Tripod Selection Help (Swaro 65 ATX)

I was in the same boat as you last year. I tested some of my buddies gear ect, ended up dropping the $ on an outdoorsman setup. I am so glad I did! Extremely stable, and also by far the easiest tripod to use I've handled. The clamp locks an the legs and centerpost design are very well thought out. Side note, if you're planning on getting into heavier glass, I'd definitely recommend the regular size pan head. It's very very minimally heavier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I was in the same boat as you last year. I tested some of my buddies gear ect, ended up dropping the $ on an outdoorsman setup. I am so glad I did! Extremely stable, and also by far the easiest tripod to use I've handled. The clamp locks an the legs and centerpost design are very well thought out. Side note, if you're planning on getting into heavier glass, I'd definitely recommend the regular size pan head. It's very very minimally heavier.

How much does it all weigh?

How much does it all weigh?
3 lbs 1oz. That's a medium tripod. You could drop a little weight going with the compact medium. There are some lighter options ou there, but i think about it this way: This is my #1 most important system for finding animals, and thus being successful in the field. if it doesn't work well, who cares how light it is? And honestly 3 lbs for a rock solid tripod/head is pretty dang light.
dc4afbda86fbd2538e754743a759db51.jpg

Looks pretty awesome. I guess you went with the 28" tall one?

I haven't hunted with a spotter much in the past. But glassing with binos, I'm always sitting. I can't imagine I'd do much different with the spotter. I can always get another heavier tripod for standing and less physical hunting trips if I want.

Do you think it will be sturdy enough for my 65mm ATX from a siting position?

I don't like that it doesn't have a hook to add a stability weight, but I was thinking that I could rig something up with fly line backing.

The other tripod that has caught my eye in the last few days of reading is the Sirui T-025x. Supposedly 18 oz with trimmed legs. Do you have any experience with this one to make a comparison to the Aoka?

Thanks for your help. You have always helped me with good info in the past :)
I just got the Aoka last night and I'm working all this weekend, so I won't have a chance to really test it out until Monday. It also came with a CF telescoping pole section that attaches to the top of the tripod and adds another 25"-26" to the overall height, but when I set it up like that, even with the light 28 oz. Kowa, it was very unstable. I absolutely think it would be stable enough for your 65 in a low position like that, and maybe even when elevated (not using the telescoping extension). When I get home tonight I'll throw the 80mm STM on it and see how it feels, but like I said, I won't be able to really check it out until Monday. I do think that it would be very easy to attach some sort of hook, or whatever to it for hanging wt.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Sirui, so can't comment to that. I packed a very expensive, 4 lb. carbon fiber Manfrotto around for a couple seasons and, although it was super stable and bomber, never again will I carry a tripod that weighs that much (banging my head against a brick wall right now). As far as I'm concerned, there are way too many less expensive, and very capable, tripods available.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I just got the Aoka last night and I'm working all this weekend, so I won't have a chance to really test it out until Monday. It also came with a CF telescoping pole section that attaches to the top of the tripod and adds another 25"-26" to the overall height, but when I set it up like that, even with the light 28 oz. Kowa, it was very unstable. I absolutely think it would be stable enough for your 65 in a low position like that, and maybe even when elevated (not using the telescoping extension). When I get home tonight I'll throw the 80mm STM on it and see how it feels, but like I said, I won't be able to really check it out until Monday. I do think that it would be very easy to attach some sort of hook, or whatever to it for hanging wt.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Sirui, so can't comment to that. I packed a very expensive, 4 lb. carbon fiber Manfrotto around for a couple seasons and, although it was super stable and bomber, never again will I carry a tripod that weighs that much (banging my head against a brick wall right now). As far as I'm concerned, there are way too many less expensive, and very capable, tripods available.

So... What's the verdict? 😬

So... What's the verdict?

Man, I’m liking it! It is much more stable than the 17 oz. wt. would lead you to believe, no where near as robust as something that costs several hundred dollars more and is 4x the wt., but it’s plenty sturdy enough for my needs, and for sure my little Kowa. Verdict’s still out on whether or not it will replace the Sprint Mini for the 80mm Swaro, but maybe. I need to do some more field testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of tripods out there that meet your needs. Slik, Promaster and Sirui are all reasonably priced, well made and have many options. Give me a call and I am happy to discuss the various options

Joel
516-217-1000

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Man, I’m liking it! It is much more stable than the 17 oz. wt. would lead you to believe, no where near as robust as something that costs several hundred dollars more and is 4x the wt., but it’s plenty sturdy enough for my needs, and for sure my little Kowa. Verdict’s still out on whether or not it will replace the Sprint Mini for the 80mm Swaro, but maybe. I need to do some more field testing.

