Trout Creeks Oregon Deer

RimRunner

FNG
I plan on drawing the tag this year and Iam willing to take any info anybody would be willing to share? I have realistic expectations about Oregon deer hunting so I know its going to be tough but any info could help. I plan on making an early trip to scout and hopefully a September trip closer to opening day. Thanks

I've hunted the Nevada side and worked a ton in the Oregon side. It's a fun place to hunt, but I don't have particularly high regards for the quality of deer there. There's deer around to be sure, but they get a fair amount of pressure. Hunt mahagony if there is any around, or other high basins with some relief. I think those deer are particularly sensitive to where the sun is at for the day. Seem like the minute the sun drops over the horizon in the evening, they are on their feet.

OP
R

RimRunner

FNG
I've hunted the Nevada side and worked a ton in the Oregon side. It's a fun place to hunt, but I don't have particularly high regards for the quality of deer there. There's deer around to be sure, but they get a fair amount of pressure. Hunt mahagony if there is any around, or other high basins with some relief. I think those deer are particularly sensitive to where the sun is at for the day. Seem like the minute the sun drops over the horizon in the evening, they are on their feet.
Thanks for that, as far as quality do you think its a lack of age issue?

Thanks for that, as far as quality do you think its a lack of age issue?
Oh it's probably a handful of things. That fire that burned through there in 2012 must have changed the brush communities in there (used to be huge flats of bitterbrush), which I'm sure doesn't help forage quality overall. I think that there has been some hunting pressure from essentially OTC bow hunters too. Not that their efficacy is that high, but I think folks that travel all the way out there are likely to kill a deer if given chance. All speculation of course, but that would be my sense.

When I hunted the NV side, far and away the biggest buck wasn't anything particularly spectacular (IMHO), but was generally regarded as a good one by the folks we spoke with out there. He had a big frame, but even in a really wet year (2019) it just seemed like he didn't "finish" at the ends of his tines. Not to take anything away from the deer or the hunt (which was spectacular), but if you're looking for a true giant I don't think it would be my first choice.

OP
R

RimRunner

FNG
Oh it's probably a handful of things. That fire that burned through there in 2012 must have changed the brush communities in there (used to be huge flats of bitterbrush), which I'm sure doesn't help forage quality overall. I think that there has been some hunting pressure from essentially OTC bow hunters too. Not that their efficacy is that high, but I think folks that travel all the way out there are likely to kill a deer if given chance. All speculation of course, but that would be my sense.

When I hunted the NV side, far and away the biggest buck wasn't anything particularly spectacular (IMHO), but was generally regarded as a good one by the folks we spoke with out there. He had a big frame, but even in a really wet year (2019) it just seemed like he didn't "finish" at the ends of his tines. Not to take anything away from the deer or the hunt (which was spectacular), but if you're looking for a true giant I don't think it would be my first choice.
Well I really appreciate the insight Iam not sure there is a place in Oregon I could pick over the rest for a true giant but I do like the limited tag numbers in the trouts and the remote areas give me hope, and I really wanna use my points and get back to using Oregon as an every couple year opportunity hunt and go chase critters in other states, did you have better luck up high in the aspens or hunting the rocky rims etc down low?

Well I really appreciate the insight Iam not sure there is a place in Oregon I could pick over the rest for a true giant but I do like the limited tag numbers in the trouts and the remote areas give me hope, and I really wanna use my points and get back to using Oregon as an every couple year opportunity hunt and go chase critters in other states, did you have better luck up high in the aspens or hunting the rocky rims etc down low?
It's hard to really pin it down. We hunted high for a number of reasons (familiarity, limited mobility with a minor vehicle issue) and found a couple bachelor groups early. Didn't hardly see a deer in the Aspens in early October, which seemed odd. I hear tale all the time of some stompers that turn up out of the flats though. Just got to spend a lot of time looking.

Extrapale

WKR
There are deer from the top to the bottom year round. They have slashed the archery tags this year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
R

RimRunner

FNG
There are deer from the top to the bottom year round. They have slashed the archery tags this year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That should help and i would guess most guys are back home my mid september its not an close to town hunting spot, iam gonna hopefully get to make a trip up there while they are chasing them around maybe talk to a couple guys. I know some guys who hunt it during the archery season but they chase any stalkable buck for the most part being that its traditional only so admittedly they arent digging around for the big guys as much

I could be wrong but how I read the regs trout creek for archery was a draw and tradition bow only before they changed all of eastern Oregon deer archery to a draw this year? But I didn’t dig really far into it since I’m not ready to dive into archery deer yet. I do know my cousin’s husband and brother in-law shot really nice 180+ bucks each this past year.

Pueblo

FNG
I could be wrong but how I read the regs trout creek for archery was a draw and tradition bow only before they changed all of eastern Oregon deer archery to a draw this year? But I didn’t dig really far into it since I’m not ready to dive into archery deer yet. I do know my cousin’s husband and brother in-law shot really nice 180+ bucks each this past year.
Since 1997 it's been a draw hunt for archery, and Traditional only for about 20 years. In recent years the tag number was unlimited, or high enough be available as a 2nd choice draw. This year they've reduced the tag numbers to accommodate about the number of typical first choices in the past. With all the other units going draw it will change some behavior in an unknowable way.