Truck bed camping Insulation

bdg848

WKR
I would like to set up my truck bed with topper for camping, and camping in the winter specifically, but I still would like to be able to use the truck as a truck. I have seen several videos on insulating the topper with foam insulation sheets and reflectix glued to the ceiling. The floor is also pretty simple, I think. It would simply be plywood cut to the footprint of the truck bed with sheets of insulation underneath and carpet on top. The side walls are where I am stuck. There are lots of contours, indents, and odd shapes (wheel wells, etc.) on the sides that would make it very difficult to add insulation. I'm not sure exactly how to get it done...Is it even worth trying to insulate the sides? If not, is it worth insulating the roof if you have the walls exposed? I will do the floor either way.

I'm also trying to decide on the best layout to sleep two people so if you have any pictures, I'd love to see them. Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
We ran a piece of conduit front to back at the upper corner of the topper and use an old comforter cut in half like a curtain on either side and the front. It went from floor to roof. You could keep the windows cracked this way and it didn't get so wet in there. Condensation can be a problem if you can't insulate every nook and cranny. We didn't use any insulation on the tailgate or rear hatch, but another curtain would have worked there. It was comfortable well into the negative temps.

My dad flipped the topper over and we used pourable expanding foam to insulate the roof. It was left over from a boat my grandfather restored.

Jeremy

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
I have been camping in my truck bed with the cap for 20 years with temps down the single digits. I have had three different trucks with three different caps and all have been set up the same way with the same results.

I keep things as simple as possible because I like to stay mobile and don't like wasting time setting up and breaking camp. Practicing with layout over the years has always come back to the simplest setup for me.

My truck has an 8' bed which I think is best for camping in. The cap is about 4-6inches taller than the cab of the truck and has the felt lining in it from the factory. I have a full length opening window on the drivers side which helps with setup and use quite a bit when I don't have my insulation in place.

I simply run 4 2X6 boards across the top of the bed rails and lay 1/2 inch plywood on top. I screw the plywood to the 2X6 boards to keep things in place. I also keep the plywood shy of the walls to let any leaks or condensation from the windows run down without getting anything on the platform wet.

I used to just use carpet on the bunk for padding to sleep on but now I have two pads I use. I use both if camping with someone or just one if its just me.

For insulation, I just use 3 pieces of 1 inch foam boards. 1 on each side and one behind the cap. They help with keeping stuff on the sleeping platform dry and help conceal the bed from prying eyes. I use a Buddy heater for the heat source and have never been cold. Unless its in the single digits, i can't even sleep with the heater on anything but pilot. I already know about all the concerns about use the heater inside.....crack a window and use a detector and life will go on.

Usually I don't even use a heater unless its really cold and even then its just before going to sleep and when waking up. I should mention that my sleep platform is only 6' long. Its nice to have the extra room at the end of the truck bed to put shoes on. All gear is stored nicely underneath in plastic totes. I simply tie ropes to bins that I push in by the cap so I can just pull them out without crawling in after them. Usually thats the stuff rarely needed. Usually I keep my backpack and rifle in the truck when sleeping and move it to the back when driving.

I have never gotten carried away with insulation because with the heater its just not needed. That said, I usually don't keep a lot of water if it's really cold during the day as that will freeze. I am usually by a water source anywhere I go so thats not a big deal for me. Drinks usually stay good in the cooler without freezing.

I had a camper very similar to a Callen Camper on two trucks. Aluminum skin, insulation and wood frame. They did much better than fiberglass shells in cold. I also had a wood framed carpet kit to insulate against the metal bed.

I don’t run a shell on my truck anymore and prefer to just sleep on the ground or a cot. I have a pretty good bedroll system that is fast and comfortable.

