Tripod setup

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
This year I’m wanting to ditch the Harris bipods and run off a tripod. Figure I’ll already have a tripod with me for spotting scope and binos but I’m trying to think of a universal mount for all three? I feel like a monfrato attachment on the rifle would be awkward and a Picatinny would be perfect but I’m trying to picture how that would attach to the spotting scope and Bino adapter. Any one who runs this set up have any advice?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Just attach a piece of Pic rail to your bino or spotter. I think RRS sells a acra to pic plate....I think. Or just use a Arca plate on all. Couple tbolts in the stock for direct attach to the stock and many different heads take arca plate. Acra plates work with my Outdoorsman tripod and like wise outdoorsman work with my RRS tripod with Anvil head. I was shooting steel at 1000 sitting with just knee for rear support with my RRS set up the other day. The Anvil might not be the best set up for long glassing sessions

bradb

WKR
I lied my arca plate does not fit in my Jim white head on my outdoorsman tripod.
The plates for the jim white head do it in my anvil head

hwy1strat

WKR
Mount an arca rail to the bottom of your rifle stock. That is the most stable. Henderson and Area419 both make them for rifle stocks

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone use the same head for their rifle and glassing? It seems the options such as an RRS Anvil may not work out for longer sessions.

bradb

WKR
last year I did have a RRS leveling head on a different tripod and it worked good. The anvil might be fine I just don't have time behind it to say. I DO NOT think it will be as nice as a good fluid head. It really is a ball head, a good one

mcseal2

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans head and rifle rest on a Promaster 525 tripod and am happy with it. I haven't used it at extreme range, but took a moose at 300 yards and a whitetail at 370 yards with it this year. Both were with my 300 win mag that weighs about 8lbs with scope, sling, ammo, ready to hunt. I get to shooting much further and I want to be prone so it works well for me. It works great for my optics too.

bradb

WKR
I personally don't think that ball heads are that good for grid glassing. But I also really dislike the pistol grip type heads(ballheads) I do think that the fluid type heads are much easier and more consistent in movement for glassing.
So it is a personal thing and I am splitting hairs a bit. It will work for sure, I just said it might not be the best. IN MY OPINION and ask my girl friend that doesn't count!!!!

TheCougar

WKR
I’m running a manfrotto fluid head with the outdoorsmans triclawps adaptor. I think it works pretty well, and does the same thing as a Pic rail. A good carbon fiber tripod with thick legs and a fluid head of key to a solid platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pootros

FNG
I use a Pig Saddle with a Field Optics CF tripod and it is solid. The tripod is dirt cheap, light, and can support 25+ lbs. The Pig Saddle is beefy but not super light. There is another lighter option in the Hog Saddle but it is more than double the price.