Tripod Setup?

This is all great! I definitely appreciate all the input. I personally have never used an outdoorsmans tripod or head, just know the brand is well known for quality and hunter minded. I’ve read on other threads that some people don’t like he legs as much, but really liked the heads. I have the bino adapter and love it. That being said, after hearing from y’all and looking around, the VA-5 seems pretty good and at a great price. Thoughts on legs for it? I’ve seen it packaged with the T-024SK. Thoughts on experience with these legs or something that may work better. I’m not overly weight conscious, but definitely hunt a lot of backcountry.

I have the aluminum version of that kit. Got a killer deal on it from cameraland basically the price of the head alone. I’m going to put a different ball head on it for backpacking and put the va5 on something sturdier...I did not like the stability and the aluminum ones are a few ounces heavier even.

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
You're in goods hands talking to Jeff & Joel at Cameraland. The head is important. I almost always glass sitting down so a SLIK Pro CF624 tripod was fine, Cameraland recommended the Monfrotto 410JR. Handles my Swaro BTX 95 great...even in wind. Love how easy it is to lock up and scan (up/down & side to side) using only the knobs.

FYI...with some tripods you will need this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746CXMRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 169089

Appreciate the link to those adapters!

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
I have the aluminum version of that kit. Got a killer deal on it from cameraland basically the price of the head alone. I’m going to put a different ball head on it for backpacking and put the va5 on something sturdier...I did not like the stability and the aluminum ones are a few ounces heavier even.

That’s kinda what I figured. With something like the VA-5 head being a head everyone is loving, but not breaking the bank, it frees you up to get a sturdier set of legs

tdot

WKR
I'll second the earlier comment that Outdoorsman Bino adapter is awesome. After that, there are too many better options at better prices.

I'm pretty happy with the Really Right Stuff BH-40, it has an integrated pan function. I've now sold all my Outdoorsman gear and replaced them with ball heads. Much happier with the overall optics package that I now have. I dont miss panheads.

If you are willing to sit down, alot of tripods work. If you prefer to stand, I'd error on the side of a heavier tripod if you do stand.

Slik 634 with the SVH 501 head. It’s my next purchase as soon as they start selling the head separate. The Sirui VA-5 seems to be extremely good as well.

Big Ern

WKR
Take a look at the Feisol 3342z. Carbon tripod and weighs 2.2 lbs with a 25lb weight rating. Also, tall enough to glass/shoot standing up.

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Thank y’all for all the input. I ended up settling on a pretty good deal for a VA-5 head on an outdoorsmans medium tripod. Appreciate everyone’s input and thoughts. Love messing around and comparing gear, so looking forward to getting some time behind it. Thanks all!

Btw Joel I’ll probably still be giving ya a call on some camera adapter questions soon

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of doing this exact setup. Or Slik SVH 501 but haven’t heard much on that head. How does your combo work with a larger spotting scope?
I’m really not sure on larger spotter, I’m running a Swarovski STS 65, and SLC 10-42 on it!

One rule of thumb...the bigger and heavier the glass, the more robust your tripod and head must be. Low center of gravity and balance is crucial. This can be done with light, carbon tripods.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking to upgrade my old super-light Manfrotto.
Talked to Joel a few minutes again yesterday and am now waiting for my deal.........

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This thread has been incredibly helpful - thanks to the OP and responders. I've got a Vortex Summit SS-P tripod, but I've yet to use it, and in the interim, I've upgraded my binos to the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42s (so I've got to decide on the Outdoorsman's post install - and shipping my babies off, vs. some strap adapter), and I'm expecting to eventually upgrade my spotting scope from a Vortex Diamondback to the Gavia, NF TS-80 or Vortex Razor HD 27 (as posted elsewhere on this forum). If anyone has any recommendations other than the consistent Slik and Sirui love above, please chime in!

Bugle2me

FNG
I use the sirui et-2204 legs. Light enough to pack, but yet sturdy enough to hold a heavy spotter. They also have flip style locks on the legs which I prefer over the twist.