Trouble getting Hoyt to tune...

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I have researched the heck out of this and have settled on using Brendan’s thread from last year as my go to resource. (Thank you Brendan. That’s been a great resource.) I will admit upfront that this is my first go around on setting up and tuning a bow myself and don’t claim to known much about tuning aside from what I’ve read ( I try to stick with the reputable sources of info here on Rokslide, or the stuff from Dudley or Mendoza) .... but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of a left tare.

I picked a brand new 2017 carbon defiant turbo on clearance a couple weeks ago (70#, #3 cam I’m in the A Slot). Maxed out the limbs, put it on the draw board and it came in at 68 #. Did some research, and put 5 twists in buss and control cables ( thanks ORarcher, for your post in another thread) and am now maxed at 72.5# and ata and bh are within tolerances. Installed the Hamskea pro hunter micro following ORarchers thread for set up. Synced cams, and resting cam lean set with arrow intersecting string at the nocking point. .

Rest was set with arrow going dead nuts through the Berger hole, nock height set perfectly level, and center shot at 13/16”. (Arrows are BE rampage 300’s .001, 28.25 carbon to carbon. 56 gr as halfout, with 150 gr tip.) First shot: wicked left tare. Put 2 twist in left yoke and two out of right. Shot again, still left. Anyways, I continued with the yoke tuning and shooting until my resting cam lean had an arrow intersecting at my peep (about as far as I was comfortable going without derailing my string.) and stil had a good left tare. (I’m guessing that I probably needed another full twist in the left and one out of the right to be close).

I then took the yokes back to square one, moved my center shot in to 3/4” and repeated. Once again, I got to the point I wasn’t comfortable putting any more resting lean in the top cam and still had a left tare.... anyways I’ve repeated this process time and again, adjusting the center shot and yoke tuning as far as I’m comfortable. (Heck, I even tried setting my center shot within the full range of hoyts recommendations from 5/8 to 1” and still cannot get rid of that dang left tare.)

During this process I thought maybe there was some fletching contact that I couldn’t see. Went to bare shaft, and still no luck with getting rid of the left tare.

So... does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next?? I’m 2 hours from a pro shop, and would probably have to drive 4 hours to a shop for this kind of issue. ( Hoping not, but I may just have to suck it up and make the drive.)

Thank you!

Shoot a 100 grn tip or something lighter you will find out if that heavy insert and 150grn up front is causing you to be under spined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
N

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
BE rampage .001, 300 spine cut at 28.25 carbon to carbon. 56 gr ss half out. 150 gr field tip.

2blade

WKR
running this setup thru Archers Advantage, 28" draw? a 125gr head should work. bow might like the 100gr head better tho but only tuning will tell. imo

Brendan

WKR
Just for reference - my resting cam lean has an arrow going down the left side of the top cam, intersecting the string right around my peep. Pretty sure that's normal although I haven't messed with the tune on that bow since that thread last year... Can't remember where that puts cam lean at full draw.

Pretty sure we're in the same A slot of the cam, same arrow spine, but you are running a longer arrow than me, close to the same draw weight (maybe a little more) and about 30 grains more weight up front so the suggestions above of trying a lighter tip weight (or backing off the poundage) to test are good ones as it could be a spine issue.

OR Archer

WKR
One thing I’ve found also with the Defiant series is in the grip adding a little more pressure toward the thumb pad. Tends to clean up a lot of left tear issues.
I’d also drop the point weight down to 100gr. You’re a bit weak with that much weight up front in my opinion.

OP
N

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
10-4 thanks for all the suggestions! I will lighten it up on the front and see what happens. That will probably do the trick. For some reason I had myself convinced that the shaft would be stiff enough after running a couple over the chrono.. (When you’re plugging in shaft length in to AA, do you enter the carbon to carbon length, or carbon to end of insert?)
OR Archer: great to know about the grip on the defiants. I’ll definitely remember that.
Brendan: thanks for mentioning your top cam lean. That’ll help for sure.

Thanks again guys. I sure appreciate it!

When I had that bow it was very sensitive to my grip. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

jmez

WKR
Know any good shooters close to you? Have one of them come shoot it and see if they get the same result. Most all the time when you get a consistent result that you can't get rid of changing the bow it is the archer.

2blade

WKR
(When you’re plugging in shaft length in to AA, do you enter the carbon to carbon length, or carbon to end of insert?)

I use carbon to carbon, that 1/4" doesn't make that big a difference because the green zone is pretty big. AA's not perfect but get close to the middle and you can usually tune it up just fine.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are under spines by a lot. 206 grains up fronts breaks that 300 down quickly. When you try multiple things and the result doesn't change, it is generally means your spine is off or your grip is the issue.

D*Train

FNG
Alright I was having a very similar problem. I have a 2017 carbon defiant 30 set @69#s. My dl is 29 inches and my Easton match grade axis 300 spine arrows are cut to 29 inches. I have a 50 grain brass insert up front with a 100 grain field point. On the back end I have a vinyl wrap with 4 AAE max stealth vanes and a lumenok. My total arrow is around 530 grains.
I was getting the dreaded left tear and tried alot of things to get rid of it. I tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. The only way I got rid of it was to set my cam timing, set center shot at 3/4" I think, ATA and brace height are dead on. THEN MOST IMPORTANT of all I yoke tuned( added twists to left and took out of right side) until when I held a bare shaft arrow on the left side of the top cam, the field point intersected the string right at my peep sight just like brendan mentions above!!! I don't have alot of experience tuning so this seemed like too much but it is the solution!! My buddy have a pro defiant 34 and was also having this issue until he set his cam lean up like that as well. I'm not sure why Hoyt would released a top end bow that needs that much cam lean to tune but that's the only thing that worked for me. I tried everything else besides shining my cams to the left .... Anyways hope that helps @Neverenoughhntn and thanks @Brendan

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk