TROUBLESHOOT Savage 10/110 misfire issue

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I've got a Savage model 10/110 on a HS Precison stock, I'm running the original Savage bolt and action, I've got a Timney adjustable trigger in it(set to 3lbs), and I'm running a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel which is 26'' 1:8.44 twist. Last Friday I took the day off and went out to really dial the new rifle in and was very disappointed when I got out to the range and my rifle had 6 misfires!!!! I'm running the Hornady Precision Hunter 162gr bullets and I also had another box of Remington Core Lok bullets on hand as well. I tried both bullets and got the same result, sometimes the rifle would fire and most of the times it would misfire. It would leave a dimple in the center of the bullet when it misfired just like it would when the gun would fire, moral of the story is I'm not a gun guru so I figured someone on here would be able to help me out as far as diagnosing the problem at hand! I'd like to thank anyone now who takes time to chime in on this topic, much appreciated!

Are these reloads? I say spring first then check primers if they are reloads. Might have bad batch of primers. Put a factory box through it to check.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Are these reloads? I say spring first then check primers if they are reloads. Might have bad batch of primers. Put a factory box through it to check.

Unfortunately I haven't got into reloading yet so all of which I was shooting was factory. I had my bolt taken apart for cerakote, think they may have forgot to put something in by chance or didnt tighten something down enough???

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Have you fired rounds from the gun previously since the new barrel was installed?

Yes, shoots like a dream. Weird thing is that when I sited it in at 100yds it didn't misfire not once, but then I take it back out to a longer range two weeks later and it misfired 6 times? I havent dropped the gun or any of that jazz since I sited it in either.

JFK

WKR
I have a newer savage 110 and had this same issue popped up last year with mine. Dirty firing pin and spring was to blame. Some replace the spring with a slightly heavier after market model but I'd give it a good cleaning, followed by a very light lube and see if that helps.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Was this a proven action before you sent it out for coating?

Check that the big hex head screw on the back of the bolt(BAS) is tight. If that's good to go check your firing pin protrusion. Savage Shooters - Firing Pin Protrusion Data.

Yes it was proven and working just fine on my previous rifle I it on. I did notice that my bolt handle wiggles around ever since I got my rifle back and they reassembled it. Maybe they didn't tighten that hex like your saying.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I have a newer savage 110 and had this same issue popped up last year with mine. Dirty firing pin and spring was to blame. Some replace the spring with a slightly heavier after market model but I'd give it a good cleaning, followed by a very light lube and see if that helps.

I'll give that a try too!

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I'd touch back and post my findings on this issue I was having. One thing I knew for a fact was that my bolt/action worked great on my previous rifle before I built this new rifle using the same bolt/action. I work at a gun manufacturing shop and decided to cerakote all my accents black including my bolt handle. Well when they tore my bolt down to paint it, they lost a little washer that rides between the two springs on my firing pin. Once I got a new washer in there she shoots like a charm. I learned that no matter what the circumstances are, don't ever trust the work that's been done by a professional lol!:mad:

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you are right! I had a brand new Savage 111 trophy hunter and it misfired on a nice buck during late season state land hunt. I had the rifle in a good amount of rain the day before, it was also pretty cold and when I took the gun apart it appears to have been fowled up. Not too happy it didn't go bang at that moment but I'm hoping it was my fault and not the rifle. Not the best picture but definitely a light strike.

Does anyone know where I can get a heavier spring for the 111? It supposedly has the same bolt as the 110/10 but the spring linked in the comments I previously bought and is about 7 times too long.. I guess they changed their bolts somewhat recently.

Attachments

• signal-2018-11-25-171400.jpg
    signal-2018-11-25-171400.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 4

JFK

WKR
I hope you are right! I had a brand new Savage 111 trophy hunter and it misfired on a nice buck during late season state land hunt. I had the rifle in a good amount of rain the day before, it was also pretty cold and when I took the gun apart it appears to have been fowled up. Not too happy it didn't go bang at that moment but I'm hoping it was my fault and not the rifle. Not the best picture but definitely a light strike.

Does anyone know where I can get a heavier spring for the 111? It supposedly has the same bolt as the 110/10 but the spring linked in the comments I previously bought and is about 7 times too long.. I guess they changed their bolts somewhat recently.

I’d clean the bolt and take it to the range and run a box of ammo through it. Funny you said it happened first while hunting as that’s what happened to me. Had a nice pig in my scope...pulled the trigger and heard a “click”. I jacked another round into the chamber and it went bang and got the pig but picked up the first round and had a light primer strike. I cleaned the entire bolt assembly with brake cleaner then put a very, very light coat of clp on everything, basically just wiped everything with a patch soaked in clp, and it hasn’t done it since and I have a couple hundred rounds through it since then. I’d try this before swapping the spring out.