Trophy Taker Smackdown or Ripcord??

I'm in the market for a new drop away arrow rest and have narrowed the search down to two. The Smackdown has been recommended as the cord attaches to the limb. However, the Ripcord was recommended as well. I like the Smackdown due to the full containment of the arrow, however, an arrow would seem to fall of the rest easily when drawn back if the bow would be tilted at all. My current drop away is a QAD and am looking to upgrade.

Anyone who uses either rest, what are your likes and/or dislikes with the rest?

Thanks

OR Archer

WKR
I like both rests. I prefer the Trophy Taker. Much more simple design and built very well.

Manosteel

WKR
Trophy taker is also my preference. I have never had an arrow fall off at full draw at uphill or downhill shots. even when practicing awkward angle shots to see how much I can bend in different positions and still draw and shot quietly and accurately, my arrow stated put. My only complaint is when fine tuning, it's a pain havering to lossen the down pull cord to make the necessary adjuments.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I have shot both and liked both but now using the Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro and don't see myself switching to anything else anytime soon. From what I understand of the designs of the two is the SmackDown HAS to go down, due to the design where the Ripcord has more things that can fail. I had my 1st gen Ripcord fail on me multiple times (where the arm fails to go down at the shot)

weaver

WKR
TT Smackdown Pro .. used a Qad which is similar to a Ripcord fora a couple years and i like the Trophy Taker much better

They are both good. The Ripcord is improved, now that it has a limb driven model. Just a thought to put in your ear: have you considered a Hamskea Versa Rest? They now have a new containment ring and are the must durable and versatile rest on the market. You can't go wrong with any of your choices, I just thought I would mention that one as well. The are made here in Colorado, and lots of western guys are using them and loving them.

vcb

WKR
I have the tt smack down on my new bow. Does what is supposed too with no fletching contact etc...I was kinda bios....I had a tt on my old guardian from 07 and it worked perfect from the day I got it.....they seem pretty bulletproof IMHO.

OP
MTbowhunter36
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't heard of the Hamskea Versa Rest, but will research that one as well.

Both of these two rests are from companies that are in Montana, which I'd like to support.

CW_12

FNG
Just another option to think about is the Ultra. I have had great luck with this rest. I have had some minor issues with the Rip Cord dropping correctly. I think the newer Rip Cord have really improved.

I am not sure how long some of you have actually been shooting either rest, but I have had the Ripcord on two seperate bows over the past 3 years and it has never failed.... ever. The TT Smackdown is also a good rest, had that one on another bow for a year, liked it too, but not as much as the Ripcord.

With that, the Hamskea full containment will be on my bow very soon, I can't wait to try that one out! So don't count that out, give it a try.

J-Daddy

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't heard of the Hamskea Versa Rest, but will research that one as well.

Both of these two rests are from companies that are in Montana, which I'd like to support.

Just remember, because a company is based in MT doesn't mean they are made there... I've shot both brands a lot over the years, always had good luck with both but the TT is a little more fool proof... And check out the Hamskea, IMHO they are the best on the market.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I had a QAD. Then I went with the Ripcord as an "upgrade". The Ripcord worked fine, but I had multiple issues with quality. The darn thing fell apart twice, loose screws internal and external. The football cable attachment failed. The last straw was when the cable sheared off inside the rest! Total pain to take apart and install a new cable.
So I just recently installed a Trophy Taker Smackdown FC Extreme Pro (Did I get all the components of the name correct?)

Now Im really wishing I had gone with the Hamskea!
I guess the grass is always greener.

Anyone want to buy a Smackdown?

I was shooting a rip cord for a little while. My major complaint is you lose containment on a let down with the Rip cord. I shoot a NAP carbon Apache similar style to the TT Smackdown

I think the QUD ultra is a damn fine rest. IMHO the rip cord is a downgrade from the QUD ultra

Been using a ripcord that's served into my down cable for two years here and have had no issues. But it's my first drop a way but it's been rock solid. I did blue locktight the containment arm screws as they loosened up on me but that's been it.

Mike

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda depends on you style of hunting. I actually use ripcord but I also do some stalking by crawling on my belly drawing the bow while down and rotating it up ready to shoot . Most the time the smackdown allowed the arrow down but once in a while it would hang up on the side by the pad that was the deal breaker for me I didn't want to have to check that every time with a monster buck in front of me. Other than that no complaints

I am using the Ripocord SOS this year and so far its been great. A couple small changes I would like to make but overall its pretty solid. I am not a huge fan of the zero blade angle on the TT's. In my opinion it can create tuning issues.

mtbshark

WKR
I Have been using the ripcord SOS for a few months now and really like it. It is way quieter than the code red, due to the limb cable stopping it from hitting the shelf.

If you do go with the standard code red then i would strongly suggest that you dont use the football and serve the cord thru the down cable.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I have been struggling for about a month to get my Spyder Turbo tuned after installing the Trophy Taker FC Extreme Smackdown Pro. I should have known right away this rest was junk based on how many words are in the name!
Anyway, I could not get the bow to perform to the level I knew possible. After eliminating all other possible issues, I determined the rest must be the problem, although I could find no hard evidence of contact or any other indicators. So I put the Ripcord Code Red back on, and within a few hours had the bow giving perfect paper tears!. I then went to fine tuning using the "Kitchen Sink" method and I am grouping less than 1" diameter at 20 yds. I skewered a vane with a bareshaft at 20 yds as well! i cant wiat to get outside and shoot some longer distance. The wind has been terrible here the past few days.

Im getting 268fps with a 525gr FMJ, 70#, 28 7/8" draw. Im also seeing 307fps with a 394gr Axis.

I really regret purchasing the TT.