Trophy Room Wall Backing?

204guy

WKR
Finishing off my basement and there's a couple walls that I want to put backing on that I know will have mounts on them. Heavier mounts, elk, full body goat, possibly moose someday. What to use? 5/8 or 3/4? CDX or OSB. Only about 8 sheets so price difference not a huge deal. TIA.

Takem

WKR
If you have a good idea of the height of the mounts you can put a row or two of 2 x 12 flat blocking in between the studs. If it's not taking away from insulation space. 3/4" CDX would be my choice for over the studs. No OSB.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm putting 3/4" on a wall in my addition I'm currently building. Remember to move your electrical boxes out ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
I have a friend who has one hell of a trophy room. He actually built his home around it... its all 3/4" plywood behind the drywall. He has lots of heavy animals hanging there...He built a really large double door in the back so he could get big mounts in the room.

For large heavy mounts (moose, elk) use L headed lag screws into studs or 2 x 12 (or 8 or 10) blocking between studs as noted above. I wouldn't trust screwing them into 3/4" plywood. We built a place last year and used blocking in some areas. A stud finder is your best friend when you go to hang heads.

Last edited:
I use a stud finder religiously with long screws going at least 2" into the 2X4.

MY moose antlers are secured with a lag bolt. They are heavy.

weaver

WKR
Seems like a lot of waste to completely cover a wall with plywood. Id go with blocking between studs.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
204guy

204guy

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. After thinking about it more I'll just go 3/4 cdx as it's really not much more $. I thought about blocking but putting blocking in wood studs is a pia, plus I want to be able to mount something anywhere on the wall. IE the goat might only be 2' off the floor while the elk will be as high as I can practically mount them.

Check on the electrical boxes Brock.

Some 2X4s in the places you intend to hang heavy mounts will resolve any concerns cheap. Just decide what goes where first.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Have a house getting painted now that I put 3/4" cdx on the walls for the owners mounts, plenty of backing, but you can also measure and write down your stud layout, should be 16" o.c, deduct for sheetrock, and you can hit centers, without messing with a stud finder, to hang real big stuff. Good reminder on holding your switch/plug boxes out.
Mike

I've got a Stanley that works as well as a no-name brand from a garage sale that does the job too. Simple to use.