tripods set ups

I would be interested to know what type of set ups everyone is running including pan head, weight, and what they are supporting(65mm spotter,, ect) if possible.

Craig4791

WKR
Swarovski CT Travel tripod with Swaro DH 101 head both come in at 4lbs. I'm running a 80mm swaro HD scope.

A little more weight than some of the compact setups but I like to be able to stand and glass if I choose and this is a great setup.

jherald

WKR
Slik 624 CF tripod and Sirui G-10 ball head. The Sirui has a ultra smooth pan but the adjustment up or down can be finicky when you first use it. The rig is under 3 lbs with the tripod and head. It's been working well so far for the last 4 months and I've been playing this set-up in the winter weather here, -20*F to around 35*F.

It's supporting a Swaro 65, tines up ring and Canon A1300.

The slik 624 won't go high enough for you to stand upright but that is the trade-off for lighter weight, smaller tripod.

Slim Jim

WKR
I've got the vanguard alta233AO. It weighs 3.5lbs but its very sturdy with a smooth head and I can glass standing if I want. It will be topped with a vortex razor hd 65mm as soon as Paul at Elknut gets them in.

Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. Can't remember the model.
Outdoorsmans pan head.
20-60x80 swaro

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
NIce!

When did you get the ATX? I plan to have one for testing soon.

BB-
I've had it for a couple months, I've been super busy so haven't used it alot but its awesome. Like you, I've put my eyes though about every optic out there and I can say this is at the top of the list. I'm getting the big objective this summer and I feel I'll have the ultimate set up.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
slik sprint mini II w/minox MD50 scope. I took out the center post and added a stoney point "V" rest on a extra quick release plate for a shooting tripod. I think it weighs about 1.5# with the center post removed, has a ball head. I also have the slik pro ez (2.8#), which has a pretty decent pan head and would be better with a heavier spotter, but I never seem to want to pack the extra 1#.

I have no idea why using a tripod as a field shooting rest isnt more popular.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Velbon ultra maxi m tripod---2 pounds, outdoorsmans squeeze head, older bausch and lomb elite spotter---22 ounces.

Randy

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I forget the brand model of ballhead I put on my Velbon Maxi M tripod but the whole setup is less than 29 oz and still clamps down and locks my 85mm Zeiss easily so thats what I am running this year.

Last edited:
Swarovski ATX with 65 mm objective
Slik 634 tripod
Manfrotto 700cr2 head

Nice set up, I have same tripod and head, I modded my 634 taking off bottom leg extensions and neck extension to make as sitting height only like the 624 so runs a bit longer than the 24 packed up but likely lighter without the extra set of collars. I have two of those heads and several extra feet so I can plug and play optics between tripod and window mount.