Tripod Recommendations

eck

FNG
I'm planning on buying my first spotter in about two weeks and need recommendations for a good tripod. I only have about $200 to spend on the tripod, including a head if I need to buy one separately. I've been looking at Field Research Optics, Slik and Vanguard as they are all in stock at my local Sportsman's, but I'm open to anything in my price range. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
I really like the Sirui A-1205 WY11 head i got from Doug at cameraland. It was under 200 last year when I got it. I spent a lot of time behind it last year with my binos and am really happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
$200 wont really get you a “good” spotter/head.
It may get you an “acceptable” rig.
You should really shoot for the $400 mark at least, it will make a huge difference.
Wobble and weight are key words.
Good tripods are lightweight and have little wobble.
Cheap ones are either lightweight with lots of wobble, or very heavy with acceptable wobble.
Sliks are nice

I was lucky and found a used slik 634 with a no name acceptable pan head for $200 shipped in the classifieds here. Real happy with it as my first setup, I like the twist locking legs, super efficient.

Jbogg

FNG
Camofire.com has a Vanguard on sale today for $124 with free shipping.

OP
E

eck

FNG
$200 wont really get you a “good” spotter/head.
It may get you an “acceptable” rig.
You should really shoot for the $400 mark at least, it will make a huge difference.
Wobble and weight are key words.
Good tripods are lightweight and have little wobble.
Cheap ones are either lightweight with lots of wobble, or very heavy with acceptable wobble.
Sliks are nice
$200 is my budget for the tripod/head not including the spotter

Spoonman

WKR
Seriously try and spend $250 and wait for the one I mentioned above to go on sale. You’ll be disappointed in any other $200 tripod. The Sirui T-024SK Compact Tripod with VA-5 Fluid Head is better than the price tag. Call camera land and talk to them, they’ll point you in the right direction for your budget.

Selous

FNG
Seriously try and spend $250 and wait for the one I mentioned above to go on sale. You’ll be disappointed in any other $200 tripod. The Sirui T-024SK Compact Tripod with VA-5 Fluid Head is better than the price tag. Call camera land and talk to them, they’ll point you in the right direction for your budget.
Agree with this and that particular Sirui combo, but also recognize it’s not my money. I’d also call the folks at Cameraland - they might be able to find one of those combos at the most recent sales price which was around 250. Or direct you to something else that would meet your expectations at $200.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Instead of the Sirui T-024sk you could always opt for the Sirui T-004sk. Basically substituting an aluminum tripod vs carbon fiber.

It’s available online with the VA-5 head for just under $200- Good deal.

Then You could always upgrade the tripod later if you want. I have it and think it’s perfectly fine for my needs.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on buying my first spotter in about two weeks and need recommendations for a good tripod. I only have about $200 to spend on the tripod, including a head if I need to buy one separately. I've been looking at Field Research Optics, Slik and Vanguard as they are all in stock at my local Sportsman's, but I'm open to anything in my price range. Thanks

I currently have one for sale in the optics classified section.

I was in a similar boat as you a couple years ago. This Mefoto seems to be a good compromise between weight/compact and price.

Slik is pretty much the only “lower priced” tripod that isn’t made in China if that is important to you. Like the others have said, $200 isn’t enough. I personally would wait and spend more later. I had a spotter for years that was basically worthless, a large part was because of the cheap and unstable tripod. You would be better served just using binoculars and saving your money.

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the process simple.... Call Doug at cameraland; tell him your budget and purpose and they will find the best tripod for your needs and beat anyone's price. I just ordered the Slik 723CF and Promaster Pan head out the door for $244. I can sit as well as stand with that tripod. Tripod only weighs 3lbs

OP
E

eck

FNG
I currently have one for sale in the optics classified section.

I was in a similar boat as you a couple years ago. This Mefoto seems to be a good compromise between weight/compact and price.
I'd like the option to using it standing

OP
E

eck

FNG
Slik is pretty much the only “lower priced” tripod that isn’t made in China if that is important to you. Like the others have said, $200 isn’t enough. I personally would wait and spend more later. I had a spotter for years that was basically worthless, a large part was because of the cheap and unstable tripod. You would be better served just using binoculars and saving your money.
This may be the route I end up going then, I'd rather spend a little more to get something worth having than have to buy a new tripod right away because I went cheap.

OP
E

eck

FNG
Keep the process simple.... Call Doug at cameraland; tell him your budget and purpose and they will find the best tripod for your needs and beat anyone's price. I just ordered the Slik 723CF and Promaster Pan head out the door for $244. I can sit as well as stand with that tripod. Tripod only weighs 3lbs
I'm obviously new here, but Cameraland seems to come highly recommended from a lot of people