Trophy documentary

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I just watched this interview with the filmmakers of the Trophy documentary that was on CNN the other night. I think the interview is better than the documentary and is definitely worth the 22 minutes to watch. It sounds like after seeing things on the ground these 2 anti-hunters actually changed their minds.

A Conversation with the Directors of Trophy - YouTube

I hope this interview gets out and a lot of the fence sitters see it, because these 2 filmmakers make a better argument for hunting than most hunters do.

sveltri

WKR
I watched the interview, at a minimum I was impressed with the filmmakers open mindedness and willingness to tell and accept the truth they were uncovering.

I watched it and the interview. I think both are very good. Spends a little time on the far edges of the topic showing militant vegan anti hunters and drunk rednecks doing canned hunts basically shooting fish in a barrel. However, most of the time is focused on people in the middle who are actually involved deeply in the issue. A fairly conscientious goat farmer and hunter that is going after the big 5 because he hunts a lot and thinks this is a pinnacle of hunting. You find out that his dad pushed him pretty hard in hunting and this is part of fulfilling that vision. An anti poaching wildlife agent that is part funded by the hunting fees. The rhino farmer that says I have 1500 rhinos now and I can’t sell the horn I harvest sustainably. If I can sell it I can build my operation to 10k rhinos in a decade. If I can’t, then I have to quit and they will all be killed by poachers. I think it was very balanced but ultimately did a good job illustrating that the “if it pays it stays” ethos is critical to preserving these animals in the long term and without an economic value these animals will be killed either as a nuisance or by poachers. It gave a good contrast of the 1st world protester that thinks none of these animals should be killed ever and the family on the ground in Africa that got all their goats killed by a lion and now sleeps with their cow in their living room. Also how the Africans only problem with shooting the elephant that are their corn field was that it was small and didn’t have. A lot of meat.

Overall, I think it did a good job of showing a lot of angles and frankly of portraying the value of hunting in the conservation effort.

There is a documentary by Louis Theroux that is Good as well Call African hunting holiday. Might still be on Netflix. Worth a look.

Final thought: near me there were some coyotes near LaGuardia airport in NY that people were up in arms about saving a week ago. Activists scramble to save last orphaned coyote | New York Post

Then a coyote jacked a family dog a few miles up the road in Connecticut. Family dog is dragged into woods, killed by coyote | New York Post

I wonder how those animal rights folks are going to evolve when coyotes eat a few more pets around here.