Trophy Elk Hunt Where to Go?

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
Who/where would you recommend for Boone&Crocket Elk. I'm looking for a big one with a rifle. Fair chase and ethical hunt only.

Looking to plan a hunt for 2023.

Edit (I originally post 2022 but I am looking for a 2023 Hunt)

Last edited:
With that goal.... only 1 year out, you’re talking private land with landowner license. Or maybe a reservation in Arizona. Even then the words “Boone and Crockett” and “fair chase” in the same sentence is a SUPER lofty goal.

What’s your budget?

I hear the Jicarilla and the Mescalero have some trophy’s as well. Once you get above 330, you pay by the inch.

For that goal check the various Indian Res hunts or landowner tags. With that goal it is going to cost you between $ 15K to $ 25K . Landowner route will cost you $ 10-15K for the tag and $ 5-8K for outfitter depending on who you choose. At those prices I would not attempt to cheap out on the outfitter or go DIY.

The private ranch options can be 100 % Fair chase , Semi Fair chase with fences but 10K acres or not fair chase at all with 3K acres which is nothing for elk. You are going to pay by the inch at these places which is strange hunting......

I personally think you are missing out on the concept of Elk hunting by saying your goal is B & C Elk. If you have never shot a mature Bull Elk anything over 300 inches will give you goose bumps if you are alive. Too many people focus on the 350 number and don't realize how few they are in the "wild". You see them everywhere on game ranches but that is not real Elk hunting. Even the Reservations are not real elk hunting.

If that is what you seek. The places listed is where you will find it. Good luck.

tdhanses

WKR
For that goal check the various Indian Res hunts or landowner tags. With that goal it is going to cost you between $ 15K to $ 25K . Landowner route will cost you $ 10-15K for the tag and $ 5-8K for outfitter depending on who you choose. At those prices I would not attempt to cheap out on the outfitter or go DIY.

The private ranch options can be 100 % Fair chase , Semi Fair chase with fences but 10K acres or not fair chase at all with 3K acres which is nothing for elk. You are going to pay by the inch at these places which is strange hunting......

I personally think you are missing out on the concept of Elk hunting by saying your goal is B & C Elk. If you have never shot a mature Bull Elk anything over 300 inches will give you goose bumps if you are alive. Too many people focus on the 350 number and don't realize how few they are in the "wild". You see them everywhere on game ranches but that is not real Elk hunting. Even the Reservations are not real elk hunting.

If that is what you seek. The places listed is where you will find it. Good luck.
Haha, 270 bulls give me goose bumps,ok really all elk do.

tdhanses

WKR
Who/where would you recommend for Boone&Crocket Elk. I'm looking for a big one with a rifle. Fair chase and ethical hunt only.

Looking to plan a hunt for 2022.
If money doesn’t matter you’ll find a place but it’ll cost you.

BuzzH

WKR
Maybe guided hunt with a NV landowner tag...but still far from a sure thing.

Finding a true 375 net B&C elk is no easy deal fair chase. Then of course finding one and getting it killed aren't always one in the same either.

OP
F

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
I understand it is not a sure thing but at least want to be in the area of the big boys.

No Fences.

Not looking to pay for inches.

I want to hunt hard and what you see is what you get (if you see something).

Just looking for names of outfitters, Game units or landowners to get started with.

Budget $20,000.

I've done DIY public land for the last 25 years.

Laramie

WKR
Utah guaranteed tag hunts would fit your budget. There are several places offering guaranteed tags on big ranches with big bulls.

Your budget of 20k almost gets you to some commissioner tags in Wyoming. May want to consider those as well.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Look into Vermejo Park Ranch in Northern NM. 600k acres of property. Last I checked the bull hunts were ~18k.

JP100

WKR
I understand it is not a sure thing but at least want to be in the area of the big boys.

No Fences.

Not looking to pay for inches.

I want to hunt hard and what you see is what you get (if you see something).

Just looking for names of outfitters, Game units or landowners to get started with.

Budget $20,000.

I've done DIY public land for the last 25 years.
This ticks all the boxes, but you have a flight to deal with haha.

We hunted here for Ibex and the Elk/Maral hunting opportunities are very very good. Large bulls, low hunting pressure, good camps and real legit mountain hunting.

A little bit different to the other options, but in my view its a better value and better hunt experience than most of the big elk in the US