Trout creek traditional

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
New trad hunter here and I completely spaced putting trout creek traditional in Oregon for my second choice and am hoping to grab a leftover tag if there are any available. Has anyone here hunted that area? Is it worth it to put in for next year?

slvrslngr

WKR
Yes, it’s an unlimited tag, but I’m not sure they sell tags after the draw. I’ve hunted it 4 times but been unsuccessful. The deer tend to be in pockets and it can take some time to find them. There are some huge bucks in there but they’re not under every sagebrush bush, they’re big because they know how to hide. A pretty big fire burned a good chunk of the unit a few years back and pushed a bunch of the deer out, though they may be coming back. If you go, be prepared as it’s remote and pretty rough with only a few decent roads. I’ve been chased out twice by snow and that was early to mid September. Bring good binos and a spotter and be prepared to spend a lot of time behind them.

Vargasm

FNG
It is a draw tag now, they offer 300 tags for that area. You can still draw it on second choice but would have had to put in for it before the draw. Left over tags came out today and it was not one of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I may spend some time in there this year and decide if it’s worth putting in for next year. Do all my looking from a distance so not to disturb anyone else’s hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
It used to be unlimited tags, not sure why they have 300 available now. Generally only 40-50 buy a tag there each year and only a handful of them actually go hunt it. It’s a fun but challenging hunt.