.

OP
K

Ktwebb33

FNG
For tripods & heads, it's like pretty much anything else: the more you pay, generally the better you get. Really Right Stuff is going to be the top of the heap, but they are also on the expensive side. If you want to save some money, Two Vets might be a good option for you for the tripod legs. I wouldn't mess with the cheap +/-$200 legs. I've got the Two Vets Ruck, and it's a good enough tripod for glassing, but it's a big compromise for shooting.

I wouldn't compromise on the head, especially if you are going to shoot from it. I definitely haven't owned/used every head out there, but I've used some cheapo's and I currently have a cheap 28mm sunwayfoto ballhead, a 30mm RRS BH-30, a 50mm Feisol CB-50D, and an Anvil30. The anvil is far and away superior to anything else for shooting. I also like the Anvil for using binos. The Anvil is a compromise for spotter use, but useable.

For me, the RRS 2 Series, 4 Section tripod with integrated Anvil30 is the jack of all trades shooting/hunting set-up. Yeah, it's not super-mega-ultra-light, but it's not a big deal to pack. At least not "out west" where I hunt.

As far as attachments go, there's a ton of ARCA plates that you can attach to your spotter and/or camera. I'd stay away from the cheap-o chinese plates, and pay the few extra dollars from a reputable company that is manufacturing to the RRS "spec". For Bino's I really like the RRS bino cinch, but there are other options out there too.

For your rifles, install an arca plate at the balance point. For most hunting rifles, this is going to be right in from of your BDL/DBM - don't attach to the very end of your stock. It's easy to install a couple T-nuts into the rifle fore-end and then attach the arca plate. Use a drill press or a hand drill. I'd go with Area 419 or Henderson, maybe the new RRS Arca rail when it's released. For my hunting rifles, I like the smaller +/-4" rails, and I wouldn't want anything shorter. For my other rifles, I like a full length arca rail.

You only need a a few hand tools to install the rail yourself
View attachment 357219

Pull your stock and mark hole locations
View attachment 357221

Drill bottom of stock for screws (also serve as pilot holes for next step)
View attachment 357220

Flip stock and use 3/4" paddle bit to drill for tee-nuts (forgot to take a picture, haha)

Reassemble rifle and you're good to go
View attachment 357222

Thanks TK for the help. I’m completely comfortable mounting a plate myself and will probably go that route with it. Thanks again!