Tripod set up

Tradchef

WKR
Guys,
I’m new to the tripod game. Or should I say late to the game. I’ve got a pair of SLC 10x42‘s on the way and I’d like to see what’s out there for tripods and adapters etc..,do I need the swaro adapter or are there others to look at?

scott

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of options available now, Outdoorsman's makes a really good set up that will be similar in price to the swaro adapter. As far as tripods go you can run 10x42's off most any tripod and have stability. If you are anything like most on here the 10x42's seem to multiply into 15x56's and a spotter. If you intend to use the bigger glass you may want to get a sturdier tripod right out of the gate. I upgraded my tripod with each set of glass that I bought and ended up paying twice as much as I would have if I just bought my current set up. Currently I have sirui t024sk legs with a sirui VA-5 head for backpacking or when I know I am going to be hiking in to an area. The other tripod I use is the Manfrotto 290 extra carbon with a Sirui VA-5 head on top. The manfrotto is taller and when not fully extended more stable , at 6'7" I can glass standing up. The Sirui legs are light weight and compact but stable enough that you can glass with a spotter at 45x. For reference I am using the Swarovski SLC 10x42 15x56 and a Zeiss Diascope 65mm. These tripods both perform very well with this line up of glass. Hoping to get an 80+mm spotter soon but I have no doubt that these systems would work just as well for that.

Last edited:
We have a lot of great tripods. Give me a call and mention Rokslide for special pricing. We have tadapters at a fraction of the cost of Swarovski that you can use
Joel
516-217-1000

pirogue

WKR
One thing to consider on adapters is the design that positions it on the tripod. The Outdoorsman adapter is designed for strength, but not ergonomics. As the stud is mounted in the objective lens hinge, this is forward of the center of the binos, creating a longer radius(center of tripod to bino eyepiece) and greater panning circumference (of eyepiece travel path), as compared to the cheaper strap on adapters that allow center of binos to be placed directly over center of tripod. The longer the binos, 12 and 15, the longer the radius. So glassing, especially panning, with the Outdoorsman leads to more head and upper body movement. Another disadvantage of the Outdoorsman compared to the strap on type, is the binos have to be spread, to fit over the adapter post, and then remelded(2 viewing barrels into one)