Trophy Rock

Yukondog

WKR
I know there are a ton of things on the market for whitetail. My buddy has used several on his property and can't really see any results. I read an article last week about Trophy Rock and it caught my attention. Naturally mined with a bunch of minerals. I've talked to a guy who swears by it, but he is now selling it as well. He said the deer lick these rocks to a smooth finish and love them. Every one he has out is well used.

So, what do y'all think about the Trophy Rock? Is it worth the $18 to put them out? The company states some very high claims as to the effectiveness of the rocks.

Thanks,

Matt

Curtis C

WKR
I dont know about wildlife but we use a similar rock(Redmond Rock) lick for our horses. I'd be willing bet a few drinks it is the same thing. Our horses must like it since they go through it fairly quick. They are doing better health wise but we changed a few other things about the same time so I cant say its because of the rock.

C

EDIT for correction; everywhere I wrote "OUR" is to be replaced with "MY WIFES";)

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I use them and the deer love them. I have hundreds of pics of them licking them. I don't know if it makes any real difference in the deers health but I don't think they hurt any and could make for bigger horns:) I have cameras on all of mine and they don't like some of them. If they don't use one I get a new one and just leave the old one on a trail , just in case they change their minds. I have no idea why they don't like some of them , all the same brand.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
I compared the two, Redmond and Trophy, and they have the same minerals. The Redmond site lists the amount of minerals found but I can't find the amounts found in the Trophy Rock on their site. Will keep looking.

Called Murdochs and they sell the Redmond rock - 7lb for $12. I believe I can get the trophy rock for $18 and it is a 12lb rock or so.

Weird that some rocks are used and some are not. If they are the same thing you would think they all would be used.

Shrek

WKR
I don't have a clue as to why they don't like some of them. When you look in the bin look for flat rocks. They seem to like them the best. Agai I haven't a clue as to why.

jmez

WKR
The rocks aren't really anything special. The deer are after the salt. You can buy bagged trace mineralized salt for about $4 for 50lbs at most farm stores. Same thing, just spread it out on the ground.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
I use one, put it out about mid to late summer shoot a deer or two over it every year i've also used stock salt and stock mineral(salt works better) dont think the lick brings them in on a string as much as it just habituates them to come by my stand

dotman

WKR
I put one out and can't tell if it has increased activity or not, pretty much have just as many deer on camera now as I did prior to putting it out.