Troubles

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Okay guys. I have been looking for a light weight rifle for high country hunts. I was going to get a Tikka t3 lite in .338 but my gunsmith told me Tikka isn't making the .338 for U.S. markets right now. So my gunsmith is trying to talk me into CZ rifles, but I'm not sure. I wanted synthetic so it doesnt get beat up in the woods and I dont want to totally break the bank on a rifle. I am open to suggestions and would prefer a .338

What do you need the 338 the 300 win mag should be more than fine for around washington. I have the 300 wsm t3 lite and have no complaints except for it kicks pretty good using 168 and up bullets. Im running a nikon monarch because it has good eye relief, the busnell scope checked some people, and am very happy running 150 gr bullets its a good balance of recoil and performance. Also buy a limbsaver recoil pad with the gun, dont even bother shooting it with the stock recoil pad on.

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Whu not habe a 338? Already have a 300 win mag anways... Plus you can't have enough guns anyways!

I just consider the 338 bore to start with a minimum of 225 gr bullets and in a t3 lite without a muzzlebreak it will not be pleasurable to shoot. I would built the 338 on a heavier platform and the 300 or smaller on the lighter t3 but thats just me. Im sure you will enjoy it. It will be a hammer and powerful light rifle thats for sure.

Well a 243 wouldnt be adequate for elk or bear but I get what you are saying. I have a t3 lite and cant imagine shooting it in a 338 winmag and it being enjoyable. I shoot my rifle more than just to sight it in before hunting season so it is impotant to me to enjoy shooting the gun. But there is no argument against wanting a bunch of guns. If looking for a light possibly packing rifle with a lot of power the 338 in t3 lite would be hard to top for value and performance, just dont expect to enjoy shooting it. I stepped down my t3 lite in 300 wsm to 150 gr bullets to make it more enjoyable to shot. In this weight of bullet I would have been better of getting a 270 wsm but I didnt consider that when I bought it. So I was just trying to match the gun to expected use. In the 100-130 grain bullet I like the 6.5 diameter in the the 130-160 I like the .270 or 7mm, in 168-208 gr .308 and if you want 225+ gr I look at 338. So nothing against buying a tikka t3 lite in 338 it has a purpose was just trying to be informative. I think too many people by more gun than they need and put up with more recoil than they enjoy. Im sure you will enjoy your t3 i like mine.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 25

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just food for thought, the 338 Win Mag is a kicker no matter the rifle, in fact it usually "jolts" most shooters more than a 375 H&H and certanly true in my experience. I had a 300 Win Mag and my buddy had 338 win mag both in Tikka T3. We shot them both and we both agreed that the 338 was a bit "rough" shootin' and we both are pretty recoil tolerant. I have a 338 Win Mag myself but its my knock around ATV/Boat based gun as it weighs in at 9 lbs and that makes it mangagble recoil wise. A 7 pound 338 Win Mag is a kicker for sure. Of course I have a 325 WSM that weighs in at 5.75 pounds ready to hunt so who am I to talk. I just don't think a 338 Win Mag is a great platform for a lightweight backpacking gun IMO.

JG358

WKR
Well a 243 wouldnt be adequate for elk or bear but I get what you are saying. I have a t3 lite and cant imagine shooting it in a 338 winmag and it being enjoyable. I shoot my rifle more than just to sight it in before hunting season so it is impotant to me to enjoy shooting the gun. But there is no argument against wanting a bunch of guns. If looking for a light possibly packing rifle with a lot of power the 338 in t3 lite would be hard to top for value and performance, just dont expect to enjoy shooting it. I stepped down my t3 lite in 300 wsm to 150 gr bullets to make it more enjoyable to shot. In this weight of bullet I would have been better of getting a 270 wsm but I didnt consider that when I bought it. So I was just trying to match the gun to expected use. In the 100-130 grain bullet I like the 6.5 diameter in the the 130-160 I like the .270 or 7mm, in 168-208 gr .308 and if you want 225+ gr I look at 338. So nothing against buying a tikka t3 lite in 338 it has a purpose was just trying to be informative. I think too many people by more gun than they need and put up with more recoil than they enjoy. Im sure you will enjoy your t3 i like mine.

Not to be argumentive but many a elk have fallen to 243win and 6mm Rem. Not an ideal round for the task IMO but it will get the job done if you do your part.

I'll agree that many buy more gun than they need and put up with more recoil than they enjoy. I'm guilty of that myself. Their isnt a critter in North America that couldnt be put down by my 6.5 but I still have numerous rifles to include a 358STA. Its a punishing round but its still fun to shoot.

JG358

WKR
Just food for thought, the 338 Win Mag is a kicker no matter the rifle, in fact it usually "jolts" most shooters more than a 375 H&H and certanly true in my experience.

I think most out the there would agree with you Luke. To me the 338 is has a pretty sharp recoil while the 375 has more of a push.

TwoTikkas

WKR
001-2.jpg

.338 T3 (Clubber) field ready. I'm planning to flute the bolt and drop down to a VXIII 6X Leupy to shave off a little more weight. Recoil is stiff,but not insurmountable.
101_0034.jpg

M700 300 Ultra mag (Cruncher) in a B&C Medalist. A solid 2 lbs heavier than the .338. With full house 200gr AccuBonds she kicks like 2 sons a bitches. Heavier to carry too. It's a trade off. Better long range capabilities or light weight. I'll vote for the light weight. Cruncher isn't any more a daily shooter than Clubber. You can practice good marksmanship skills with your favorite 25/06 or something,then check in with the heavy metal occasionaly to keep your hand in it. I for one can't justify too much practice with Cruncher and her 80 to 100gr powder charges,or Clubber with her bullet prices. On the other hand,if anyone doesn't think I can perform accurately in the field I alway offer up a little challenge. Take your favorite hat out to 400 or so yards and hang it in a tree. I only get one shot. Good clean fun right there.

hunting1

WKR
I had a Ruger MK II around 9.5 lbs all dressed up and was not too bad. I could not imagine it in a light-weight rig! I loved the power it gave and with a 210-NP and H4350 it seemed to hit like ligtning! These days my Rem Ti in 30-06 does everything I need, but I get the urgeto get another 338 so I understand you!

TwoTikkas

WKR
A Ti in 30/06 would be a sweet deal. The 30/06 is one of my favorite rounds. I've owned 4 of them in the past and will have another in the future.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For me the caliber to have in a Tikka T3 is the 300 WM. There isn't much you can do to lighten up a Tikka (no lighter after market stocks and what not). But you can have a honest 7 pounds all up rifle if you pick your scope/rings carefully.