Tripod vs Bipod vs Monopod

I am a hunter in New Mexico and want to be able to accurately shoot to 400-500 yards in rough terrain. A friend has a primos tripod shooting stick and looks easy to use, but Another friend seemed to be fiddling with it to make all 3 legs stable. Would it be better to get a bipod or monopod shooting stick so I don’t have to fiddle with 3 legs? Any downsides to bipod or monopods?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A bipod might be able to give stability, but nothing like a tripod. You are on the right track.

If you practice just a little bit with deploying a tripod, you won't have to fiddle. I can make shots to 800 and 900 with my tripod in some configurations and from the side of a rough mountain is one of my favorite.

Over in the long range hunting section, there are quite a few discussions. Here is my view on it. I would not buy the tripod shooting stick you mentioned, but either get the tripod you already have set up or pick up a new one better designed for it.

New Mexico and Arizona aren't any worse than Alaska was for this shot, but a tripod was as steady as prone.

Thread '#7 Tripods: the best accessory' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/7-tripods-the-best-accessory.211898/

Metzger

FNG
I have the primos tripod their v2 or v3 whatever the latest is. For me a 32yr old it is not stable enough for 5-6 standing It can be done just the hit percentage is down to much. I am better with a African shooting stick to 6 standing more if I put a bag on it. The other option is a pig saddle.

Manakh

FNG
For 400-500 yards there's multiple ways to do it, now beyond 500 is where things get much more tricky. (This is just my opinion and can vary from person to person depending on their opinion along with shooting skill)

For me out to about 300 yards I'm generally good sitting and kneeling with just a trigger shooting stick bipod and no other rest other then knees.
400-500 I need something under the stock of the rifle with the bipod trigger stick, to make a confident ethical clean shot. Again sitting or kneeling.
I have not attempted or practiced over 500 with the trigger stick bipod using anything in conjunction under the stock. Personally would want a tripod for this or a real hunting bipod attached to the gun like a hatch out west.

The trigger stick tripod would help a fair bit over the bipod but I still wouldn't shoot over 400 yards with it without something under the stock personally and 400 might be pushing it still

If you want to shoot standing up 400+ you need a way more solid tripod then a trigger stick (again my opinion)

And finally after your gun is sighted in AND you have a dope sheet, I personally almost never shoot from a bench anymore. I shoot actual hunting scenarios. Go put a target up and get on a hill side shoot down it, shoot up it, shoot across it. Shoot as if you're actually hunting! For me if I ever find myself in that long of a range locally on the west side of Wa state it's a logged clear cut so for example beyond the normal bipod and pack or bipod and sitting with elbows on knees I've practiced using a stump or a log under the front of my rifle stock with the trigger stick bipod or my pack actually under the stock to help steady it with the log. Just things like that, put yourself in real hunting scenarios, go from scanning with bino's to picking up your rifle and shooting.

Also very important (in my opinion) practice all these shooting scenarios cold bore, when you're hunting you haven't made multiple shots in a row and heated your barrel up. So make sure your rifle is dialed for that first shot not the 5th or 10th or whatever. Make sure every first shot was as it will be in a real scenario.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For 400-500 yards there's multiple ways to do it, now beyond 500 is where things get much more tricky. (This is just my opinion and can vary from person to person depending on their opinion along with shooting skill)

For me out to about 300 yards I'm generally good sitting and kneeling with just a trigger shooting stick bipod and no other rest other then knees.
400-500 I need something under the stock of the rifle with the bipod trigger stick, to make a confident ethical clean shot. Again sitting or kneeling.
I have not attempted or practiced over 500 with the trigger stick bipod using anything in conjunction under the stock. Personally would want a tripod for this or a real hunting bipod attached to the gun like a hatch out west.

The trigger stick tripod would help a fair bit over the bipod but I still wouldn't shoot over 400 yards with it without something under the stock personally and 400 might be pushing it still

If you want to shoot standing up 400+ you need a way more solid tripod then a trigger stick (again my opinion)

And finally after your gun is sighted in AND you have a dope sheet, I personally almost never shoot from a bench anymore. I shoot actual hunting scenarios. Go put a target up and get on a hill side shoot down it, shoot up it, shoot across it. Shoot as if you're actually hunting! For me if I ever find myself in that long of a range locally on the west side of Wa state it's a logged clear cut so for example beyond the normal bipod and pack or bipod and sitting with elbows on knees I've practiced using a stump or a log under the front of my rifle stock with the trigger stick bipod or my pack actually under the stock to help steady it with the log. Just things like that, put yourself in real hunting scenarios, go from scanning with bino's to picking up your rifle and shooting.

Also very important (in my opinion) practice all these shooting scenarios cold bore, when you're hunting you haven't made multiple shots in a row and heated your barrel up. So make sure your rifle is dialed for that first shot not the 5th or 10th or whatever. Make sure every first shot was as it will be in a real scenario.

I agree with all this, and will add an AMEN to the comments about practicing like you hunt.

OP
N
Thanks for the help! I’ll look into the long range hunting section to get some ideas. My goal is to practice a lot in real conditions (in addition to the range) so when hunting season starts, I’ll have experience in real shooting positions.