Tripod recommendations

hogcarpy

FNG
I’m looking at upgrading my tripod for my large spotting scope, Vortex Razor 85mm. I’ve considered the Sliks and a carbon fiber Manfrotto. I’d like to be somewhat light but stability is my first concern. Any thoughts on a tripod and head would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Should be quite a few reviews on here. I’d try the slik if I was you. I have an Outdoorsmans and while it’s bulletproof, its also heavy, loud, and cold when temperatures drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I run a slik 624 for weight and packability and I used to have a vortex 85 that went on top of it. But I use a full size outdoorsmans panhead to handle it. It was plenty stable enough for me. Only time it was shaky was in high wind, and if the wind is strong enough no tripod will totally prevent a shaky view through a spotter. I kinda think the panhead might be as important or more important than the tripod itself. A panhead that can lock up solid and move smoothly is really important for the bigger spotters imo

The Promaster XC525C is a great choice . Compact, carbon Fiber and light weight.
Another fantastic choice is the Sirui W-1204 w X10 head. Slightly heavier then the Promaster and Slik but weatherproof and super solid.
Happy to discuss.
Give me a call

Napperm4

WKR
Angled - slik624 or straight if you’re over 5’9” I’d go with the slik634.

As for the head - Outdoorsmans regular pan head locks down and moves smooth but I’m not happy with mine as there is no real way to adjust the tension. It’s either free or locked.

I’m thinking of getting a sirui VA-5 for this season. A little heavier and bulkier for packing but sounds like a better option from the reviews I’ve seen. I contemplated the new Outdoorsmans fluid head too as I’m sure it’s a decent piece of gear but the price tag on that just seems too damn high.

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
For a great value budget spotter vanguard 264AO, I'm 6'2" and can stand with it.

I'd like to know what carbon fiber ones are out there for a tall fella like myself.

A slik 634 would be my suggestion.

I have an outdoorsmans medium with a center post extension I've been working with. Both are nice. I'll give the weight and height advantage to the 634 but the build of the outdoorsmans is awesome.

For heads I prefer the outdoorsmans pistol grip with panner for binoculars. I have an outdoorsmans regular panhead I use mostly for spotters or on my window mount due to its small size and low profile.

I have a big manfrotto aluminum tripod and 700rc fluid head I really like to run my kowa 884 spotter on. It's never far from the truck but is as solid as a bridge pier.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a slik 634 from S&S archery and love it so far. Also have a sirui VA-5 from them that’s very smooth.

WestNE

WKR
I'll throw Leofoto into the mix. I picked up there lightest four section, the LS-224. It is fairly short without the add on center column (there is not a standard center column like most tripods) but incredibly compact and super solid. For a heavier scope the make the ls-254c which still comes in at 2lbs even minus head.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
I bought the Leofoto LS-324C, its 3lbs without the head. I've used it to shoot in the prone and standing positions. I probably didnt need one that heavy duty. I just run a cheap ball head works great for glassing.

jkingrph

FNG
I have a Manfrotto 190go carbon fiber tripod, 4section legs that I picked up used for about half price at Adorama. I put a Manfrotto 550ah fluid video head on it and it's relatively light and the video head gives smooth movement.

My first tripod was a cheapie, via a USAF bx over in Turkey nearly 50 years ago, still have it. It has a geared center shaft which I always liked. and have been looking for a sturdier replacement, I recently found one, a Manfrotto 57c3-g carbon fiber and I plan on their 405 3way geared head to mount my larger scope. With 39mm top tubes it should be rather rigid and stable. Not the lightest thing but it will be close to the house or in the truck.