Trout Fishing Pagosa Spring / Durango Area

wavygravy

FNG
Hi All, the wife and I are taking a few weeks to stay near Durango / Pagosa springs come August and I've been doing my homework for some fly fishing spots in the area. Either way I thought I would ask if there's any pointers in the area and what flies are good that time of year.

I've already booked a guide for a float trip one day, other than that Im also looking at the East / West forks of San Juan (where accessible), Williams creek below the dam, parts of the Piedra (although still figuring out how to get there to accessible spots). I'm struggling to find anything near Durango that would work tho.

I've also been watching the flows recently and it looks really really low. Are there any general streams that work better than most during a drought? I'm far from a trophy hunter, just like to catch anything that swims and maybe catch a couple for dinner one night.

Pic for attention. travis3.jpgAppreciate it!

azexp

FNG
@wavygravy Was up there for a couple weeks. Some of the guides have acres to private water on Los Lobos and Florida that can be fun. Also, floating the lower San Juan below trophy brown is a all day adventure in October and a lot of fun.

I was an Easy Fork and flows we're good and fun. Little bead heads worked great and the Salmon Fly hatch just started.

Also, Wolf Creek and Rio Grande above South Fork were good.

Rio Grand was hitting large fluffy Royal Wulff
20210712_102747.jpg

West Fork San Juan
20210705_142451.jpg

azexp

FNG
@wavygravy Was up there for a couple weeks. Some of the guides have acres to private water on Los Lobos and Florida that can be fun. Also, floating the lower San Juan below trophy brown is a all day adventure in October and a lot of fun.

I was an Easy Fork and flows we're good and fun. Little bead heads worked great and the Salmon Fly hatch just started.

Also, Wolf Creek and Rio Grande above South Fork were good.

Rio Grand was hitting large fluffy Royal Wulff
View attachment 311101

West Fork San Juan
View attachment 311102
*Lower San Juan below Trophy Water for Trophy Browns

*Los Pinos....not Los Lobos