Whitty

FNG
I have ran my topper camp set up the last three years...no insulation on the top or sides. I built drawers and sleep on the platform above. For cooler temps, I put a twin size foam egg crate (trimmed) on top of the plywood then a klymit insulated luxe air pad on top of that. Sleep inside a big Cabelas rectangle sleeping bag (comfy) and have also thrown a down quilt over me sometimes as I sleep cold. Crack a side window for condensation and been very happy. I can interchange my sleeping pads and sleeping bags depending on temps.

curt514

FNG
I have a factory covered Snug Top shell and a bed rug inside of the bed. I have not been in really cold temps with it but last year I was in low 30F temps in Montana and I slept with the side vent windows open. Still about 45F in the cab. I did have my sea-to-summit insulated pad but I slept with my sleeping bad unzipped. Not bad at all but the 5.5ft bed is pretty cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Whatever canopy you get, get it carpet lined. Then buy a bedrug for your bed. With those two things and whatever good quality sleeping pad, you'll be able to sleep back there comfortably. I have that set up and sleep more nights than I'd like to admit in my truck bed with my 20 degree quilt and no additional heat and am in heaven. The bed rug is the single greatest purchase for a truck bed that you crawl in. Insulates great and feels so good on the knees and hands when crawling around.

+3 on the bedrug.

Only problem I’ve had is the canopy door freezing shut. A few minutes running the Mr Buddy unlocked it but sort of freaked me out at first.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of good ways to do it, but no great ways unless you make permanent mods, imo. My favorite setup was in an old Tacoma. I built modular cabinets that I could pop in over the wheel wells and slept on a futon cut to fit between them. I used an old 21" motorcycle inner tube, half inflated, as a gasket between the back and the passenger compartment so I could run the heat in the morning if it was really cold. Usually though two candle lanterns provided enough heat. With a good bag that'd easily get me into the negative temps.

Things can get drippy from condensation in the wrong conditions, though not as much as I thought. Good to have a towel to wipe down the ceiling.

I agree on the 8 foot bed and the bedrugs. I have a short bed and it gets tight fast in bad weather. Would love some extra space to spread out.

sasquatch

WKR
I have a factory covered Snug Top shell and a bed rug inside of the bed. I have not been in really cold temps with it but last year I was in low 30F temps in Montana and I slept with the side vent windows open. Still about 45F in the cab. I did have my sea-to-summit insulated pad but I slept with my sleeping bad unzipped. Not bad at all but the 5.5ft bed is pretty cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sasquatch

WKR
Plenty of good ways to do it, but no great ways unless you make permanent mods, imo. My favorite setup was in an old Tacoma. I built modular cabinets that I could pop in over the wheel wells and slept on a futon cut to fit between them. I used an old 21" motorcycle inner tube, half inflated, as a gasket between the back and the passenger compartment so I could run the heat in the morning if it was really cold. Usually though two candle lanterns provided enough heat. With a good bag that'd easily get me into the negative temps.

Things can get drippy from condensation in the wrong conditions, though not as much as I thought. Good to have a towel to wipe down the ceiling.

I agree on the 8 foot bed and the bedrugs. I have a short bed and it gets tight fast in bad weather. Would love some extra space to spread out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Slick idea sasquatch.

Have toyed with customizing a tarp that'll cover that area and let me open my sliders during rainstorms. Something like that would be really easy to rig.

KyleR1985

WKR
Found one on Craigslist today that I might go pick up. Do I need to be seriously worried about it melting something beneath or on the floor immediately in front of it?

I have the little model that screws on top of small bottle. I got the adapter hose, and mounted it to a 2x4 that goes across a corner of bed and I run the hose to a bottle outside. Or o just stand it up on a small bottle on the lip of the bed cover pointed inwards. I don’t have anything within 2’ of the front of it, maybe further. I haven’t had any issues.

I use that one

When you guys are using most of the bed as a sleeping area, where do you like to store the rest of your gear?

howiegirl

FNG
HI all! I am embarking on my first truck topper build out project and it is currently 20F outside where I live in Montana. I am considering best options for insulation and for dealing with any condensation issues. A lot of people have suggested lining my fiberglass topper with carpet but I would like more insulation than that. Does it make sense to glue polysio foam board insulation in the inside of my topper and then line it with carpet? Will that handle any condensation? Or should I first line it with carpet? I am also considering thermofiber for insulation. Does anyone have experience with that?