Tripod Setup?

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Alright Rokslide community, looking for some input and help here. I recently upgraded some of my optics and am now running into some tripod issues. I am running a Zeiss Harpia 95mm spotter now and my current Vortex Summit SS-P tripod that I’ve had for a while. I like the tripod, but it can’t handle the weight of the 95mm and really struggles with the weight in the wind. So, that being said, I am looking to upgrade my tripod system. I like what outdoorsmans has going, but don’t like the price as much. (And before anyone says “you can buy a harpia but worried about the tripod” I got the harpia EXTREMELY discounted that to the forums on here and now have a kid on the way). After reading some forums, it seems like a head from outdoorsmans such as the pan head would be a great move, so now basically trying to narrow down the actual tripod. Thoughts from anyone running a 95mm with possible extra digiscoping weight, in high country backpack style hunting with high possibility of high winds? Something slightly cheaper like Slik or Sirui? Or save up for Outdoorsmans? And pair with outdoorsmans pan head? Thanks and apologizes for the winded question haha

Block

WKR
Sirui VA-5 !!!! I love my outdoorsman Tripod, but I don’t think they can even come close to comparing with this head for the $ and Iv owned multiple outdoorsman heads

Cody_W

WKR
Sirui T-024SK Carbon Fiber Tripod with VA-5 Head has served me well with a 95mm Swarovski ATX when used with the 1.7 ME it is a little shaky if its raised tall, but for its weight I don't think I'll be in the market for anything else for a long time.

Head is important, but so are the legs. For a pleasurable viewing experience you need to sacrifice some weight. Still trying to dial in my system...but what I’ve learned is that the va-5 on top of 2lb legs is too light for my kowa 774. I’m thinking something closer to 3 pounds will be better.

TSimons9

FNG
The most stable tripod that I have personally used was a manfrotto 290 xtra carbon. Downside, it weighs close to 3 pounds if I remember correctly, but it would definitely handle a 95mm and it is about half the price of an outdoorsmans.

Aluminum : Outdoorsmans tall

Carbon : slik 824 CFL

Pick your poison.

I run an outdoorsmans panhead sometimes but am starting to prefer my gitzo 1720 fluid head with my kowa 884

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
I glass with Kowa 884 spotter and 15slc/10el binos. For day hunts I use a Slik 634 with the VA-5 head and couldn't be happier. For backpack trips I'll use either the Slik tripod or Vortex Summit tripod with the Outdoorsmans Pan or micro head just to save weight. The Va-5 head is amazingly smooth and handles the weight of big optics perfectly, to me way better than my outdoorsmans heads. I was a fan of the Benro S2 and it's good for the price but the VA-5 is better by a huge margin. If you are in Central Washington and want to test drive my setup before you buy just let me know(obviously when it's safe to do so).

Napperm4

WKR
Unpopular opinion but in my experience anything aside from the bino adapter by outdoorsman’s is highly over rated. The tripods are tough sure, but so are many many others.

I’ve had several Outdoorsmans heads after “upgrading” and while they’re ok, they’re certainly not worth the price. It’ll lock my 95 swaro (with puck and digiscoping set up but even with my 30mm swaros on it, you can’t set any tension. It’s either on or off. I bought it based on reviews a few years ago to replace my vanguard P-111. The vanguard was actually a much much better head aside from the shift when locking in place. So much better for pan and tilt control and smoothness over the outdoorsmans stuff. Also was about $80 with 2 plates.

For legs, I really like the slik or promaster carbon fiber. I have a slik 634 and Outdoorsmans regular pan head still. Planning to pick up a VA-5 soon

Block

WKR
Head is important, but so are the legs. For a pleasurable viewing experience you need to sacrifice some weight. Still trying to dial in my system...but what I’ve learned is that the va-5 on top of 2lb legs is too light for my kowa 774. I’m thinking something closer to 3 pounds will be better.

VA-5 + Outdoorsman Medium is hard to beat!

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
This is all great! I definitely appreciate all the input. I personally have never used an outdoorsmans tripod or head, just know the brand is well known for quality and hunter minded. I’ve read on other threads that some people don’t like he legs as much, but really liked the heads. I have the bino adapter and love it. That being said, after hearing from y’all and looking around, the VA-5 seems pretty good and at a great price. Thoughts on legs for it? I’ve seen it packaged with the T-024SK. Thoughts on experience with these legs or something that may work better. I’m not overly weight conscious, but definitely hunt a lot of backcountry.

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
VA-5 + Outdoorsman Medium is hard to beat!

Sounds like it would be a solid setup! Like being able to support a hunter minded company like outdoorsmans, and still save some money on a seemingly great head

Block

WKR
Sounds like it would be a solid setup! Like being able to support a hunter minded company like outdoorsmans, and still save some money on a seemingly great head

Yeah I LOVE their tripods. This Sirui blows the higher priced heads away tho.. I would really like to see a head to head comparison to their $699 fluid head...

Wassid82

WKR
I glass with Kowa 884 spotter and 15slc/10el binos. For day hunts I use a Slik 634 with the VA-5 head and couldn't be happier. For backpack trips I'll use either the Slik tripod or Vortex Summit tripod with the Outdoorsmans Pan or micro head just to save weight. The Va-5 head is amazingly smooth and handles the weight of big optics perfectly, to me way better than my outdoorsmans heads. I was a fan of the Benro S2 and it's good for the price but the VA-5 is better by a huge margin. If you are in Central Washington and want to test drive my setup before you buy just let me know(obviously when it's safe to do so).
I have this exact set up and I had your previous setup of the vortex tripod. I wouldn't trade my Sllik 634 carbon or the VA-5 head for anything else. I thought long and hard about the outdoorsman head and I went to the sheep show in Reno to test it out. Walked away from the outdoors man booth and immediately bought the tripod and va-5 head. Wont look back

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I LOVE their tripods. This Sirui blows the higher priced heads away tho.. I would really like to see a head to head comparison to their $699 fluid head...
Ya that would be interesting. $699 seems......like a bit much. But would definitely like to see some comparisons

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
I have this exact set up and I had your previous setup of the vortex tripod. I wouldn't trade my Sllik 634 carbon or the VA-5 head for anything else. I thought long and hard about the outdoorsman head and I went to the sheep show in Reno to test it out. Walked away from the outdoors man booth and immediately bought the tripod and va-5 head. Wont look back

Good info! Sure seems to be a lot of love for the VA-5 haha

You're in goods hands talking to Jeff & Joel at Cameraland. The head is important. I almost always glass sitting down so a SLIK Pro CF624 tripod was fine, Cameraland recommended the Monfrotto 410JR. Handles my Swaro BTX 95 great...even in wind. Love how easy it is to lock up and scan (up/down & side to side) using only the knobs.

FYI...with some tripods you will need this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746CXMRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MONFROTTO410JR.JPG

Last edited: