Tripods

kabarNC

FNG
I'm new to this forum, my background is more precision rifle matches and long range steel shooting than hunting. A good tripod at these events are invaluable to glass and shoot off of.

I looked a bit (probably in the wrong section) for some info on here, on what I could take on a backcountry mule deer hunt, most likely backpacking, and didn't find a lot.

Is it popular to carry, in a scenario like stated above, a tripod that can pull double duty as a glassing/shooting platform, or is the weight penalty not worth it? I'm thinking of something down the lines of an RRS or Feisol setup with leveling base and arca-type adapters on spotter and rifle. Pros and cons?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Not worth it. Would venture to say most people on here that pack in and out would agree. If hunting somewhere where you will be riding a quad in or something, sure, why not, but if carrying everything on your back, more beneficial to not have that extra weight or put it towards something more vital. Also, shooting off tripod isn't that great of an option in the first place in the backcountry. Spot and stalk is usually across broken, uneven ground and at times your window is short. Tripod requires substantial set up time, getting it out, leveling it up, making sure correct head is on. Plenty of other better and faster options such as shooting prone, off pack, Javelin bipods, bracing against tree, buddies back, etc.

work765

WKR
Following this. I carry a tripod with me when hunting.

Curious to see what others have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wondered this as well becuse I have a tripod for binos and a bipod for shooting but I dont bring both packing in. My tripod for glassing is a Vortex high country that I feel would be both flimsy and cumbersome for setting up to shoot from - even if i found a convenient way to quickly transition from glassing to shooting mode.

OP
kabarNC

kabarNC

FNG
I've wondered this as well becuse I have a tripod for binos and a bipod for shooting but I dont bring both packing in. My tripod for glassing is a Vortex high country that I feel would be both flimsy and cumbersome for setting up to shoot from - even if i found a convenient way to quickly transition from glassing to shooting mode.

The difference in weight between your tripod and something like an RRS setup is 2.5 lbs, so it is a bit heavier. But it also allows you to take a standing shot out of waist high brush, can be used as rear support, and takes about 10 seconds to deploy.

I’ve been contemplating putting an arca-Swiss plate on my rifle so I can pop my binos/spotter off real quick and throw the rifle on the panhead.
This is what I do with my lightweight chassis rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HuntWyld

WKR
This is what I do with my lightweight chassis rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^ This wouldn’t be a bad setup. But to answer your question, yes a tripod is a valuable piece of equipment to have with you and a must for glassing vast landscapes. look at the carbon fiber models to save on weight from Slik, Promaster, Sirui, Gitzo, and Outdoorsman. This can be used to shoot off of but as stated above most of us shoot from a rifle attached bipod in prone, or from a pack, etc.

I have an RRS that I plan to take on my first pack hunt. I look at it this way.

I'm not taking a bipod so that's about a lb less on the rifle to offset some of the extra tripod weight. I have an arca swiss bedded into my stock.
It is also far more steady than any other tripod I've ever used.

To the comment of some shots are too quick for a tripod. I'm not going to argue that but if that case arises I would think I could easily make due with my pack, tree, etc at hand. Also using an arca swiss plate there is no need to switch heads for gassing or shooting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
I run the spartan tripod system and it's okay,definitely not be going hunting with out a tripod ever again.....talking to RRS they will be getting into the hunting market soon so that will be interesting

OP
kabarNC

kabarNC

FNG
I have an RRS that I plan to take on my first pack hunt. I look at it this way.

I'm not taking a bipod so that's about a lb less on the rifle to offset some of the extra tripod weight. I have an arca swiss bedded into my stock.
It is also far more steady than any other tripod I've ever used.

To the comment of some shots are too quick for a tripod. I'm not going to argue that but if that case arises I would think I could easily make due with my pack, tree, etc at hand. Also using an arca swiss plate there is no need to switch heads for gassing or shooting.

What model RRS tripod and head are you planning on hunting with? My mind is made up, im gonna go this route, just not up to speed on all those model numbers yet.

I use a series 3 with the anvil 30 head with apex conversion.

I could maybe see using a series 2 to save a little weight. I haven't personally shot off one though. I already had my series 3 before I got the pack hunting itch again.

Theres a 33 and 34. The difference being one has 3 and one has 4 sections. The 4 section packs up a little shorter. The apex deal is what makes a big difference. Let's the legs fold all the way up on each other if that makes sense.

ee8c8fe9fc56e412bd05c3a4685eadc7.jpg

cm12

FNG
I run the vortex high country tripod. It’s light and small. I have 3 adapter plates. 1 for the vortex bino adapter. 1 for my spotting scope and the other for a vanguard shooting yoke. I always have the bino adapter on the tripod because glassing with binos is always my first priority. In a glassing situation it’s quick and easy to switch to the spotter if need be. The ability to switch between 3 different pieces of equipment on the same tripod in a matter of seconds is very useful. As long as you are organized and know where everything is. It’s a system that works great for me.

HuntWyld

WKR
I run the vortex high country tripod. It’s light and small. I have 3 adapter plates. 1 for the vortex bino adapter. 1 for my spotting scope and the other for a vanguard shooting yoke. I always have the bino adapter on the tripod because glassing with binos is always my first priority. In a glassing situation it’s quick and easy to switch to the spotter if need be. The ability to switch between 3 different pieces of equipment on the same tripod in a matter of seconds is very useful. As long as you are organized and know where everything is. It’s a system that works great for me.

I ran that system for a bit when I first started glassing from a tripod, you could say it was my gateway drug. If you like that setup don’t ever try a high end carbon fiber tripod with a pan head

OP
kabarNC

kabarNC

FNG
After talking w/ Michael at RRS SOAR, I bit the bullet and ordered a RRS TFCT-24L w/Anvil 30 ball head. Buy once cry once, right? If i dont like it hunting, ill definitely be putting it to use at matches and range time. Thanks for all the input!

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mean to hijack this thread but this presents a very interesting development and is exactly what I have been waiting for.

I can't and won't spend $1K+ on a tripod, but have been wanting to up both my glassing and shooting game. Looking forward to finding out how much this head will be and fitting it to a lighter-weight carbon tripod in the $200-$300 range ala Feisol or Leofoto.

Does anyone with more experience have thoughts?