Think I should give it a shot with my ATX 65mm?

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Which height did you get? 28" or 53"?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Does a heavier tripod really help in wind? I feel like when the wind is really blowing, it won't matter what kind of tripod you have - it's going to shake no matter what.

How does being heavier help in general?

Napperm4

WKR
Does a heavier tripod really help in wind? I feel like when the wind is really blowing, it won't matter what kind of tripod you have - it's going to shake no matter what.

How does being heavier help in general?

Night and day difference. Heavier and carbon fibre both reduce vibrations from wind. The reason most tripods have a place to hang a weight is to add stability to them.

If you’re trying to use the centerpost with any kind of extension you’ll still notice that in the wind, however when cranked down and you’re using a heavier or carbon tripod, it eliminates most of the vibrations

I just wanted to add my thoughts of the little Aoka tripod. This thread piqued my interest in it and for a reasonable price, I decided to get one and I’ve tried it out a few times with a small spotter and binoculars.

First, for what it is, it’s a dang good tripod. Very stable and very lightweight. With a larger head, it could probably handle a large spotter fine.

But, what it is, is very small. It’s a sitting only tripod, and if you would be using a large spotter, you’ll need to put the legs out wide that will further shorten the height. The vertical pole extension does help get a little higher but I would say only one segment length is usable without any wind.

The ball head that comes with it is cute, but the ball tightening mechanism is horrible. You have to loosen it a lot before there’s smooth freedom and then it’s real loose. So it’s definitely not a fluid moving head.

The other negative is that there’s no hook to hang weight from. I’ll be working on attaching one myself.

I see two niches for this tripod. One, if I’m going ultra lightweight and I know I’ll be above vegetation, it should work well enough with my outdoorsmans pan head. The second is a travel tripod for my camera. There’s just no excuse to not take this along with my full frame and lens and the ball head will work just fine for photography.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Newish video head combo from Slik. They have a carbon and aluminum option. If your going with a video head, this is worth checking out in person if you can.

PRO CF-634SVH Kit with SVH-501 Video Head
Kit Includes CF-634 Legs and SVH-501 Video Head
Max Height - 66.7 in
Folded Height - 22.5 in
Max Load - 6.6 lbs
Weight - 3.25 lbs
Material - Carbon Fiber
Quick Release - Arca Type

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
The Aoka made a believer out of me. A little over 3lbs 2oz for the whole Kowa 553 package....thats less than my Promaster alone. When I need more scope I’ll use the Zeiss

Attachments

• 6C3649C5-62CE-44D8-B8D5-627F0711127E.jpeg
    6C3649C5-62CE-44D8-B8D5-627F0711127E.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 56
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I got the Aoka as well. Works for what I wanted it to do. I will need to get a taller tripod at some point, but this is all I need for backpacking in and glassing while sitting.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to throw out a little more information regarding the AOKA tripod that I learned about on this thread. I had been looking over the Spartan line of products but figured it was just a little to complicated with all the gadgets plus very pricey....BUT, I saw an opportunity to make the little AOKA more versatile. I bought one of the Davros heads that are on sale now and actually more reasonable with the Rockslide discount added on. All I had to add was an optics and Rifle adapter and now its is a multi use tool. Rifle tripod/Bipod from low prone all the way up to sitting, and spotting scope tripod for my Kowa 55. If I am already carrying it for the spotting scope, why not use it as a Rifle Bipod if needed, and it’s rock solid

754DB719-4EA8-4779-B9BA-9ECB78FBE76D.jpeg7DFF4C04-F1F5-4CF2-BE62-3BFBF7D386D3.jpegD680A0AA-6C94-4000-99B9-07DC9A94F5F5.jpeg28DB0872-EEC9-4DDD-A615-8197FA60306A.jpeg05F083F1-51AA-4EC0-8C5D-C1B5BCB8C70D.jpeg46964446-BBB7-4823-AB41-6B6A8BC72142.jpegE03C0D71-0B25-4930-9061-3A3CB31FB0E6.jpeg

Last edited:

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
I dont see anyone post Swarovski with aoka. Here is mine. I believe it the same/similar tripod( coman 55")

Attachments

• 20200505_200613.jpg
    20200505_200613.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 68