Tripods

I don't mean to hijack this thread but this presents a very interesting development and is exactly what I have been waiting for.

I can't and won't spend $1K+ on a tripod, but have been wanting to up both my glassing and shooting game. Looking forward to finding out how much this head will be and fitting it to a lighter-weight carbon tripod in the $200-$300 range ala Feisol or Leofoto.

Does anyone with more experience have thoughts?
Its completely understandable, it is a lot of money to spend.

I had a Feisol at one time and I cant recall the exact model but it was the equivalent of a series 2 or 3 RRS.
I think with the leveling base and a clamp it ran me around $600.

It wasn't bad but by no means was it as stable and the leveling base was no where near as smooth. It is definitely a viable option though for a tighter budget.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jake1455

FNG
I personally have carried a tripod many times, but for the amount that it’s been used I don’t see it as worth it in most cases. If you have the ability to do it go for it. The weight isn’t a huge deal for me but the clumsiness and pain it can be to pack around is what gets me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jake1455

FNG
That said, I do carry a very small tripod for my spotting scope if it’s along

skolberg

FNG
I don't use a tripod for shooting as I am a bow hunter but if you are looking for a very affordable option for a compact glassing tripod you cant go wrong with the summit ssp from Vortex. It compresses to about 10" and is very packable. I haven't upgraded the head and don't think I will in the future. for $125 you cant go wrong or beat it. works great for my binos and also my 65mm spotter

Shotshill

FNG
Ive used my monopod from primos with good success. Its lightweight, small in displacement; quick to deploy and steady.
My .02 of course.

Im not a millionaire either. I tried first with the Shadow tech tripod & the Pig Saddle. I was good for 100- 200 yards on coyotes. Any further, and I had missed. So.....After watching the PRS guys, I am going with a ARCA rail from Area 419 onto the bottom of my New Manners T4 stock. It's a Tikka T3x, and Im getting a Harris ARCA Clamp, Anvil 30 onto my Shadow Tech tripod. Out here in the flat plains of Illinois, the coyote can see you from a long ways off. I choose several years ago, (after hearing all of the deer hunters complain about seeing too many coyotes), to start hunting from a tripod. First it was stoney point shooting sticks, then the Bog-Pod. If I can start to pop them @ 400 yards, I will be good to go. Do I want to pay $350 for an anvil 30. No. Do I want what it can do?? Hell yes! I think this whole tripod thing is like what the smart phone started out back in the day. Once you see what all it can do, you will jump on board. It just takes time to get it all organized, practice time, etc..
I see this website called 2 vets selling an all carbon tripod for $400. If I had to do it all over again, I would give that a go. The sniprehide guys have a lot of experience with tripods. They seem to have endless funds tho, too! Some of the pics of their set ups look like some of them live in a palace!

I got to witness this shot. And at 936 yards ( which was as close as we could get presented the situation) with out that tripod we would of been eating tag soup. I’m a believer!

bradb

WKR
I used a RRS 34 and anvil on my recent sheep and moose hunt. Was a bit heavier but even the guides warmed up to it after seeing the versatility of the set up. From prone on the sheep, ready to shoot the moose standing and willows. End up shooting different moose sitting.DSC00291.JPGDSC00256.JPGDSC00144.JPGDSC00260.JPG

Big Ern

WKR
I run a feisol tripod with RRS universal leveling base. Had a 4” RRS dovetail mounted on my McMillan Game Scout Stock. Very stable and lightweight setup. If you are going to use a tripod then also get an arca rail installed. Well worth it. Hog saddles are heavier; tougher to get set up; and don’t lock in your weapon as well as the arca.

tdot

WKR
As a bit of closure to this thread, last week I killed my first mule deer. I used my new RRS tripod, and it was money well spent! Put 2rds thru the lungs at 936yds.

View attachment 128242

View attachment 128244

View attachment 128245

View attachment 128246
Nice work on the buck!

I'm considering the Anvil 30 head. But it will primarily be used for glassing. Shooting will be secondary. How did you like the Anvil for glassing with the bino's? Would you take a panhead over the Anvil of glassing was your primary use for it?

Thanks.

OP
kabarNC

kabarNC

FNG
Nice work on the buck!

I'm considering the Anvil 30 head. But it will primarily be used for glassing. Shooting will be secondary. How did you like the Anvil for glassing with the bino's? Would you take a panhead over the Anvil of glassing was your primary use for it?

Thanks.

Thank you!

You know, i have no real experience with a good pan head. If glassing with a 20-60x spotter was ALL i was doing, this head would probably get on my nerves, honestly. 10x binos on it work fine.

It's a bit finicky to get the up/down pan set; and then you still have to worry about the cant too.. i think next season im gonna fo this route-

Neewer Camera Panoramic Panning Base with Arca Swiss Style Plate, 3/8-inch Screw Aluminum Alloy Panorama Ball Tripod Head with Bubble Level for Tripod Monopod DSLR Cameras, Load Capacity 22 LBS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9KQZBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j6qgEb8D8ATAP

Mount this plate on the bottom of my spotter, which will clip into the locked Anvil30. That will give me a great pan, all i need to do then is loosen Anvil, move one scope-width up/down, lock it, and continue to pan with this plate.

In my opinion this is best of both worlds. If you are entertaining the thought of using it to shoot from, for the weight there's nothing better to shoot from than the Anvil 30. I've hit 10" plates at 500yds while standing behind it, and I'm not that great of shot.

skierhs

WKR
Nice work on the buck!

Thanks.
I used the anvil for the last year glassing and didn’t have any issues with after the first 10 minutes. I’m coming from a traditional suiri ball head though. If you have the ball tightness arm facing away from you and open it up slightly I found it still offers great control and locks up easily when needed. I ran the 95mm ATX, 15x SLC, and a pair of 10x chest binos off the tripod. Once you get the hand of it you’ll really love the ball head. I never felt there was any issue with using the avill over a pan head.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I run a feisol tripod with RRS universal leveling base. Had a 4” RRS dovetail mounted on my McMillan Game Scout Stock. Very stable and lightweight setup. If you are going to use a tripod then also get an arca rail installed. Well worth it. Hog saddles are heavier; tougher to get set up; and don’t lock in your weapon as well as the arca.
I have the same tripod and love it. Not as stable as a larger heavier tripod but much better for pacing and far superior to light weight cheap tripods. Easy and fast to setup if you have practice.30221EC1-1562-4970-8338-E1C367E2A2E1.jpeg
B1B9A84C-0674-4B49-9768-6E007A7319C7.jpeg
Extremely helpful in building a stable position on uneven terrain!

Go Hunt did a video throwing the off a building the Sirui was impressive. Got a Slik 634 and so goid so far.