tripod suggestions for THERMAL rig

Looking for suggestions on what tripods everybody is running on their thermal set-ups. Currently running a Manfrotto befree Live tripod w/ a manfrotto quick release plate on m-lok handguard. Looking for something thats more robust & sturdy

Smid

WKR
5750A125-DEC9-468D-8C46-AEEC57A19D82.jpeg

RRS leveling base and TFC-33 tripod. You don’t really need a tripod this expensive. It’s badass but not the best value by any means. I like USA products though. The leveling base has been night and day over the Desmond ball head I had. I have the Magpul arca plate which has held up really well

Samson7x

WKR
I've been using a Slik 700 for quite some time with no issues. You can spend as much as you want on a tripod but this one is sturdy and has taken a beating riding around in a SXS.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Duece, I've tried a few and suggest you take a look at the Night googles nightstalker PRO (very important to get the "pro"). I used one hard all last winter and it held up. I did replace the ball head it comes with with an RRS leveling base but think it would have been fine with the ball head. It's not the lightest but it is robust. Used mine to hunt coyotes with an 243 AR-10 and it worked well!

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Also agree the direct arca is way better/more stable than a saddle

- no affiliation whatsoever just found it worked for me after wasting money on others that didn't.

OP
SuperDUECE22
Hey Duece, I've tried a few and suggest you take a look at the Night googles nightstalker PRO (very important to get the "pro"). I used one hard all last winter and it held up. I did replace the ball head it comes with with an RRS leveling base but think it would have been fine with the ball head. It's not the lightest but it is robust. Used mine to hunt coyotes with an 243 AR-10 and it worked well!
I've actually been looking at these pretty hard. Beings you said "very important to get the pro" I'm guessing you have used the standard night stalker. What makes the "pro" version $300 better ?

Smid

WKR

The RT90C tripod on Amazon is pretty close if not the exact same thing. Tripod only is around $300. The head on the night stalker seems a little small, I’d personally prefer a little bigger especially with a large frame rifle. But I also know a guy that’s been beating on a $22 ballhead and it hasn’t fallen off yet

I agree with Smid. I’m going to grab an RT90C for this years predator hunting. $200 less than the NS pro can get you a decent head. Especially if the head on the pro needs changed out.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I've actually been looking at these pretty hard. Beings you said "very important to get the pro" I'm guessing you have used the standard night stalker. What makes the "pro" version $300 better ?
Yep the standard versions didn't last long for my buddy and I. One actually holds the caller now. The pro is much sturdier, larger diameter legs.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
The RT90C tripod on Amazon is pretty close if not the exact same thing. Tripod only is around $300. The head on the night stalker seems a little small, I’d personally prefer a little bigger especially with a large frame rifle. But I also know a guy that’s been beating on a $22 ballhead and it hasn’t fallen off yet
Wish I'd have known this back when I ordered mine. I don't doubt it's the same thing. Fwiw I wanna say the ball head is only like a $20-40 piece. I had asked them a price thinking I may recoup some funds when I upgraded to the RRS head.

No brainer to go with the RT90C. Night googles typically has a long wait time too.

dmc

FNG
I've got a 2 Vets No-name tripod with leofoto leveling base. I think arca is the way to go, but I still have a triclawps for guns that aren't arca compatible.

OP
SuperDUECE22
@WMDM @dirtytough @Smid searched amazon for RT90C and couldn't find any for around $300 only thing close that popped up for me was the RT85C for $329, you guys have a link for it ? Did see one on ebay for $319 w/out ball head, is there a decent ball head to use is $100 range ?

@WMDM @dirtytough @Smid searched amazon for RT90C and couldn't find any for around $300 only thing close that popped up for me was the RT85C for $329, you guys have a link for it ? Did see one on ebay for $319 w/out ball head, is there a decent ball head to use is $100 range ?

There is also an Arctise that is identical for the same price. The RT90c comes with a leveling base that a guy could try. I bet a little work and it would be smooth and usable for a season.

The cheaper head that is recommended a lot is the Desmond Dlow 55. I haven’t used it so I can’t say yay/nay.

Regards, Branden

Smid

WKR
Dirtytough beat me to the link.

I have used the Desmond dlow55 is a very nice ballhead for the price. I went to the RRS leveling base and much prefer over the ballhead though.
I will say a lever actuated arca clamp makes a world of difference on the Desmond. I had the RRS one but my buddy bought a no name eBay one and had great results with it. Locked down tight for $90 less

edit to add in, here’s the arca clamp https://www.ebay.com/itm/3135529019...2BRutE%2BHvP%2FcK%2B|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2332490

Last edited:
OP
SuperDUECE22
ended up buying the Innorel RT90C & the Desmond dloww-55mm ballhead and I absolutely love this setup compared to my old Manfrotto befree Live tripod. The new setup is built like a tank. Thanks @Smid & @dirtytough for the recommendation